Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bay Street nightclub project scrapped

Liz Flaisig

An investment group organized to open a multi-level upscale nightclub on Bay Street has scrapped its plans and is nearly dissolved amid a lawsuit filed by the building's owner.

Orchid LLC has one settlement left to iron out before the five-member group is officially defunct, said Daryl Strickland, a principal in the group and owner of Daryl Powers Salon & Spa in Berkman Plaza.

Strickland said the group does not object to the recently filed lawsuit's allegation that the company broke its lease with Bay Street Warehousing LLC, but does not agree that it committed fraud when Orchid transferred its liquor license to an affiliated company, Double Happiness LLC.

"We can do anything we want with the company's assets," Strickland said. "There was no fraud in the transfer."

Orchid investors defaulted on their $10,000 per month, 5-year lease for an 8,000-square-foot space in the Hudson-Suddath Building because the company discovered one of its principals had misappropriated more than $50,000, Strickland said.

Julia Suddath-Ranne, co-owner of the building, did not return a phone call seeking comment on the suit.

The club would have been a key part of the Bay Street Town Center, a project that Strickland said would benefit Downtown when its restaurants and shops finally materialized.

Strickland said he has begun talking openly about his group's dissolution because of his longtime family ties to Jacksonville and the concern that the lawsuit could have a negative impact on his business.

"I still think [Orchid] is a great project but I don't think it's something we can salvage after what's happened," Strickland said. "I'm the one that's still here, so I'm the one doing the clean-up."

There still a lot of projects in the works for downtown. For example, Fidelity has broken ground on their new office building and parking garages. Coming soon signs for Berkman Plaza II (22 stories) & Churchwell Lofts recently went up. A 13 story office tower is getting ready to go up, next to Fidelity's headquarters. The Fund is making progress (slowly but steady) on the redevelopment on the Laura Street Trio.

The new library, The Carlington, and the Lerner Shops projects are moving full steam ahead. The new northbank riverwalk just opened this week and San Marco Place, The Strand & The Peninsula projects are moving ahead, as well as a planned 9 story hotel at San Marco Riverwalk Village. The reality is, these projects just have taken a back seat for the preparation of the Super Bowl. After the game, it will be interesting to see how fast the city addresses The Barnett, The courthouse, The Jax Landing & old Haydon Burns Library projects.

Old JEA Building -

I haven't heard anything about this one in months. Depending on the court case, I'm sure it will be delayed, since a major component of it is for private law offices and the county courthouse has been delayed.

Riverpointe -

Last time I heard it was preliminary approved. The city seems to be primary focused on the super bowl right now, so it may be one of those projects (ex. The Landing, The Barnett, The Ambassador) sitting in line. Maybe I'll shoot an email over to the developer and see if they'll give us an update.

Shipyards -

It seems like Landmar is going to be taking this project over. I've worked with them a lot and I can say, they have what seems like an unlimited amount of case flow, because their owned by Cresent Resources, who is owned by Duke Energy. If Landmar takes over, expect to see development on that site soon.

There still a lot of projects in the works for downtown.  For example, Fidelity has broken ground on their new office building and parking garages.  Coming soon signs for Berkman Plaza II (22 stories) & Churchwell Lofts recently went up.  A 13 story office tower is getting ready to go up, next to Fidelity's headquarters.  The Fund is making progress (slowly but steady) on the redevelopment on the Laura Street Trio. 

The new library, The Carlington, and the Lerner Shops projects are moving full steam ahead.  The new northbank riverwalk just opened this week and San Marco Place, The Strand & The Peninsula projects are moving ahead, as well as a planned 9 story hotel at San Marco Riverwalk Village.  The reality is, these projects just have taken a back seat for the preparation of the Super Bowl.  After the game, it will be interesting to see how fast the city addresses The Barnett, The courthouse, The Jax Landing & old Haydon Burns Library projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHAT'S THE STATUS OF THE 70 STORY, 901 FOOT BRUNDERBERG TOWER THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BUILT ON THE CORNER OF MAIN AND MONROE EAST OF THE LIBRARY? (ACROSS FROM WHERE THE OLD WENDY'S WAS).

