Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a pic of this building?  I can't picture what it looks like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

adams.jpg

This historic postcard of Adams Street, looking East near Hogan Street, is about all I could find. The 5 story building, on the right, is the old Furchgott's store, Hudson Books will be relocating too. Looking at the old layout of the first floor, some businesses that may have to relocate include The Real Ting, Redd Cafe and the International Cafe.

link to old Furchgott's floor layouts

Furchgott's interior pictures and floor layouts

I also ran a websearch on Hudson's and here's someone's opinion of the store.

Hudson Books, 4625 Lenox Avenue, Murray Hill, Jacksonville, 32205 (904) 384-3020 - They've got more books crammed into their store than you can ever imagine!  If you go, plan on being there a while because it's a lot of fun to explore.  Their prices are great and they have the best kids section around

http://www.geocities.com/topazcat11/pagan.html

JMOMA looking forward to library

3.png

by Carrie Resch

Staff Writer

For two years the Jacksonville Museum of Modern Art has enjoyed being the main attraction near Hemming Plaza,

but now the long-awaited new Main library will soon be moving in right next door.

The library is scheduled to open in September and

JMOMA president Jane Craven is looking forward to her new neighbor

As a whole, I think the entire area of cultural destinations is severly lacking. I think it is greate we have the JMOMA, but there is a huge but silent market out there for this. Per example, My Wife and I wen to see Pilobolous last week at the Times Union Center, and it was absolutly Packed. FCCJ has an amazing arts program out there through Dance and Modern Art. JU is just as strong. I know people done;t think there is a market for "art" here, but there is. We have the Florida Ballet, FCCJ Artist Series, Jacksonville Chamber countless art galeries, we jsut dont realy have cultural infrastructure to support it. When it is provided, the turn out is ussually very strong (ie the art walk). With the exception of the FCCJ Artist Series, it isnt arvertised much. I think I saw one advertisment for Art walk this month. Ther is a market for an expansion of the arts here in Jacksonville. There are a huge number of arts related programs/idviduals throught JAX, There is probably jsut as many that think going tot his is good for nothing more than Culture Value.

In My humble opinion, Hemming Plaza would be a great place to have a cultural district. You already have the JMOMA, the library soon to come, Hemming Plaze, and Sky Way access.

Sure we are a football town, but we are also very quietly a Cultural Town. (just look at the side if Burrito Gallary, very nice by the way)

Anyway, Just a thought.

Cheers

I'm loving all this hotel talk!  All these different sites are mentioned:

Adam's Mark

JTA Hub

JEA Site

Humana Parking Lot

Did I forget any?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

San Marco Riverwalk's 9 story hotel is supposed to break ground this summer. At the Southbank workshop, a couple of weeks ago, the developer stated that the project had been approved by two chains and that it was up to his group to pick one of the chains to operate the hotel, on the NE corner of Hendricks and Prudential Drive.

The original Shipyard's plan also was supposed to have a hotel. Maybe LandMar will plan for one as well.

What I'd really like to see is a hotel chain operate out of an older structure, like the Florida Life, Bisbee, Jones Brothers or Barnett Tower buildings. Not only would it pull more visitors into the core, it would add a unique type of accomodation that only exists in popular older cities like Savannah, Philly and New Orleans.

Too bad that the city gave away the incentives to Adams Mark to build that box on the river when they could have had a quality chain build a decently designed structure.  At least maybe a better hotel chain will spruce it up a bit.  I knew the Adams Mark was a bad idea at the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I'd really like to see is a hotel chain operate out of an older structure, like the Florida Life, Bisbee, Jones Brothers or Barnett Tower buildings. Not only would it pull more visitors into the core, it would add a unique type of accomodation that only exists in popular older cities like Savannah, Philly and New Orleans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with Lakelander. I hope the plan for a boutique hotel in the old Barnett building pans out.

From my experiences, most new hotels are very plain, nondescript and utilitarian in architecture. Charlotte and Indy both have several prime examples. The Omni in Jax is as well. The Radisson on the Southbank is downright ugly. At least it will be gone in a few years. I think the Adams Mark gets the brunt of this type of criticism because it's location is so promenient. It's no worse than the afore mentioned. Don't get me wrong though, I would have preferred a better design too, but it is typical of what I have seen elsewhere.

^The original plans for the Barnett included an 80 unit boutique hotel. However, I believe the plans have changed and the building will be converted into lofts.

I don't see why a hotel, in a historical building, off Adams Street, wouldn't work. The location would be in the heart of the business district and within walking distance of the Landing, city offices, the new courthouse site, the skyway, Hemming Plaza and several local mom and pop restaurants and shops. On top of that, it would instantly become one of the most unique hotels in town, by being housed in a restored historical building.

JEA to seek bids for Southbank land

Ann Luce

JEA's executive committee decided in its meeting Tuesday to put out requests for bids later this week or early next week for development of the Southside Generating Station, which was home to the NFL Experience during Super Bowl XXXIX.

The committee was given the go ahead by Mayor John Peyton to send out requests for bids after the city and JEA agreed to set aside 150 feet of riverfront for public space.

The 42-acre parcel is appraised at $27.5 million. JEA negotiated last year with The Haskell Co. and The St. Joe Co. to develop the land. The Haskell Co. offered $25 million in cash upfront or $40 million over six years. The St. Joe Co. offered to pay about $6 million and to give JEA half of an estimated $37.5 million in profits once the land is developed. JEA was not satisfied with the offers, so now neither company is in the running to develop the land.

JEA spokesman Ron Whittington said there is a list of about 30 parties interested in the land if it goes to a request for bid. The list consists of both local and out of state developers.

"Whether they bid or not, that's another story," Whittington said.

Archived