Mayor Pitches Governing Changes

emerging.me

If the city manager is ineffective, then the responsiblity lies with the Mayor and council to remedy the situation. They can tell him to ship up or ship out. There is no guarantee a "strong mayor" will be effective either. If he/she isn't effective, you are stuck with them until the next election. A city manager can be fired in one day.

As for vision, that should be provided by elected officials, primarily the Mayor. It is the city manager's job as an administrator to carry out that vision on a day-to-day basis.

When was the last time a city employee got shipped out for being totally ineffective? Have you worked with any city employees? At least we the people can elect a mayor instead of a city manager who will sit there as long as he wants. It is the Mayors job for a vision but if he doesn't have the means to execute it, it will never work.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was the last time a city employee got shipped out for being totally ineffective? Have you worked with any city employees? At least we the people can elect a mayor instead of a city manager who will sit there as long as he wants. It is the Mayors job for a vision but if he doesn't have the means to execute it, it will never work.

When was the last time a city employee got shipped out for being totally ineffective?

Leona Plaugh, the city manager, less than two (one?) years ago

Have you worked with any city employees?

I have dealt with many of them, to truly "work" with them, I would have to be a city of Columbia employee, which I have never been. For the most part, they were capable people. What is your point?

At least we the people can elect a mayor instead of a city manager who will sit there as long as he wants.

Coble has not had significant opposition since his first election. The last two city managers were fired or told to resign. Neither was a long-timer.

It is the Mayors job for a vision but if he doesn't have the means to execute it, it will never work.

So all of the thousands of cities that have the council-manager form of government are being lead by the city manager and the Mayor and Council (which hires the city manager) are just figureheads? Columbia's problem is not that the garbage doesn't get picked up or the criminals don't get arrested. The problem is that the Mayor and council refuse to LEAD. The Mayor does not state an agenda, pursue it, and see it through. The Homeless problem, the Transit Authority funding issue, the baseball stadium, are all matters that he needs to take a stand on, and lead the way to an implemented solution. That means sitting down with parties that no mayor or city manager controls. Parties like USC, Lexington County officials, non-profit directors, etc. That kind of leadership comes from vision and hard work, not having the power to fire the garbage man or a cop.

When was the last time a city employee got shipped out for being totally ineffective?

Leona Plaugh, the city manager, less than two (one?) years ago

Have you worked with any city employees?

I have dealt with many of them, to truly "work" with them, I would have to be a city of Columbia employee, which I have never been. For the most part, they were capable people. What is your point?

At least we the people can elect a mayor instead of a city manager who will sit there as long as he wants.

Coble has not had significant opposition since his first election. The last two city managers were fired or told to resign. Neither was a long-timer.

It is the Mayors job for a vision but if he doesn't have the means to execute it, it will never work.

So all of the thousands of cities that have the council-manager form of government are being lead by the city manager and the Mayor and Council (which hires the city manager) are just figureheads? Columbia's problem is not that the garbage doesn't get picked up or the criminals don't get arrested. The problem is that the Mayor and council refuse to LEAD. The Mayor does not state an agenda, pursue it, and see it through. The Homeless problem, the Transit Authority funding issue, the baseball stadium, are all matters that he needs to take a stand on, and lead the way to an implemented solution. That means sitting down with parties that no mayor or city manager controls. Parties like USC, Lexington County officials, non-profit directors, etc. That kind of leadership comes from vision and hard work, not having the power to fire the garbage man or a cop.

I haven't been here long (Columbia) to answer all the questions. I just know what Columbia has now is totally ineffective. The bureaucracy in Columbia is absolutely amazing! I have done business in many cities and have not seen anything like Columbia. Charlie Austin has just added to it with naming several assistant city managers. Just what the city needs more managers. Maybe a strong mayor is not the answer but what is happening now certainly isn't working. Maybe a whole new council needs to be elected to get things done. No matter if is strong mayor or any other government, a common vision is needed and right now we do not have that. Many councilman/woman lack vision on what is good for the long term state of this city. The city should have more incentives now than ever to promote residential and business growth instead they have fealt they have already done enough. They have short vision and don't realize the economic impact these things could have and also make it a much more vibrant city.

OK, I will admit that right now, I see two possible weaknesses in the leadership of Columbia: a failure of implementation (the editorial had it right; Columbia has had more studies done on it than a lab rat), and allowing USC to strongarm the city out of things that would ultimately benefit the citizens of the region (not allowing the Panthers to play their first full season at Williams-Brice Stadium is a PRIME example of this).

I would like to know what are some stark contrasts between Columbia's leadership of yesteryear and the leadership today. I believe that at this point, Columbia needs to be more aggressive in overseeing the coordination of all of the proposed projects/developments in the city, and I think it takes a strong-mayor system to see this realized in its fullness.

Some would say the joint-use stadium scenario; one that almost occurred was the near-demolition of the historic house that now serves as the lobby of the Inn at USC. This would go hand in hand with the demolition of houses in the University Hill neighborhood in the '60s. A good example of the opposite is how the city has insisted that USC address the potential parking problem if the baseball stadium is built in the Vista.

A commission studying a possible change in the form of municipal government in Columbia says that council members have been focused on individual neighborhood issues to the neglect of an overall vision of the city (surprise, surprise).

The most interesting (and somewhat telling) part of the article:

Since [assuming the city manager position in 2003], Austin said he has developed a process for building a strategic plan...

The process would include staff and council retreats, a joint planning session and public hearings. Austin said he would then prepare a final strategic plan for presentation to council...

Commission chairman Patton Adams expressed concern that no council members offered a planning process or seemed to know that Austin

The first thing that needs to occur is for the mayor's job o pay a living wage and be a full time job. How much can a part time mayor possibly accomplish?

i think mayor coble did a okay job, but compared to all the other comparable cities, what changes did we really see in columbia, okay he did get us the meridian building, while every other city has had double or thriple the developments we've had in the downtown area.i personally think that it's time for a change, it's no reason why columbia shouldn't have been on the same level as our neighboring states metropolitian cities. i seen columbia turn so many things away in the 90's, that would have gave the city more recongition. Some of the things south carolina doesn't support, such as alcohol on sundays, tattoo's, etc, our neighboring states captializing off of us. we need new blood in our government, to see that our state should capitalize off of these millions of dollars our state brings to N.c. and Ga. when is enough really enough? s.c. needs to be more entreprenuerial when trying to market the state. why would a high end paying job more here? its all about marketing, we have to market ourself better than other cities, or even other states.

• 2 weeks later...

More criticisms of Columbia's council-manager form of government; granted, both are coming from the same person (The State columnist Warren Bolton) but both address the issue from two different perspectives:

Council was meddlesome, had no vision, 2001 report said

MBA student, commission ask city same question: What's the plan?

In response to the second article, the city's lack of a mission statement or strategic plan is hardly the result of the council-manager form of government. Charlotte city council has a strategic plan, and the city operates with a council-manager form of government. I believe that Knoxville also has a council-manager form of government, and the mayor has outlined the mission, goals, and vision of the city.

The members of city council need to understand that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I understand that each member is to represent and look out for the well being of his/her district, but not to the detriment/disadvantage of the city as a whole.

While city-county consolidation would go a LONG way in providing leadership to Columbia and Richland County, Bolton says that the state constitution prohibits multicounty consolidation (see that editorial here). Columbia and Irmo both are located in Richland and Lexington counties. Here's what the constitution actually states about city-county consolidation:

ARTICLE VIII, SECTION 12. Consolidation of counties with municipalities and other political subdivisions.

Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Constitution, any county may consolidate with the municipalities and other political subdivisions within its limits into a single unit of government, which shall be known as a consolidated political subdivision.

The General Assembly shall provide by law for a referendum on such consolidations and for procedures for the framing of a charter for the new political subdivision. Such referendum shall be held only upon the request of the governing body of the county or upon petition of ten percent of the registered electors within the county.

Such consolidation shall not take place unless approved by a majority of the qualified electors voting on the questions of the consolidation and on the charter therefor in the same election or in successive elections held for these purposes. All municipalities and all other political subdivisions within the county not continued by the approved charter shall cease to exist at the effective date of the consolidation.

Any political subdivision created by such a consolidation shall have the power to frame, to publish, to adopt, and to amend a charter setting forth its governmental structure and organization, powers, duties, functions, and responsibilities. No charter so framed shall contain any provision inconsistent with this Constitution or with general law provisions applicable in all municipalities or counties enacted pursuant to Section 14 of this article.

