Mayor Pitches Governing Changes

emerging.me

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Finlay III can make it on his own merit then I'm all for it. Don't just support the guy because his father was a visionary.

When it comes to local government structure, I can't decide what would be best. The reality is that it comes from how effective the structure is. In some cities- typically larger ones- a strong mayor is beneficial because you have the diversity needed and the population base to support that style of government. More importantly, there are more people to step up if one mayor doesn't cut it. In a smaller town, that may not be the case. A more council orient form of government amy be more appropriate because you have to come to a consensus on issues, rather than have one guy decide things.

As far as Columbia goes, I can't say I have a problem with they way things are going because obviously something is working just fine.

^ I definitely agree that the Main street rework, Canalside, and Air South could have been handled much better than they were. I'm hoping, and it looks to be the case, that they may have learned from the past mistakes.

I also think the Five Points and Lady Street work didn't do Columbia any favors in attracting business. Both took much longer than planned and the city really seemed to be uncaring towards the business owners.At least, that's how it came off. Maybe the lessons learned will help in making the Main Street revitalization go a lot smoother. I sure hope so, because that's a major corridor and any snafus will be noted.

• 8 months later...

The commission studying possible restructuring of Columbia city government will try to agree on a report and recommendations Monday after nearly three years of delays. Those recommendations include adding a full-time mayor to its current council-manager system, changing election dates to coincide with November general elections and consolidating more of its services with the county. The draft report stops short of advocating a switch to a strong-mayor form of government, which would eliminate the city manager and have the mayor and his or her staff run day-to-day operations. It introduces a hybrid form that would make the mayor

• 4 weeks later...

Archived