FLORIDAY SKYRISE ORDER

WHAT'S THE STATUS OF THE 70 STORY, 901 FOOT BRUNDERBERG TOWER THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BUILT ON THE CORNER OF MAIN AND MONROE EAST OF THE LIBRARY? (ACROSS FROM WHERE THE OLD WENDY'S WAS).

FLORIDAY SKYRISE ORDER

LOL, Brunderburg Tower? I must admit, I've certainly never heard of anything even remotely similar to what you describe. I assume you were making a joke?

At any rate, the Northwest corner of Main & Monroe is the New Library itself, the Southwest corner is the Police and Fire pension buildings, neither of which are going anywhere. The Northeast corner, currently the library's construction staging area, will (foolishly, in my opinion) be turned into a pocket park/bus parking lot. The Southeast corner is actually a surface parking lot apparently owned by two seperate real estate trusts according to the property records.

quick update, from my window: the lerner building is dead in the water at the moment... haven't seen a worker in about a month and right now the owner has less than a building, pretty much a shell???

any info on this from someone on the inside??

Berkman 2?? what???

from the super bowl USA.... cuban out

I haven't seen any workers lately at the Lerner Building either. A couple of months ago, I remember the city asking that all construction work stop two weeks before Super Bowl week. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I don't know too much about Berkman II either. The only thing I've seen is the new coming soon sign and there was a story about the developer striking a deal with the city to construct the riverwalk immediately after the Super Bowl. So maybe they've decided to proceed. I'm not sure, but haven't they recieved city incentive money before they built phase 1?

LOL, Brunderburg Tower? I must admit, I've certainly never heard of anything even remotely similar to what you describe. I assume you were making a joke?

At any rate, the Northwest corner of Main & Monroe is the New Library itself, the Southwest corner is the Police and Fire pension buildings, neither of which are going anywhere. The Northeast corner, currently the library's construction staging area, will (foolishly, in my opinion) be turned into a pocket park/bus parking lot. The Southeast corner is actually a surface parking lot apparently owned by two seperate real estate trusts according to the property records.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: JUST JOKING....LOL

Yes! We hear some news about Riverpointe! I'm glad they'll be scaled back a little (not too much, I hope) because the original renderings completely dwarf and overpower the Aetna building. What I'd like to see is another Riverwalk-Railroad Crossing, underneath the Acosta bridge, to connect these towers to the fountain area.

Though keep in mind that the original renderings showed buildings that (in comparison to the 300ft Aetna building) were clearly 900+ feet. Of course, as we all know, the developer claims they will be 619ft to roof, 750ft to spire. So hopefully "scaled down" just means that the renderings will actually be to scale this time!!! As opposed to the developer reducing the real project height.

Also, I hate to play Mr. Cynic ... but note that another dailyrecord article today refers to the developer building only a single tower east of Aetna. Frankly, I still don't see how they are going to build either tower, let alone both, without significantly demolishing the lowrise wings of the Aetna building.

Also, sorry if this has been mentioned, but the Peninsula has a brand new website design. http://www.thepeninsulacondos.com/

It's very weird. Very SimCity, in my opinion. Their sales are obviously going well if they can afford to screw around with silly new site designs.

Two noteworthy things:

- The new rendering does NOT show the Strand, even though it will be completed first.

- The Peninsula rendering is clearly and significantly taller than Riverplace tower. If only renderings could ever be trusted ... oh well.

Two noteworthy things:

- The new rendering does NOT show the Strand, even though it will be completed first.

- The Peninsula rendering is clearly and significantly taller than Riverplace tower. If only renderings could ever be trusted ... oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the JaxPride Southbank Charrette, I thought that Granville Tracy (Peninsula / Strand Developer) mentioned that the Peninsula was to be built first and the Strand to follow.

:huh:

The Urb

Archived