Photo essay: Publix on the Bay - Miami Beach, FL

Aessotariq

And now for something completely different!

Tucked away on a quiet block in Miami Beach is one of the most intriguing and unique buildings in the area, from an architectural and engineering perspective.

Faced with the challenge of building a facility to service an urban area with limited land, Lakeland, Florida-based Publix Super Markets, Inc. used a little South Beach flair and found an urban solution. For our non-Florida and non-Southeastern forumers, Publix is the largest grocery store chain in Florida and is known for its excellent service and quality products. It has a very upscale feel to it, and they tend to carry products that other stores would typically not carry.

You are about to see Publix on the Bay, perhaps the most expensive supermarket that Publix has built to date ($11 million dollars worth if I recall correctly), but prices are consistent with other stores in South Florida. The building is rectangular in shape, and three stories high. Two levels of parking sit atop the grocery store on ground level. To keep it from looking like an ordinary big-box retail store, the front fa

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've been busy lately.

I like the tour.

Publix is definitely embracing the urban market.

Great thread.  I was amazed by how many urban Publix markets, I saw down there last week.  Hopefully, Publix will continue to expand their urban formats throughout the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks... This one is, by far, the coolest urban market, in my humble opinion. East of I-95 the Brickell area will be served by 3 Publix stores all within a 5 mile radius of each other when Mary Brickell Village is complete. Since I've piqued some interest, I'll revive this topic when I get some more pictures. :)

It seems like you enjoyed your stay down here, Lakelander... Next time you'll need to stay a bit longer. :)

Publix is definitely embracing Florida's urban market. Approved today, Orlando city leaders gave a condo/retail/restaurant tower 3.2 million in incentives to build on Central in Thornton Park. Heres the rendering, the Publix will be on the ground floor and parking will be belowgrade:

Centralelevation.gif

btw, thats the most awesome supermarket i've ever seen. I may actually like grocery shopping if I had a place like that to go to. I hope the one in Orlando is even half as cool.

whoa...I never knew about that Publix...where exactly is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's northwest of the Lincoln Road mall...

The address is 1920 West Ave, which places it between 20th and 18th Streets (north of Lincoln Road), west of Alton Rd, north of Dade Blvd (the Venetian Causeway).

• 1 month later...

^^ Thanks, guys. The ingenuity behind the people mover is astounding, and it's the "funnest" part of the entire experience, especially letting the carts loose. It's a tourist trap in and of itself. :)

I've been compiling a photo thread on big-box urban design in South Florida, which should include supermarkets among other places when completed, so please stay tuned!

really really cool

I heard Home Depot was looking to locate somewhere in the CBD.  I know they can pull off an urban design because they have one in NYC that is just amazing.  Curious what the Miami design is like

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't heard about one being located in the CBD, but they did express interest in building on the site of a recently-closed Kmart in Coconut Grove. It's a suburban style shopping plaza and there has been serious opposition by locals to that particular store being built as proposed, given the various impacts and Home Depot's plans to take over the entire strip.

Fort Lauderdale has a Home Depot store built on limited space, on Sunrise Blvd between I-95 and Federal Highway. It looks like a regular store with a two-level parking garage in front.

• 3 weeks later...

Published on February 24, 2002, Page 2MB, The Miami Herald

DESIGN CHANGES MOVE PUBLIX IN NEW DIRECTION

Source: CHRIS NEGELEIN, Herald Writer

Surfside residents will shop in style when the new Publix opens next year. The grocery store will stock and deliver gourmet groceries in a two-story structure where customers can park under the building and arrive upstairs by moving, elevated sidewalks.The building, on the site of an old supermarket at 9400 Harding Ave., which will hide the ground-level parking from Harding Avenue behind a facade and a pedestrian entrance, presents a new concept for Publix, said Mark Robbins ...

---------------

They've been moving in this direction for a while.

• 9 months later...

Here in Tampa, we have a Urban retail Mall called Walter's Crossing with Target, DSW, Wild Oats Natural Grocery, Linens N' Things, and Petsmart. But so far this Publix is one of the best that i've seen next to this mall in Tampa. Hopefully a urban Publix, will follow suit in Tampa since we're not that far from Lakeland, and we're a pretty urbanized city.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived