COMPLETE: Charles Street Walmart

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know, completely aside from walmarts employment, child labor law and other various and sundry issues, NONE of you should be shopping there for the reason that they refused to plant trees in their parking lot. It is one thing to shop there because you live out in the middle of nowhere and all the other stores closed (gee, wonder why) and there's no Target or Fred Meyer near you (like where mr coleslaw's parents live in NC) but when you have choices like THE GROCERY STORE and any number of local hardware stores, and plenty of CVSs and Brookss and Targets and Ocean State Job Lots why would any person go to Walmart knowing that there are NO TREES IN THAT LOT and that it is contributing to providence's heat island effect as well poor ozone days....

you know, completely aside from walmarts employment, child labor law and other various and sundry issues, NONE of you should be shopping there for the reason that they refused to plant trees in their parking lot. It is one thing to shop there because you live out in the middle of nowhere and all the other stores closed (gee, wonder why) and there's no Target or Fred Meyer near you (like where mr coleslaw's parents live in NC) but when you have choices like THE GROCERY STORE and any number of local hardware stores, and plenty of CVSs and Brookss and Targets and Ocean State Job Lots why would any person go to Walmart knowing that there are NO TREES IN THAT LOT and that it is contributing to providence's heat island effect as well poor ozone days....

I don't see any trees in CVS, Brooks, or Target parking lots either. Unless there is adequate alternative forms of transportation, Wal-Mart or any other big box corporation is going to need parking to sustain itself. I agree with you that we need to create more greenspace. However,if your biggest concern is them not putting a tree in the lot, don't you think it would be more effective to somehow overturn the parking ban so that residents can reclaim the yards that they paved over many times before? Instead of these premature trees lining Smith St. and other avenues that are exposed to road salt, dog piss, and vandalism and die within a few months, reclaiming backyards would add much needed green space to the community 100x more effectively.

I'm always so amused with the misdirected liberal sentiments against Wal-Mart. Just because they are the largest retailer in the world with a global name for itself doesn't mean they don't operate a business like anyone else. Simple economics, Jen, state that all business and industry is run by supply and demand. Where is your anger for the hundreds of Guatemalan immigrants that work @ Confreda Farms in Cranston or all the illegal immigrants that work in your favorite restaurants? Do you think that any of those employers pay them top wages? They don't. I'm sure that the majority of the teenagers and seniors that will be working there are happy to have found employment. Couple that with the many residents that live in the area that are happy to have a place to shop in a formerly abandoned treeless plaza. If you don't like Wal-Mart, then don't go there. I've told my mother this 1000x before. A crusade against Wal-Mart is a waste of time and energy. As long as there are people to fill positions and shoppers to attract, Wal-Mart will meet the demand. They are a for-profit corporation...and a successful one at that...whether you like it or not. Who can blame them for wanting to invest in a city that is completely underserved by neighborhood services? Re-direct your activism passion to something that will make a difference.

i think jerry's missing a little something called corporate ethics. walmart has absolutely none of that. it's not just some liberal campaign against walmart, it's their ethics. if walmart had practices like those of target, i don't think there'd be such a backlash against them. but walmart will not be satisfied until every town in america has at least 1 walmart. in most cases, the people that shop there do so because there's nothing else to choose from. in the small town i grew up in, there was a choice, until walmart purposely undercut their prices (to the degree of selling things at little to no profit) just to put them out of business. their portrayal of the employees in their commercials is hardly an example of the average employee. the average walmart employee does not get paid nearly enough, considering that walmart is the most profitable corporation in the world. their health care plan that employees can opt into is laughable and only there to make an attempt at appeasing some of the critics. i suggest you read up on some of the facts about walmart before you make them out to be some nice happy retailer that's just trying to make a buck. they're making a buck at the expense of their customers and employees and they really don't give a crap.

and i won't even touch the argument that a big box should be excused when they build in a city to have a huge sprawling parking lot (with many more spaces than will ever be filled, no less) and not put any trees in the medians.

for an example here... walgreens on admiral st. it's not a huge parking lot, but notice how it's completely surrounded by trees and shrubs and whoever takes care of them actually cares about what they're doing.

206763070_b0b359e7b8.jpg

I dont shop at this one, I shop at the one in Seekonk. Usually I go to the Target in Seekonk, but sometimes I pop my head in the Wal-Mart. They have trees in their lot.

And the reason I shop at Wal-mart or Target is that I dont have time to run around to a variety of stores to fulfill my needs. At Target or Wal-Mart everything is there that I need at the prices I like. It does not make financial sense for me to do it any other way.

The grocery store is not an option. The stuff I get at a Wal-Mart or a Target is more expensive in the grocery store or a CVS or a Brooks.

