Philadelphia gets 975 ft. Comcast Tower!

PghUSA

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Base design is ok, hope they do some detail work on it. The windfall with which they are financing this with came about with the buyout of AT&T cable, in the article it covers the drama on how Ma Bell wanted Comcast to move HQ to NYC as part of the deal, Comcast stuck to its guns and insisted on staying put in Philly, so this tower almost went up in Manhattan!

Most of the cable out in the 'burgh is Comcast, I have major ethical dilemmas of funding a company from Philadelphia (uck) to see my Steelers ;)

Philadelphia would be one step closer to having its own Manhattan by building that 290m tower.  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey now! :lol:

I never like defending the spoiled city on the east side of Philaslyvania, I must point out that though SF has the critical mass for it, community groups have kept your towers shorter then Pittsburgh's (leaseable space) and Philadelphia's. Then again height isn't everything :thumbsup:

Well PghUSA, SF could have had a taller Transamerica Pyramid (330m) than the built 240m one all because of the Nob Hill residents complaining of their views of the Bay Bridge being blocked. Plus in the adjacent area, Chinatown, ppl wanted highrises, but that dream was killed when a it was said that no structure in Chinatown must be destroyed (kind of like the 'make historical' in SC3KU). Yeah, you're right, height is not everything. Look at the lowrise area under my response, that's Chinatown and it's denser than the highrise Financial District.

^^ always wondered what the details were on that, being the hub of the area and with silicon valley to the south and the rich Pacific shipping industry that breeds success in finance, insurance, retail etc. SF has that critical mass. Always heard that it was NIMBYs and community groups as well as the more populist city politicans (not as geered towards corporate America as might Chicago or NYC politicos would be) that set limits on height. I would imagine that there were some big battles between community groups and corporate interests. The result though is still beautiful.

^^ :rofl::rofl: wow how fast a huge tower becomes a vs. contest.

My two thoughts on all this is:

A) Good for Philly they do deserve and Comcast is a great hometown success story, Heckles is right if you like bigger badder bolder Philly is the place in the state to get it, not my thing, but I do appreciate Philly for Penn and the cultural and historical things you can't find anywhere else--as far as agreeing hey Pittsburgh is always better in my book but each to their own ;)

B ) Sweet I like your pathos on this, we need more people like you in the state to wake 'em up and get 'em moving! Sweet I think you'd like the part of the article above where Comcast refused to move to NYC even though AT&T threated to walk from the biggest deal ever in Comcast history. So NYC didn't get it this time . . . but just so we know the score, NYC does tend to take a little luster from Philly, but it gives back some too, Philly though ends up looking west (Citizens Financial HQ--which were in Pgh, Southwests entry to the NE--when they made some promises to Pgh, etc. etc.) when it needs to raid. So hands off sweet let us 'burghers have our stuff ;)

Seriously though Sweet, I like your style, you must really love your hometown as much as I love mine.

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE:

Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts said AT&T had asked the company to move to New York City as a condition of the sale. "My father [Comcast founder Ralph Roberts] and I both adamantly said that's a nonstarter, and it almost cost us the deal," Roberts told a news conference yesterday.

http://www.pittsburghfirst.com/pg/05004/436569.stm

Sweet, Philly can win one too. :thumbsup:

Archived