Columbia to get an auto plant!?!?

The_sandlapper

I don't know if anyone else caught this article in the business section of "The State" but could Columbia be in the running for an automobile plant? I think I read something in the "Greenville News" about Volkswagon possiblly considering a South Carolina location? Oh well anyway apparentlly C-lum's high quality of life made an impression on the hush-hush visitor, so I guess we'll see?

This is probablly jumping the gun here but the research campus along with a plant? Columbia will definately be diversifying its economy. The state would be like the next Mich, or something. I guess that would have its plus and minuses though?

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Quality of life part of the equation for developers

By C. GRANT JACKSON

Business Editor

The German auto industry executive was on his first trip to Columbia, bringing with him the prospect of a plant location.

But looking at land wasn

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have head the VW was considering a US plant, and SC was on its radar. I didn't know that Cola was an option. I think that would be great. BMW has been great for the Upstate's economy. The best part is not the plant itself, but all of the satellite businesses and services that will come with it. The overall job increase goes far beyond the thousand or so emplyees at the plant.

Governor Sanford is doing a lot for the midlands/lowcountry.

Here is an article from early in December.

------------------------------

Daily Edition: Dec. 6, 2004

by TCC Team (2004-12-06)

VW Looks at a U.S. Factory

A high-ranking Volkswagen AG executive says the German automaker is looking seriously at building an assembly plant in the U.S. VW sales and marketing chief Georg Flandorfer, in an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, said that steep losses at Volkswagen's U.S. unit this year - $1.34 billion - due largely to depreciation of the greenback has prompted serious talk at VW headquarters in Wolfsburg about building an assembly plant that could build both VW and Audi vehicles. A weak dollar means that VW will hard pressed to earn a profit in 2005. This is a reversal of the company's position the last few years. Executives including chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder and board member in charge of North America Jens Neumann have both said often that they hoped to maximize production at the company's Puebla Mexico plant, as well as its facility in Brazil, before taking on the much higher cost proposition of manufacturing in America.

Here is another one related to the potential move. VW Looks at a U.S. Factory

I would love to see VW in the state, anywhere, but I would really love it if they were in the Upstate and if they got involved with ICAR.

Landing VW would be awsome for the state, considering we just landing Boeing for Charleston. Also, rumors are we should be hereing a big annoncement about Piedmont maybe within the next year, but I won't go any further.

I haven't been able to find any verifiable information on whether Volkswagen has indeed scrapped their plans for a U.S. plant, however I think this small article from Advanced Manufacturing states again how prominent the state of South Carolina is when it comes to automotive manufacturing investment potential. :)

UNITED STATES

South Carolina tailors tech training to specific needs

by Duff McCutcheon

South Carolina's employers benefit from the employment training services provided by the Center for Accelerated Technology Training (CATT).

Employers like BMW are able to find highly-trained local talent.

In 1992, when BMW was scouting the southern U.S. for spots to locate a new assembly plant, South Carolina's offer tipped the scales in its favour. While the state offered up the standard package of tax incentives and infrastructure improvements, it also said it would provide 1,200 South Carolinians trained to the exact specs of BMW manufacturing protocol.

Today, close to 5,000 South Carolinians are busy churning out one out of every six new BMWs on the road - including the Z4 Roadster. BMW has poured $2 billion into its operations in the state.

South Carolina is similar to its Dixie neighbours in its desire - and successes - in luring auto investment. Its Center for Accelerated Technology Training (CATT), however, really sets it apart from southern rivals in Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia. The program finds out what a manufacturer needs for trained personnel and then provides it. If a manufacturer requires a certain number of workers trained as laser welders, then CATT advertises for trainees, seeks out the best candidates, finds a trainer (or works with the manufacturer's own professionals) and creates newly minted laser welders for the company.

CATT co-ordinator Chuck Maury says the average tech recruit is 33 years old and has 12.3 years of education. "Payback on our investment is usually reached within 18 to 22 months and we only train for companies that pay a minimum of US$9.50 an hour."

While CATT is affiliated with South Carolina's technical college system, it is in fact quite distinct, although the organization will use state college facilities if training in a certain discipline is required. CATT brings experts from all over the world to fulfill education mandates and will send recruits abroad to learn specific skills.

Even thought the VW auto plant is apparently going to Mexico, I thought I would post this for future reference if another Auto Plant looks to build in the South.

Street Talk: BMW workers get 10% bonus

Posted Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 2:06 am

BMW Manufacturing Co.'s 4,600 employees got a pleasant surprise when they arrived at work Friday morning

• 2 years later...

Archived