COMPLETE: Charles Street Walmart

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i remember from college correctly, their mission statement contains language that holds them to finding the lowing costs on everything including things like executive travel, the top exec's are suppose to stay in discount-priced hotels and fly in bus. class or coach

http://www.walmartfacts.com/

http://investor.walmartstores.com/phoenix....=irol-innovinit

the ground water thing seems like it could happen at every site for any bldg if it was built into the designs... i remember that from a trip to bermuda all the houses have roofs that help collect rainwater for other uses...

• 2 weeks later...
Good for them! I wish Provi had done the same... I've been reading about a couple successful stories where towns in Mass have stopped SprawlMart from building a store.

Scary story: "60 Minutes" did a focus on the 10 year impact a Walmart had on a town called Donaldsonville, Louisiana. Before Walmart opened, the town had an average of four failed businesses a year. 18 Businesses failed the first year and in the following three years, another 50 closed. Middle class owners of these stores closed and left town. As soon as the middle-class left and there were no more businesses competing with Walmart, the prices went up 33%.

I see Wal-Mart as a great place to buy paper goods, toiletries, cleaning supplies, t-shirts and socks. Much cheaper than anywhere else. Some canned goods too. I love canned corned beef hash for example. Well its about $3.00 in most stores, a $1.86 at Wal-Mart. Cant beat that.

Usually I go to Target for these things though. The same stuff is a little more expensive, but the stores are cleaner, more aesthetically pleasing, and the lines are never as long.

You can goto BJ's and get better prices on the same stuff, all the while supporting a New England based corporation that managed to (so far) sneak out from Walmarts grasp. BJ's was initially the "Sam's Club" equivilent to Zayre.

And I never realized that Zayres was founded in Hyannis. I practically grew up in the layaway line at the Hyannis store. :silly:

I wonder if we'll ever see a resurgence of the local off-price retail store structure. Or if WalMart and Target have forver crushed the likes of Zayres and Bradlees.

Archived