Such charter or charter amendments shall not become effective until approved by a majority of the qualified electors of such political subdivisions voting on the question.

I don't really see it prohibited here; maybe I missed it or its located elsewhere in the constitution?

At any rate, at the least, council members need to be on the same page and the city needs a comprehensive vision for the future, and it needs to be articulated and made known to the citizens of the city.

I could write a book here, but I'll just mention a few things:

Why isn't the Mayor and Council writing the strategic plan instead of the city manager?

No mayor in SC, including Charleston's "strong mayor" Joe Riley has veto power over the city council. The only southern city that I know of that does is Jacksonville FL. State law would have to be changed to give a mayor that power. In most cities, it isn't so problematic to get the mayor and council on the same page and to understand their proper roles.

I think the issue with Consolidation and the constitution is, that certain issues are not addressed. There is no provision for handling bi-county cities and towns. I don't think the localities could "make it up as they go".

Speaking of consolidation, has there been any word on the proposed Cherokee/Gaffney merger?

Lastly, I hope the articles in today's State shed some light on why I find Coble and the council to be less than steller in their job performance. Better leaders would provide better leadership.

• 1 month later...

Columbia and Richland County : a South Carolina community, 1740-1990 by John Hammond Moore. I checked it out at Winthrop's library. Looks to be some pretty good stuff in there.

Main Street looked SO VIBRANT back in the day. It's almost hard to believe that it was Columbia. But I guess that can be said for just about all main streets in significantly-sized cities before the automobile got popular.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, they don't want to give up any power. I'm still in favor of a strong mayor form of government. Any businessperson knows that a company without a full time CEO will not reach its full potential.

Coleman quotes the unintelligible Rickenmann? What's wrong, she can't come up with her own opinions? I have had the occasion to write Rickenmann about issues on 2 different occasions; both times I received very informal email responses with poor grammar, poor spelling and no salutation or closure. IMO, Rickenmann does not need another term.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

From the latest edition of the Free Times:

A report on what if any changes should be made to Columbia's government remains unfinished, months after it was anticipated to be released. The report might be completed this month, but it's anyone's guess. At Mayor Bob Coble's urging, City Council appointed a commission in early 2005 to study city government and recommend structural reforms. The commission held meetings and took testimony for months, but about a year-and-a-half after the group was formed, its final report is still in the works. Patton Adams, commission chairman and former mayor, had said he hoped to release the document a few weeks after the April 4 city elections. Adams says the commission is waiting on its drafting committee. Attorney Bill Boyd chairs the committee. "We're drafting, and expect to be through shortly," Boyd says. "I'd say in August for sure." Coble says that would be fine with him. "I'd rather them take their time and get it right," he says.

Surprise, surprise.

• 1 month later...

We finally hear something from the planning commission studying Columbia's governmental structure. They've pretty much ruled out a full, traditional strong mayor form of government, largely due to predominantly Black neighborhoods feeling as though their voice and representation would be diminished. Instead, the commission is exploring a compromise

• 5 months later...

Here's an editorial in today's edition of The State which essentially makes the point that Coble really doesn't have the authority to carry out any of the initiatives/programs mentioned in this year's State of the City address.

While I agree that under the council-manager form of government that the mayor doesn't have the full authority to implement everything he/she would like to see come about in the city, I think this editorial may be making too much of this. I still think that, even under the current form of government, the mayor is still charged with being a leader first and foremost. That's the number one asset needed in order to move all of this forward. I'd like to see an example of any other city with a council-manager form of government that has failed to get things proposed by the mayor done.

HMMM, so the Mayor and city council don't get to vote on the budget that the city manager provides them? I don't think so, but I do seem to rememeber lots of talk in those hearings about how the council is largely clueless as to what is in the budget and instead spends their time melding in the city manager's job.

I wish 'The State' would dispense with this nonsense bandwagon they are on. All it does is provide a convenient (yet lame) excuse to the city leaders when things don't get done.

Coble needs to retire nad let Kirk Finlay III take the helm. If he is half the mayor his father was, the discussion of chnaging the form of government would cease.

Archived