Charleston's New School of Thought

Charles Pearson

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

That is a lengthy read. Did you get all of that info from that site? In the future you might consider pulling important info out of the article yourself and then giving a link to the rest.

Sounds like an interesting school though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey Sparta, i will keep that in mind. the length of the article never dawned on me until i read your post TODAY...

UPDATE: The new planned school is now moving (temporally they say) to a warehouse on the old Navy Base in...that other city up I-26. So Charleston loses something else to that other city I simply cannot stand... I'd post the article or the link once I can remember my username and password... I hate having to remember such things...

hey Sparta, i will keep that in mind. the length of the article never dawned on me until i read your post TODAY...

UPDATE: The new planned school is now moving (temporally they say) to a warehouse on the old Navy Base in...that other city up I-26.  So Charleston loses something else to that other city I simply cannot stand... I'd post the article or the link once I can remember my username and password... I hate having to remember such things...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, I agree totally. Sometimes I think N. Charleston is trying to takeover its mother city and become the primary city in the region. They took the Hunley, which is preposterous, and now they're getting the school. I also cannot stand that city's existence. I have said this throughout many earlier posts: N. Charleston should merge into Charleston to have one unified city that could efficiently serve the whole area. I have never considered the North area a separate city from Charleston. I will always think of it as a part of the 300-year-old city.

As far as the school goes, it will be temporary, according to people I've talked with back home. The building will be renovated and used on the Navy base, but not for a permanent tenant until after the school leaves. The school really wants the McLeod location because of its historical significance.

Dude, I agree totally. Sometimes I think N. Charleston is trying to takeover its mother city and become the primary city in the region. They took the Hunley, which is preposterous, and now they're getting the school. I also cannot stand that city's existence. I have said this throughout many earlier posts: N. Charleston should merge into Charleston to have one unified city that could efficiently serve the whole area. I have never considered the North area a separate city from Charleston. I will always think of it as a part of the 300-year-old city.

As far as the school goes, it will be temporary, according to people I've talked with back home. The building will be renovated and used on the Navy base, but not for a permanent tenant until after the school leaves. The school really wants the McLeod location because of its historical significance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the first time I have ever heard people considering N. Charleston and Charleston two separate cities. Are you really serious? How can these be two separate cities?

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I will never consider N. Charleston and Charleston two separate entities. N. Charleston is just what it is and that's the Northern section of Charleston.

Ummm, Charleston and North Charleston are two distinct, separate municipalities. That is fact. We don't have to like it--in fact, I detest it--but that's the way it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. What do you think the possibility of this eventually happening is?

I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be nice to have the North Area incorporated into Charleston. It never made sense to me in the first place. I know of no Charlestonians that ever look at North Charleston as a separate city. Our city is way too small to be chopped up into so many different municipalities. It would also probably improve North Charleston because the city would be divided and mapped out differently. Downtown has been out of development space forever, (even though that will soon change with the 10 extra blocks of space the Old Bridge removal will provide), I never saw the sense in the separation.

Dude, I agree totally. Sometimes I think N. Charleston is trying to takeover its mother city and become the primary city in the region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would probably have more respect for that other town if it changed its name to City of Noisette or New Albemarle Sound to have its own identity.

I mean, it's great that NC got a convention center/coloseum for the region but what I can't understand why the current generation of Charleston leaders are so slow-witted compared to the city's ancestors who always made sure Charleston had the best of everything? (or so during the golden period of 1700 - 1860)...

Hammett, Zahc, Krazeeboi, and L-Beware, I echo your sentiments exactly. Yes, unfortunately in 1972, an area near the Naval Base that extended to the municipal airport incorporated into a separate city called N. Charleston which was also the original name of the PSD that gave services to the area. One of the main reasons for this area to do that was because of the idiocy of Charleston city leaders that were part of the council. A proposition was put on the table before the incorporation seeing if Charleston could start annexing parts of the North area, but most of the council voted no. (Stupid, unbelievably idiotic, dimwitted lack of forsight!!!! :ph34r: ) One councilman was actually quoted as saying that he didn't want to have anything to do with "up there". "They don't even know me up there." Can you believe it?!?!?!

Since that time, the North city has grown into a suburban monster, taking more land and more power away from its mother city to the south. I also agree with your perceptions Hammett. Growing up, I never considered N. Charleston as a separate municipality from Charleston. It is a modern, suburban extension of DT with industrial corridors and military installations. I will also never consider it a separate city, and I hope to maybe one day help start an effort to promote a future merger of the 2 cities into one unified city of Charleston. It may not happen right now, but as more people move there, people are realizing that it does not make sense to have 2 geographically tied cities as separate entities

• 4 weeks later...

Archived