COMPLETE: Charles Street Walmart

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Superjesuswalmart at Centre of New England yesterday, more for craps and giggles than anything else. That place is freakin HUGE, it really is mindboggling. What pissed me off the most is that groceries there really are ridiculously cheap. 3 lb tubs of country crock margarine for 2 dollars, cereal boxes for 3 dollars instead of 4-5 at other supermarkets, etc. etc. It's gonna be real hard to convince the general public to shop anywhere else.

i know walgreen's mentality when it come to things like that (incredibly cheap prices) and prescriptions is that for most of its markets... each store is only 5 miles apart in some cases, as compared to walmarts which maybe be 20 minutes or more apart.

gas prices, old people who hate to drive, and lazy people will be affected by that im sure.

There was a story in today's Globe that said the regions Jewish population is rising, fueled by a higher than expected incidence of children in inter-faith couples being raised Jewish.

Jewish population in region rises [The Boston Globe]

As for the PC-ness of what to speak. I think it is wrong that a company should have a policy on this. Allow employees to say whatever they want, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Have a Nice Day. Why should there be a policy on these things. And it's not PC to respect people of other faiths, it's polite.

Actually people that say "Happy Holidays" to someone while wearing red/green or wearing a santa hat is probably more insulting. Now if they were wearing a christmas tree sweater and a yarmulke, that would be more inclusionary. :D

I have gotten foolishly excited in the past when I see aisles labeled "seasonal" or "holiday" thinking that they would have stuff for both Chanukah and Christmas. Its irritating to find 26 aisles of christmas and one endcap of driedels and gelt. Call it what it is. Its the christmas aisle. If I need jewish holiday stuff, I go to a judaica shop.

I'll have to check that out, but not until it's actually Christmas time. :lol: Actually the last time I shopped in the Chanukah end-cap was at a Target in Queens (and in Queens it was slightly more than an end-cap, an actual half aisle :shok: ). Since I've been in Providence I've been very last minute trying to make the best of the offerings at the CVS in Kennedy Plaza. I think this year I'll step up on the wrapping again, especially since what's within the wrapping is likely to be a bit paltry this year.

Funny you should mention Scottsdale. I am there right now, and at lunch today I was surrounded by conversations that were jewish in nature. I was dining with non-jews and I doubt they noticed, but I was thinking I must be in Crown Heights or something. But nope, I was in Scottsdale AZ. Very weird for me.

• 3 weeks later...
the so-called "deals" aren't really much better than target. i suggest you go around to major stores all over that sell the things you buy and price them out. i'd be willing to bet that you'll only save maybe a dollar or 2 at walmart.

Archived