Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I have no idea, but I'll definitely post any news I find. Let's hope it starts soon, and perhaps has better street interaction than its counterpart....

Here's an interesting story:

More parking coming

3a.png

Work is underway at the Central Business District parking garage. The 1,375-space garage will service the new County Courthouse and will be finished in April of next year. Metropolitan Parking Solutions is building the structure.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=44620

^Hey jaxtucker!

Welcome to the site! Glad to hear you've been enjoying the downtown nightlife! I'd love to check it out myself. I did get to try Burrito Gallery, and I enjoyed eating on the Adams Street patio of the restaurant, although the view was of the Hayden Burns library....lol

One thing that I liked about Mark's was that they had a dress code. I'm sure all the other clubs have a dress code too. It makes the whole experience more pleasant and deterrs riff-raff.

^Hey jaxtucker!

Welcome to the site! Glad to hear you've been enjoying the downtown nightlife! I'd love to check it out myself. I did get to try Burrito Gallery, and I enjoyed eating on the Adams Street patio of the restaurant, although the view was of the Hayden Burns library....lol

One thing that I liked about Mark's was that they had a dress code. I'm sure all the other clubs have a dress code too. It makes the whole experience more pleasant and deterrs riff-raff.

Thanks for the reply UL, you should try out the back patio at Burrito Gallery. The views of BofA, the Carling and 11E are great. Make sure to ask for Katie or Marco for your server...they always do a great job of taking care of us.

Asbestos sours library redevelopment deal

A chocolatier and JEDC end talks due to the high cost of environmental remediation.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._21315551.shtml

The city won't sell the building to the next-ranked bidder. Instead, for about a year, it will use the building for storage and employee office space, Mayor's Office spokeswoman Susie Wiles said. Then the city will likely try to sell the property again.

Main Branch project coordinator Jack Shad said that his group is still interested in negotiating for the property under its original proposal and that high cleanup costs would not kill the deal.

"We feel like we've earned the right that the other participants in the process had," he said. "Is storing things in the building the best use for it right now when there's an offer on the table?"

Shad said Main Branch would likely protest the city's decision not to negotiate.

While I'm glad we won't see a chocolate factory downtown, I'm not happy that this building will become storage. What a terrible misuse of a great piece of land. I hope it gets demolished forthwith, once the city is done with their storage....

I agree with Main Branch, and also, why not just tear that **** down? I mean, since the whole world is terrified of asbestos and almost rightfully so, why put up with it and deal with it. Main Branch had an alright proposal better than anything else to begin with, is still interested, will pay more than anyone else, and says that cleanup is not a problem. If the city does not want to deal with Main Branch, then it has a trick up its sleeve and probably had foreknowledge that the building would be used as storage space.

• 2 weeks later...

^Yes, this is exciting news! What was really interesting is that it would kinda put Jacksonville in the same league as Orlando, Miami, Vegas, and eventually Paris and London! It was cool to see Jax's name on that list!

I find it interesting that we would be getting a Club Paris in DT before Miami and some other high profile cities. How did this come about?

122605_400.jpg

How bout this!?! (Released by the TU)

Cameron Kuhn's official rendering of Riverwatch at City Center with 120 condos and 200 hotel rooms. The garage will be built first and will provide some parking for the Landing as well, and this should start in July. The actual building will be finished 12 months after the garage, which should take 18 months to build.

I definitely liked the original rendering better...But it's really not a very good angle...I hope they come out with another rendering with it placed in the skyline, for better perspective. But, again, I'm just happy that it will really add some more density to the CBD...Does anybody know if he is planning on connecting the garage to Jacksonville Center? It looks aweful close in the rendering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Though, we have a setback regarding San Marco Riverwalk, I just wanted to inquire on what is the status of Berkman Plaza Phase II?

I have not been to that side of DT in a long time, therefore, I have not seen it since.

I think construction is set to begin in July.

Archived