25 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best processor?

• Intel
    • AMD
    • PowerPC

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my p4, but its not the best. The probelm is that processors are only as good as its support. Celerons are horrible, but pentiums are better. AMD has that new 64-bit processor, which is awsome. I tend to think that while Intel is a more common name (and has a better logo sound) that AMD is better. They are a better value and are an equally good processor (at least in my experience) I have never heard of the other one, so I have no opinion there :)

PPC all the way! B)

Virginia Tech's System X uses 1100 dual 2.3 Ghz G5 Xserves. They were ranked number 7 in the most recent top 500 super computing list. If you were to compare the costs and / or the number of processors used in the clusters of the other systems in the top 10, you will definitely see how rockin' IBM's processors are. (Not to mention the new number one system that finally dethroned NEC's Earth Simulator is an IBM PowerPC system) :thumbsup:

Out of all three I choose the PPC. For PCs its AMD. Intel sucks. I have a p4 2.4g 533 fsb and by dads Athlon 1700xp(my old computer) seems faster than mine. If I by another pc it will NOT be an intel. The got my 2.4g with the Abit BH7 so that I could do some heavy overclocking and I dont even overclock it anymore cuz I wore my cpu out or something. I used to be able to overclock to 2.8 with now hickups Now I have to bump it down to about 2.6. I think I might have done some permenant damage with I tried going up to 3.2. Anyway I think im done with pcs anyway they are just pissing me off. My next computer is most likely going to be a mac.

• 11 months later...

Intel did invent the microprocessor in the very early 70s. Not for computers however, but to make video games programmable. At the time they were hardwired.

Intel's progression went something like this.

• 4004 - 4 bit - developed for video games

• 8008 - 8 bit

• 8085 - improved 8 bit (the Zilog Z80 was created by Intel engineers that left Intel and used the same opcodes)

• 8086/8088 - 16 bit. 8088 went into original IBM PC. Both processors were the same except the 88 only had an 8 bit bus. Why would anyone want a 8 bit bus on a 16 bit processor as it required two fetches to do the same amount of work? It saved money on the raw card.

• 80186 - 16 bit This was an 8086 that had extra hardward packed onto the chip that made it easier to design with. Mostly used in non-computer applications such as printer controllers.

• 80286 - 16 bit Used in the IBM AT. This is the same basic architecture used in all windows based PCs today. First Intel processor to distinguish between real mode and protected mode

• 80386 - 32 Bit Interestingly it was Compaq that was first to market a computer with this processor. It was the first time that IBM did not lead the market. Intel finally got rid of the hated segmented memory with this chip and went to a flat memory model.

• i486 - Improved 386. AMD started agressively cloning from this point

• What would have been called the i586 was renamed the Pentium. Intel did this so they could register the name.

• Later versions of the Pentium and its derivatives switched from CICS internally to a RISC architecture. However they maintain the CISC instruction set through emulation within the chip. A current chip, should execute code for the 8088 of 25 years ago.

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back. :thumbsup:

And Apple is switching to Intel, and never going back. Those PowerPC's got too hot in laptops, and since Apple sells mostly laptops, that's not very conducive for their market eh?

Technically, none of the processors are better than the others. It's just a matter of taste. Each specializes in a different aspect of computing architecture. But since everyone is voting for what their computer has, here's a vote for AMD.

And Apple is switching to Intel, and never going back. Those PowerPC's got too hot in laptops, and since Apple sells mostly laptops, that's not very conducive for their market eh?

Technically, none of the processors are better than the others. It's just a matter of taste. Each specializes in a different aspect of computing architecture. But since everyone is voting for what their computer has, here's a vote for AMD.

Ironically one of Intels biggest faults right now is thier overheating issue. The 9xx Pentium D's should be a little better than the 8xx because they are switching to 65nm to 90nm.

Metro. Yeah Intel was very innovative back in the day but you have to admit nowadays AMD is just kicking Intel's rear.

And to contrast with that, I've got a dual 2.5GHz PPC G5 at work that needs to be liquid cooled and has several cooling fans!! If I "anger" the computer enough, I can get all of the fans to spin up and it is pretty loud. My office is significantly warmer than it used to be too.....glad I'm not paying the electric bill...... :lol:

And to contrast with that, I've got a dual 2.5GHz PPC G5 at work that needs to be liquid cooled and has several cooling fans!! If I "anger" the computer enough, I can get all of the fans to spin up and it is pretty loud. My office is significantly warmer than it used to be too.....glad I'm not paying the electric bill...... :lol:

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the switch to Intel... but I think it'll be good. Intel is starting a new line for the Apples and I've never had a problem with Intel.

Before this computer I had a Dell (it amazes me how many people out there try to convince me how great their Dells are and how cheap they were)... well, when the mother board fries up on its own and you have to buy a new processor because they no longer carry the mother board that can use the same processor you bought with the computer... it tends to drive you away. (And don't get me started on Windows... I almost mailed the CD-ROM back to Microsoft when I got my Mac just to tell them I wasn't satisfied)

It's true.. once you have Mac (especially for casual computer users like myself), you'll never go back.

I just got my new AMD Athlon 64 FX57 two days ago and it's rather nasty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103558

For my servers I like to use Intel Xeons because they seem to hold up rather well under pressure and I don't really trust AMD on that front.

really? I've heard nothing but praise about the Opterons :P from Network Admins who convinced the boss to take the plunge, to amateur server admins such as myself

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the switch to Intel... but I think it'll be good. Intel is starting a new line for the Apples and I've never had a problem with Intel.

Before this computer I had a Dell (it amazes me how many people out there try to convince me how great their Dells are and how cheap they were)... well, when the mother board fries up on its own and you have to buy a new processor because they no longer carry the mother board that can use the same processor you bought with the computer... it tends to drive you away. (And don't get me started on Windows... I almost mailed the CD-ROM back to Microsoft when I got my Mac just to tell them I wasn't satisfied)

It's true.. once you have Mac (especially for casual computer users like myself), you'll never go back.

It will be interesting to see how the whole Apple/Intel thing comes together, I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, it's the OS for me. Like you, don't get me started on Windoze... A former coworker of mine is currently testing Intel/OS X on a Thinkpad, sounds pretty good so far.

Dells? Well, we have a contract with Dell where I work. Good for general work that most folks too, reasonably priced (get more expensive when you really want to start playing with power), but certainly uninspiring. They bore me... -_-

• 4 weeks later...

You can kiss the PowerPC bye. IBM is out and Intel is in.

Only in regards to Apple. The fastest computers in the world run Power chips from IBM. And IBM dominates in the server market (where the real high tech exists) with Power. Power is also found in the Nintendo Game Cube, MS XBox360 and will be in the Playstation 3. If you want real power, you get an IBM Z-series which can run 20,000 copies of Linux simultaneously on one box and still have room to run other OSs as well.

And just this week, Power 6 was announced. You might be interested in this article where I note that Apple is mentioned.

Sales to Apple were about 3% of IBM Microelectonics sales. It just wasn't a big enough or profitable enough market for IBM to be much concerned about. The G5 was a trimed down Power chip that only Apple used.

Archived