COMPLETE: Charles Street Walmart

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't EVEN get me stahted.

You're kidding me... there's no ordinance for a % of canopy?

Is that too much to ask developers? I can understand maintenance costs, clean up, etc. But there are plenty of well-behaved, urban-tested trees to choose from. Not to mention the relief from 90 degree blazing sun that a few shade trees can provide shoppers.

Ordinance or no ordinance, there's absolutely no excuse for a space of this size to be devoid of trees.

You're kidding me... there's no ordinance for a % of canopy?

Is that too much to ask developers? I can understand maintenance costs, clean up, etc. But there are plenty of well-behaved, urban-tested trees to choose from. Not to mention the relief from 90 degree blazing sun that a few shade trees can provide shoppers.

Ordinance or no ordinance, there's absolutely no excuse for a space of this size to be devoid of trees.

there is. And they "meet" it by ringing the property with trees. They refused to comply with the spirit of the law, merely the letter of the law which is the canopy cover requirement. I had even traveled around RI and MA and took pictures of other walmarts (and almost got myself arrested) to make a little booklet to show that trees, and parking lots can and do co-exist.

the rest of the commission didn't back me up and so there are no trees in the parking lot. unless something has changed--we haven't seen this project in quite some time so it is possible that there were some changes. But i would hold my breath on that.

• 2 months later...

What is wrong with allowing a business to say whatever they want? If a business feels that "merry Christmas" excludes non-Christians, it is their right to say something else. Frankly, the hypersensitive right gets much more agitated by "happy holidays" than anyone does by "Merry Christmas."

What is wrong with allowing a business to say whatever they want? If a business feels that "merry Christmas" excludes non-Christians, it is their right to say something else. Frankly, the hypersensitive right gets much more agitated by "happy holidays" than anyone does by "Merry Christmas."

i read somewhere that while those who celebrate judiasm take up approximately 2% of the US population, they make up a lot more of the 300+ *billion dollar holiday spending season because that 2% is often in the highest percentile of income. But i have been unable to actually find a good number that represents hanukkah spending.

*just found a better number: 457 billion for the season from Halloween to Christmas.

There was a story in today's Globe that said the regions Jewish population is rising, fueled by a higher than expected incidence of children in inter-faith couples being raised Jewish.

Jewish population in region rises [The Boston Globe]

As for the PC-ness of what to speak. I think it is wrong that a company should have a policy on this. Allow employees to say whatever they want, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Have a Nice Day. Why should there be a policy on these things. And it's not PC to respect people of other faiths, it's polite.

you know why they're opening after christmas? Because i told the developers' lawyers that i would sit in the parking lot on the last saturday before christmas and count how many empty parking spaces there were in the sea of parking, and for every empty space i wanted at least two trees.

They declined my offer but i was going to do it anyway, dammit, and clearly they were afraid or my arbor-wrath.

you know why they're opening after christmas? Because i told the developers' lawyers that i would sit in the parking lot on the last saturday before christmas and count how many empty parking spaces there were in the sea of parking, and for every empty space i wanted at least two trees.

They declined my offer but i was going to do it anyway, dammit, and clearly they were afraid or my arbor-wrath.

Archived