COMPLETE: Charles Street Walmart

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ugh. Talk about supporting crappy sprawl. At least the Lincoln one reused the defunct Lincoln Mall space.

I hate that stupid development in Smithfield almost as much as I hate fidelity building their campus there. why the town of Smithfield wants to be a carbon copy of a town like Elizabeth NJ is well beyond me, but big corporate campuses and huge strip malls seem to be their goal.

until there's a target in providence, i have no choice but to support sprawl. i've never been to the lincoln mall, but is that target new? last i checked, the only ones in the area were smithfield, seekonk, warwick, and i think north attleboro.

i don't know if i've been to that one... i don't ever go to warwick for anything ever, period. i wouldn't care if rt 2 exploded.

i guess i'll have to try the lincoln target. is it bigger than smithfield?

The Target on Route 6 in Dartmouth is the probly the best sprawl-hell Target around. It's set way back behind a sea of parking, but it has sidewalks and crosswalks leading to its front doors from both a side street and Route 6, a ramp from Route 6 to these sidewalks, a taxi stand and bus turnout. The sidewalks are even made of concrete, and are designed so pedestrians don't ever have to be in a travel lane in the parking lot. The North Dartmouth Mall has similar good pedestrian connections.

Nonetheless, Route 6 in Dartmouth is certainly nothing to brag about, its like Route 2 in Warwick smashed down into one cluttered sprawly mile.

I suppose, but it seems awfully redundant with the Lincoln site (where the mall was) that is 4 miles away, and with North Attleboro which is another, what, 5 miles from that?

We have basically the same suburbran strip services in Warwick, Smithfield, Seekonk, and Attleboro. Yeah there are little different pieces here or there but it is basically the same crap. And for other Northwestern RIer's it is 15 minute drive to the Millbury suck-fest off of Rt. 146.

Having things within walking distance is great density wise. Turning someone's drive from 15 minutes to 5 minutes is just sucky.

The best chance we have of getting a Target is the Loco-motion project. Sadly, I think the rents will drive away any business that caters to the demographics. Also, your justification of that awful ugly Smithfield mess to make it easier for the 10K people that live in Foster/Glocester is absurd. What about the fact that 175K people live in Pvd. and have to drive 10-15 minutes to go to a discount store like Target or Kohl's or wherever.

Word from my neighbor who owns a business around the corner from Walmart is that it is supposed to open on January 22nd. He also said there has been major graffiti done to the back of the building already. Of course I also realize some of you would consider that an upgrade to the big box :sick:

In other craptacular news... I bought a new cheese grater at Wal-Mart and the POS collapsed on the first attempted shred. I already tossed the old one and I was super-pissed!

I've been thinking though - I tend to shop at Job Lot and Family Dollar for paper goods and H/BA-type stuff and I really don't use Wally World too much anymore. Driving out to the box is a real beotch and for the most part their home goods and gadgets are cheap crap. And I mentioned somewhere else that the grocery prices at the SuperCenter are higher than PriceRite.

So I expect my $2.94 refund with interest and a handwritten apology from the Walton family. Otherwise I'm joining up with eltron. :shades:

In other craptacular news... I bought a new cheese grater at Wal-Mart and the POS collapsed on the first attempted shred. I already tossed the old one and I was super-pissed!

I've been thinking though - I tend to shop at Job Lot and Family Dollar for paper goods and H/BA-type stuff and I really don't use Wally World too much anymore. Driving out to the box is a real beotch and for the most part their home goods and gadgets are cheap crap. And I mentioned somewhere else that the grocery prices at the SuperCenter are higher than PriceRite.

So I expect my $2.94 refund with interest and a handwritten apology from the Walton family. Otherwise I'm joining up with eltron. :shades:

i continue to be surprised that ANY forward-thinking (even vaguely) person shops at Walmart. Urban Planeteers are the last people i would expect to support this awful organization. At least until they put one on Dorrance Street with some cool signage.

Archived