Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

There was actually an artile in yesterday's "developments" section on Jacksonville.com's website listing that work has begun on the lofts @ union street. I'm assuming they're referring to the Lofts @ East Union since that's the only project I'm aware of???

If anyone can pull up the article from yesterday's, it has it under the residentail construction heading portion... I'm not kidding... I didn't misread this

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a crazy idea. I'm glad no one is taking her serious. After all, this is coming from someone, who recently wanted to "GIVE" the building to Peterbrooke, instead of accepting an offer of $5 million for the site. Saving the Haydon Burns is more important to her, then what its going to cost the city to move its offices from City Hall Annex.

What personal ties does she have to this building? Is the architect her daddy? Did she or a family member help build it? She just can't let it go.

I would imagine nearly all the Peterbrooke supporters are in her district, since the company is based out of San Marco and that's probably where the owners live. But even then, Peterbrooke looks like it might back out too, so that can't possibly be the reason she won't let it go.

I think as much as people want to find a conspiracy theory here ... I think she just wants to preserve it, simple as that. And she's more than happy to stick to her guns because it's not a politically damaging issue. For all the mental energy people on this forum devote to the subject, most people don't really give a crap about which of the two won the RFP. Most of our leaders and citizens are quite ambivalent about it. So she's hardly burning any bridges by continuing to advocate preservation. It's doubtful she'll succeed, but she's probably making more friends than enemies in the process, so why stop talking about it?

Landing land a point of contention

Potential sale of the property raises red flag for some; buyer promises more successful future

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._20567982.shtml

107246_300.jpg

Developer Toney Sleiman shows plans in 2003 that he has to renovate and expand the usage of the exisiting Jacksonville Landing and the surrounding property.

Has anyone recently read the report regarding Kuhn's recent purchase of the Dyal building in downtown next to the Main Street Bridge?

If so, in the report, it mentions that Kuhn still has something bigger envisioned in downtown? Does this mean that he's got another tower planned which is larger than the proporsed River Watch @ City Centre Tower @ 33 floors? Thanks.

^Well, from what I've gathered, Kuhn has only purchased these properties:

Suntrust/Humana/RiverWatch/whatever you want to call that building.

Parking lot adjacent to RiverWatch (for 33 story tower)

Historic Barnett tower

Dyal-Upchurch

So far, his only NEW construction will be the 33 story tower. The rest is all renovations. I have a feeling he'll build another tower somewhere, but I'm not sure where or when. I heard that he was looking at 12 properties in the CBD, so there's no telling where the development might end!

Regarding the comment publicized by the guy who's proposing the "up to 70 floor" building near Alltel Stadium, he sees Jacskonville as the next frontier of the Southeast!

How many of you guys think this is true?

I personally believe Jacksonville is the sleeping giant of Florida that is now just being awakened amidst all of the other major cities in Florida: Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Tallahassee, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. Though, Miami is probably the only city in Florida that'll ever be top tier, I truly think that Jacksonville will in a few year's time become the 2nd tier city of Florida following Miami. I believe this is how it'll be in the near future: Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, then Orlando.

Assets to Jacksonville:

St. John's River

No height restriction in DT

Largest Urban Park system in the country

Final major city in Florida to experience the major construction boom that started in Miami...

Largest land area in continental US

Close proximity of PGA Tour courses, etc

Gator Bowl and other games being held at DT

What do you guys think?

Just thought I would ask you guys!

1) I have not been to DT area since New Year's Eve; Neither during the day or night

2) Right when the clock hit 12:00 AM into the New Years, the lights off of the bridges turned off

3) Are the bridge lighting finally off now since it is 2006?

4) I remember an article earlier in 2005 stating that the bridge lighting was only effective until the end of 2005 due to the Superbowl as the main reason for the lighting.

5) If anyone has been to DT recently at the start of the New Year during the evening hours, are the lights still on or are they actually turned off now as stated in the article?

6) Thanks.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board here so forgive me if I ask questions about anything you may have discussed to death already.

I was just curious if anyone actually lived downtown yet and what their personal impressions were of the area transforming itself into a pedestrian friendly place with after dark entertainment etc. Seems like there is a lot of talk going on but the action is slow. Lots of "proposals" but will they ever come to fruition?

Any insights/thoughts?

Thanks

Archived