Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

Madison Lenox Back on Chopping Block

Ilitch Holdings, owners of the former Madison-Lennox Hotel, have submitted a request to the Detroit Historic District Commission to demolish the building, in spite of the fact that they have received several offers to purchase it.

The Commission will consider their request this Wednesday, January 12 at 5:30 p.m. in the Committee of the Whole Room, 13th Floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. You can view the Commission's agenda at:

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/historic/agendas/jan05ag.pdf

The Madison-Lennox was named one of the 11 Most Endangered Sites in America by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. More details about the hotel are available at:

http://www.nationaltrust.org/11Most/2004/madison_lenox.html

I'm getting sick of this back and forth foolishness. Why wont they just sell the damn buildings to the people who obviously have interest in developing them. They can't really be that hyped about making another giant hole in Downtown. Would demolishing the buildings and turning it into a parking lot really make them more money than selling the buildings themselves?

Apparently the Ilitches were offered $3 Million for the building. They couldn't make that if it was a parking lot. Why are they so relucant to sell?

I can understand why the would not want to sell the property behind the Fox, since Ilitch has wanted to build his Foxtown plan for like 10 years. Ilitch refuses to give up on the plan, even though Detroit has rejected it time and time again.

I know the Illitches hate competition it's not a coincidence that they own the UA and Adams. The agenda against this building really puzzles me though, what possible threat is it to any Illitch business?

I really wish that the city would grow a pair of balls and take this building from him. It's obvious he's not willing to make an honest attempt to save it.

I don't know if the city owning it would be that much of a wonder. Someone really needs to reason with the Ilitch's and put some sense into their heads. I mean, what the hell are they thinking. You can't keep getting rid of these historic buildings. Now it is true that Ilitch has been a hero in the past..... So why doesn't he want to be one again. There is enough parking in the city, especially with noone coming. If he developed these buildings into something useful, people would come back into the city. That's when he can build his precious parking lots. Not surface parking lots though. No. Just make some from scratch.

Why is Ilitch so hell bent on destroying this building? Was he beaten there, as a kid? This whole thing looks like he's out to make some kind of point. However, I have no idea of what that point may be.

Why is Ilitch so hell bent on destroying this building?  Was he beaten there, as a kid?  This whole thing looks like he's out to make some kind of point.  However, I have no idea of what that point may be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More than anything, I think its their big ego. This is one property they need to just sell. In a redevelopment situation, they would probably build a parking garage on the surface lot next to the building. Some of these spaces could be reserved for residents, while the rest can be for general use. The proposed lot would have 88 spaces. They could get a whole lot more than that out of a garage!

More than anything, I think its their big ego.  This is one property they need to just sell.  In a redevelopment situation, they would probably build a parking garage on the surface lot next to the building.  Some of these spaces could be reserved for residents, while the rest can be for general use.  The proposed lot would have 88 spaces.  They could get a whole lot more than that out of a garage!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But no Allan, Illitch doesn't want to waste a little bit of his millions to build the garage, he sees the cheaper way out even though he's got millions.

But no Allan, Illitch doesn't want to waste a little bit of his millions to build the garage, he sees the cheaper way out even though he's got millions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They could make more selling the building to a developer than renting out parking spaces for Tiger's games! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. They are just feeding their egos by holding on to all the downtown properties that they won't do anything with (other than make parking lots out of them).

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Detroit panel delays hotel demolition

By R.J. King / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The Detroit Historic District Commission on Wednesday delayed ruling until February on a request for a demolition permit for the vacant Madison-Lenox Hotel in Detroit's Harmonie Park district.

A city staff report requested the delay along with the owner of the property, Ilitch Holdings Inc. The company had requested a demolition permit a year ago, but the commission denied the application due to incomplete information. The building is a historic landmark and the commission must approve any demolition request.

Built from 1903 to 1913, the Madison-Lenox Hotel closed 30 years ago due to declining use and rising crime. Located at Madison and Randolph, the complex is near the Detroit Athletic Club, Music Hall and Detroit Opera House.

Last year, the National Trust for Historic Preservation selected the twin mid-rise structure as one of America's most endangered historic places. Local preservation groups have supported efforts to convert the buildings into a European-style hotel or loft apartments.