I am not the only one that feels this way, the success of these stores obviously shows that. People in suburbia have CVS's and Hardware stores and the like too.

Shopping there also does not make me a criminal. I care a lot about trees, a hell of a lot.

There are 6 RIPTA bus routes that pass directly by the Charles Street WalMart. RIPTA has even created a special combined schedule as a service to the riders trying to get there.

I don't understand this need people have to shop at places like WalMart or Taget. I have never made a purchase at a WalMart and have only shopped at Target 9 times since 1999 (I looked it up as a payee in my account records). What are people buying at these places? What is this need to go there? I feel like I'm missing out on some big part of the American Dream.

Isn't it obvious? Wal-Mart caters to the low income family. A big reason why so many smaller businesses close when Wal-Mart opens is that they can't compete with Wal-Mart's low prices. When every dollar of your income counts, paying more somewhere else just so you can feel like you're making a statement to 'corporate America' is low on the list of priorities. A working parent can't afford to drive all over the metro getting little things here and there when they can get it all at Wal-Mart, and often for much less cost. Wal-Mart fills a need that clearly isn't being met elsewhere or they wouldn't be the gigantic company they are today.

I'm not going to get into some big argument with a bunch of hypocritical liberal posters from Pvd. No offense to anyone personally, but let's get real. I'm sure that the majority of you are great people, but your ignorance and hatred for one of the most profitable companies in America is misguided and misdirected. Whether you love them or hate them, Wal-Mart has invaded a multitude of urban centers across the US. Before Wal-Mart, no large scale retailers were even remotely interested in investing in the capital city. And the whole Target above the clouds saga is pretty ridiculous...Target is a big box retailer with acres of parking and out to make the same buck as Wal-Mart...just because their aisles are 3' wider doesn't make them scandal-free....let's get real...Jim, the landscaped shrubs @ Walgreens were an ill-fated attempt to make it seem like it is an urban jungle when in reality the grounds @ Wal-Mart on Charles are landscaped as well...radical liberals like Jen, David Segal, and my mother would like to see a re-enactment of the Amazon Rain Forest on the parking lot grounds so they can justify their love of mankind...seemingly unconcerned @ business viability whether it be Wal-Mart or anyone else. And Jim...please don't mention corporate ethics when the majority of our employers( in this state tourism and food service) employ illegal immigrants at less than minimum wage!! Hypocrisy!

I'm not going to get into some big argument with a bunch of hypocritical liberal posters from Pvd. No offense to anyone personally, but let's get real. I'm sure that the majority of you are great people, but your ignorance and hatred for one of the most profitable companies in America is misguided and misdirected. Whether you love them or hate them, Wal-Mart has invaded a multitude of urban centers across the US. Before Wal-Mart, no large scale retailers were even remotely interested in investing in the capital city. And the whole Target above the clouds saga is pretty ridiculous...Target is a big box retailer with acres of parking and out to make the same buck as Wal-Mart...just because their aisles are 3' wider doesn't make them scandal-free....let's get real...Jim, the landscaped shrubs @ Walgreens were an ill-fated attempt to make it seem like it is an urban jungle when in reality the grounds @ Wal-Mart on Charles are landscaped as well...radical liberals like Jen, David Segal, and my mother would like to see a re-enactment of the Amazon Rain Forest on the parking lot grounds so they can justify their love of mankind...seemingly unconcerned @ business viability whether it be Wal-Mart or anyone else. And Jim...please don't mention corporate ethics when the majority of our employers( in this state tourism and food service) employ illegal immigrants at less than minimum wage!! Hypocrisy!

Yes Walmart will enable lower income people in Providence to buy goods at lower prices. BUT, this will mean they will stop going to the locally started and owned businesses on streets like Broad Street. Why buy grocery items at the mercado on the corner when you can go to Walmart and get them cheaper. Then the owners of these businesses, who live in the "poorer" areas of the city, will suffer and reinforce the poverty in them. Is this good for poor of the city? Nope!

I remember an article in ProJo a few years back about all the locally owned businesses started by Hispanic immigrants along Broad Street, and how successful they were and how well the owners were doing. How successful will they now be that residents have access to a Walmart?

Seriously, I no longer know what to do. Everytime you post I need to remind you not to insult people. Quit making everyone else out to be an @sshole and a hypocrit. If there's one thing in this life that I am certain of, it is that you sir are not perfect.

I've come to realize that anything that goes against the grain on this forum is immediately flagged down just because it doesn't meet your code of beliefs. I guess I'm sorry i wasted the 2 minutes of my life posting it. I respect everyone's opinion and certainly don't force mine on anyone else.

Archived