• Uptown Houston
    • Dallas
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I say Miami

it is not necessarily the point as to which has the tallest but the most dense and diverse. Houton's is nice but appears to sit in the center of sprawl. Most cities dont allow very tall buildings outside of a specific area. Atlantas is great but there isnt a definate center. not saying that is good or bad. Miami is one of the few cities that I have seen that has as many residential "megastructures" as commercial, if not more.

I do admire all of them in their use of lighting. I hope we see more dramatic uses of lighting in the future

I think Charlotte and Raleigh, either one, is going to have a really nice skyline in a few years. Mecklenburg and Wake counties in NC are growing very rapidly, than the central counties (Fulton, GA, Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, Miami, etc), and light rail is going to make that happen. Cities can't have really big skylines until they have light rail (cities with no mass transit have lower densities, which makes for a bad skyline).

It's between Houston and Atlanta for me. I voted for Atlanta but it could go both ways. Houston's skyline in my opinion is larger and more dense. But Atlanta has a nice collection of buildings such as BOA, Suntrust, Peachtree, etc. Like Miami's two with all the water. But there's so many different skylines lining that coast its hard to judge.

• 3 months later...

the cool thing about houston is its lack of zoning laws, so you have skyscrapers sprinkled throughout the city. the bad thing about houston is that although its central core is big and impressive, it is not all that attractive. There is a large presence of either boxy or just plain boring buildings.

To me, Atlanta is easily the best in the south.

• 3 weeks later...

atl3skylines0kp.jpg

Could someone explain to me of all of these buildings are in location? I didnt even know Atlanta had that many buildings spread out! :huh:

Okay let me take a stab at it...

In the foreground you have what's known as the Perimeter Center area. Alot of this location is actually cut off in the picture you are viewing. The picture is showing the western side of the Perimter Center area which is at the junction of I-285 and GA400. Most of the development is along Ashford-Dunwoody Rd. There is also Perimeter Mall in this location. The buildings you see in the photo are apart of the Concourse development. The King and Queen buildings are listed as the tallest suburban buildings in the US.

This locale can be accessed by three MARTA stations...Medical Center, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and North Springs stations.

The middle skyline is Buckhead. Peachtree Rd is the main thoroughfare. It can also be accessed by GA400 and I-85. This is where Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza are located. This location has been in the spotlight lately with is amazing amount of highrises under construction....many residential or mixed use. Notables are Terminus (485'), The Mansion on Peachtree (580') and 3344 Peachtree (660').

This locale can be accessed by two Marta stations...Lenox and Buckhead stations.

In the distance, of course, is the Midtown and Downtown skylines.

The poor Cumberland skyline always get left off. It is at the junction of I-75 and I-285. From the vantage point of the picture, it is just too far away and would render the shot useless.

I hope this helped you get your bearings on the locations of the buildings in the picture above.

I prefer Houston and Dallas because of the density of their skylines. Atlanta's is too spread out, IMO. It doesn't have a clean "skyline".

Miami has the most impressive collection of buildings but they are spread out all over the place. Downtown's not as impressive in many ways as Brickell and Miami Beach are.

Houston

Houston%20Skyline%201980s%20web.jpg

Dallas

36208520.Skyline.jpg

Archived