W. Cola. Riverfront Development

emerging.me

From WIS-TV...

West Columbia developer, architect to unveil plans for riverside development

(West Columbia) Jan. 4, 2004 - Some argue a developer's decision last year to clear some land between the Congaree River and Alexander Road in West Columbia to make way for a new project harmed the area's natural beauty.

The topic is up for discussion at Tuesday night's West Columbia City Council meeting. That meeting starts at 7:00pm.

Developer Wade Caughman plans 49 upscale homes selling for between $150,000 and $300,000 at the gated, 11-acre Congaree Park.

But, many say the forested Riverwalk area lost its luster when Caughman removed the trees. It provided dense shade and a cool place to exercise, bike ride and walk the dog on hot summer days. Some also put up signs claiming the land was part of an ancient flood plain forest.

Brian Pile says he was disappointed and stopped using the walk when the trees were removed, "When they actually destroyed the riverbank, I was shocked, because my understanding was that we were supposed to leave the Riverwalk and just clear everything else."

The uproar prompted Caughman to strike an agreement with the city to restore much of the vegetation, "When they see a lot of the green space we're putting back, native trees and getting rid of poison ivy, kudzu and privet, and at the end of the day it's going to be much improved."

He promises residents and river walk users will be happy with the outcome.

Caughman and the city's landscape architect are expected to present their plans at the meeting Tuesday night for restoring the green space. City council is expected to vote on the plan.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a green advocate most of the time, and I do think this guy was way out of bounds when he clear cut all that land, but... I think it's going to look better (except maybe from the Riverwalk perspective) once the land is restored. Plus, if his houses don't block it all out (and I don't think they will judging from the plans I've seen) it opens up the view of downtown from that mill village in W. Cola -- that will be a hot little area in a year or two. Also, everyone is talking about how that was an ancient floodplain forest, but I know I've seen old paintings of the W. Columbia riverfront with zero trees on the banks. I'll see if I can find one online.

Archived