Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, another new tenant possibility for the Landing!

Piano bar eyes Landing location

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/st...html?from_rss=1

You know, it seems like things are getting slightly better at the Landing, even though it still looks like crap. Imagine what Sleiman could do with it remodeled!!

Twisted Martini, Starbucks, Benny's Steak & Seafood, Improv, and now this Piano Bar! Sounds good! :)

I don't want to step on any toes here ... but let's call a spade a spade ... This whole Sax Seafood thing is going to be a money losing distaster, and I think the mayor (and everyone else) knows it.

However, Sax is part of the "LaVilla experience" next to the Ritz, and the Gennover's hall money-pit. Several high-profile local groups wanted Sax to happen, and they got what they wanted, regardless of the projects lack of viability. So, in that sense, the stupid location is ironically the real reason Sax happened.

I firmly believe that our city government essentially pays "tributes" to certain local African American group's pet-projects in order to avoid being called racists. (Of course, God forbid, maybe the city shouldn't have leveled the neighborhood in the first place.) Perhaps there's a latent sense of guilt, or maybe it's just fear of tension, but there is clearly a lower standard of scruitiny for some of the token "black community" projects.

Perhaps this is an un-PC observation, but I think it's foolish to ignore the relevant racial issues that sometimes spur or halt development in our urban core.

I agree with you. While I'm in favor of creating the "LaVilla Experience" (it shouldn't have been torn down in the first place), some vision needs to go into what this "experience" should be. Without additional development coming in first, that's a bad location for a restuarant. For proof you don't have to look any further than across the street where another restaurant just closed up about a year ago.

From the Times Union:

Jax Casual Dining, with the promise of creating new jobs and interest in La Villa, was eligible for a $100,000 grant -- getting $81,000 -- for preparing the site, and will receive up to a $1.9 million construction loan from the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission.

So, essentially, yes.

At least it's a loan ... but, eh ... who wants to bet that the restaurant goes into default before they finish paying it off? Nevertheless, I'll have to make a point to eat there once it opens. Who knows, maybe it'll be a great place.

I don't get to eat at as many downtown restaurants as I'd like, since I'm usually only in town on weekends. So many downtown places are still weekday and lunch-only. Anyone know if the new "Chunky Chef" is open nights and/or weekends?

I plan to try Sax out as well. The Ritz Theater also participates in the Art Walk and is accessible by the trolley, so I assume they'll be open for the Art Walk as well. I just wish the city would actually step back and lay out a plan for an actual community in LaVilla, instead of piece mealing all of the land.

I plan to try Sax out as well. The Ritz Theater also participates in the Art Walk and is accessible by the trolley, so I assume they'll be open for the Art Walk as well. I just wish the city would actually step back and lay out a plan for an actual community in LaVilla, instead of piece mealing all of the land.

I wonder why the city chose Brooklyn before LaVilla for an Urban Planning Master Plan? I'm not complaining the Brooklyn is getting attention because it is MUCH needed, but LaVilla should have been first.

asonj, jjosh ...

The city has definitely produced a few masterplans for LaVilla. The most recent was in conjunction with the mass-tranist hub. However, they have never actually acted on anything. This is especially frustrating to me, because the city actually owns most of the vacant land!!!

If I had to guess, the city is holding off on LaVilla for several reasons (all of them extremely shortsighted).

1) They are waiting for the courthouse to get built, and hope to sell off the land to law firms for huge profits.

2) They are stubbornly trying to attract only commercial development to the area, despite the current housing boom.

3) Political forces are opposed to "gentrification" of the area. Councilman Fullwood essentially killed a proposed rowhouse development in LaVilla because it was "too expensive" for the area. The proposed prices? $179,000!!

asonj, jjosh ...

The city has definitely produced a few masterplans for LaVilla. The most recent was in conjunction with the mass-tranist hub. However, they have never actually acted on anything. This is especially frustrating to me, because the city actually owns most of the vacant land!!!

If I had to guess, the city is holding off on LaVilla for several reasons (all of them extremely shortsighted).

1) They are waiting for the courthouse to get built, and hope to sell off the land to law firms for huge profits.

2) They are stubbornly trying to attract only commercial development to the area, despite the current housing boom.

3) Political forces are opposed to "gentrification" of the area. Councilman Fullwood essentially killed a proposed rowhouse development in LaVilla because it was "too expensive" for the area. The proposed prices? $179,000!!

The bad thing is its already under gone "gentrification" in the worst type of way. The city basically leveled the whole neighborhood and its rich history along with it. At this point, there can't be anymore then 20 people living in what was once, one of the city's most populated and densest neighborhoods. To pour salt on its wounds that townhouse project was actually one of the best things to come online in years for LaVilla.

Archived