• Miami
    • Houston
    • Uptown Houston
    • Dallas
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston really is only bested by Chicago and NYC maybe LA, Houston has a lot to be desired in some areas but its skyline is top notch if not the best in NA. Always heard their lack of zoning laws or great lack of them let developers reach for the sky and be free to experiment. Turned out well I think . . . lol won't make it pass Atlanta in my mind for the regional hub but will beat A every day as far as beautiful skyline shots in my mind! Just more, taller, and to me beautiful skyscrapers.

middle sized, ok Im such a homer, but Pittsburgh being as dense as it is and such a variety of styles I would say as middle (although I love to think of us as big its not 1970 anymore, we have been surpassed!) other middles would be Orlando, very nice, Jax is nice, Nashville is very unique, Detroit (although you could make a case of it being big not middle) is very nice as well.

I really think Houston is unique. I don't really see how it is just like LA or NYC or Chicago even.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both NYC and Chitown have more of 'em and they have more above 500 feet, 750 feet, 1000 feet etc. (if you include the twin towers which I do, no one can take those away from us!)

not to mention chicago invented them and NYC invented the steel cage modern ones (with Pittsburgh's help lol).

Houston I would put a close third though.

Dallas is ok, better then Pittsburgh or Cleveland but I wouldn't put it in front of Toronto, LA, Seattle, Atlanta, Charlotte even I think, possibly Boston, Philly and SF (just none too tall cause of zoning in SF) and of course the three I mentioned above.

Well, I read somewhere that d'town Houston is the world's 7th largest, and when you factor in all of Houston's skylines, and pretend it is all one, you have the world's 3rd largest skyline.

What is so unique about Houston is multiple skylines. Downtown, Uptown, Energy Corrdior, Woodlands, Sugarland City Centre, Galveston Strand, Greenway Plaza, Texas Medical District, Museum District, Port District, Greenspoint, and Northline.

edit: I apologize for not showing my source like I always do, I just forget. <_<

Well, I read somewhere that d'town Houston is the world's 7th largest, and when you factor in all of Houston's skylines, and pretend it is all one, you have the world's 3rd largest skyline.

What is so unique about Houston is multiple skylines. Downtown, Uptown, Energy Corrdior, Woodlands, Sugarland City Centre, Galveston Strand, Greenway Plaza, Texas Medical District, Museum District, Port District, Greenspoint, and Northline.

edit: I apologize for not showing my source like I always do, I just forget.  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whoa, I heard of downtown and then the Galleria district (with Williams energy being the only 500 ft.+ tower (i think) outside an urban downtown). Where are all these others coming from?

Some of these like Texas Medical, are within the scope of "downtown" within a mile or so of it am i right? Also Galveston? I am sure they have office towers down there but last I checked (and correct me if I'm wrong) there were no towers over 250 feet or so out there or 300 feet. True it is a business core and a "downtown" but I know some tiny burghs that have a few 150-200 foot buildings, heck Metro Pittsburgh would have 10 or 20 "urban cores" if that was the case, don't even want to think what a Chicago or LA would have.

Let me know if I'm wrong on that one, I do know Houston downtown and the galleria district are very impressive downtown cores and I would imagine there are bookoo office parks and 10-15 story towers in clusters throughout the metroplex, but on a national scale if you call those downtowns then peoria and virginia city have 2 or 3. If there are other clusters of 250 ft+ towers (a few 200+ 250+ maybe one 300+ tower) outside of dtown and galleria (is that uptown?) let me know, I am very interested in Houston, I think two things they got so right down there is the skyscraper development and the interstate system--they got some other things so wrong but on those 2 things I envy the city :thumbsup:

[

whoa, I heard of downtown and then the Galleria district (with Williams energy being the only 500 ft.+ tower (i think) outside an urban downtown).  Where are all these others coming from?

Some of these like Texas Medical, are within the scope of "downtown" within a mile or so of it am i right?  Also Galveston?  I am sure they have office towers down there but last I checked (and correct me if I'm wrong) there were no towers over 250 feet or so out there or 300 feet.  True it is a business core and a "downtown" but I know some tiny burghs that have a few 150-200 foot buildings, heck Metro Pittsburgh would have 10 or 20 "urban cores" if that was the case, don't even want to think what a Chicago or LA would have.

Let me know if I'm wrong on that one, I do know Houston downtown and the galleria district are very impressive downtown cores and I would imagine there are bookoo office parks and 10-15 story towers in clusters throughout the metroplex, but on a national scale if you call those downtowns then peoria and virginia city have 2 or 3.  If there are other clusters of 250 ft+ towers (a few 200+ 250+ maybe one 300+ tower) outside of dtown and galleria (is that uptown?) let me know, I am very interested in Houston, I think two things they got so right down there is the skyscraper development and the interstate system--they got some other things so wrong but on those 2 things I envy the city :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hazy_downtown_view.jpg

You are seeing a pic of the inner west loop. D'town is excessively dominant in Houston, which I guess is good.

No, I did not name just tiny urban clusters.

Greenway Plaza

GreenwayPlaza-001.jpg

a_renaissancehouston.gif

GreenwayPlaza-002.jpg

grn_bldg.jpg

12Greenway50.jpg

Greenspoint

img_powersky.jpg

gp-night-skyline.jpg

The Woodlands City Centre

woodlands.jpg

Texas Medical District, is actually seperated from D'town by the Rice Village, and 2 miles of expensize neighborhoods near Rice. The Texas Medical District is a terrible place to be without a map or onstar.

clark_clinic_nite.jpg

facultycenter.jpg

Dsc00030L.jpg

4_maersk_houston.jpg

Galveston. The grey building is home to some insurance corporation, or maybe it's a national association...

galveston.jpg

The West Houston Energy Corridor is a 10 mile stretch along Westheimer outside of the loop. Chevron's corporate center among others is along Westheimer. The reason it is considered a skyline by Houstonians is that these buildings are actually 0of notable height, and importance.

Like this one.

R1.jpg

Is that a good answer?

#^%&

I lost the post that had pics that answered you question. Crap! Just do a google search. Greenspoint is big. Greensway is big. Texas Medical Center is big. The Woodlands has a really tall tower, Galveston has a few towers, like the there is a grey one that has some big insurance association, the port district is big, and the Energy Corridor is big.

Miami is an interesting skyline . . . I do think it is one of the most beautiful with how it blends the bay and river into it. I usually think of the best as the biggest tallest and most expansive, Miami does qualify for expansive from what I recall the Freedom tower on the north bay to the beach to downtown to the strip all the way down to Coconut Grove. Something interesting about Miami though Pittsburgh has two taller skyscrapers then Miami's tallest and even the 'burgh isn't considered a mecca for skyscrapers (as far as the Chicagos Houstons and Atlantas go). . . leads me to believe Atlanta and NO and nashville are as tall if not taller, and I know Charlotte, Houston and Dallas have taller. Depends what the criteria is though, Miami is one of the most expansive and one of the most beautiful I have ever seen though, but I like ones that give you a nosebleed too ;)

I agree with you on this one SimCityEmpire, Houston all the way. Miami is nice, but there is just something about the look of Houston's skyline that i love. I know it's stupid but the houston skyline really does make a great postcard. :D If only Houston had some more prominent art deco style skyscrapers mixed in I think it would be up there as my favorite on a national level, except for Chicago maybe.

Houston has size, but I find it's skyscrapers to be very uninspiring. Dallas isn't much better.

Atlanta has some nice buildlings, but needs some density.

Charlotte is nice and some of the better buildings in the south.

Miami also lacks density in places, but has a great mix of old and new. The lights at night are amazing as well.

New Orleans should be on the list.

Archived