Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

urban addict 20324

Taipei 101

Do you like the design of this building?   74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the design of this building?

• A+: Best design for the world's tallest building!
    • A: Excellent design.
    • B: Good
    • C: Average
    • D: Subpar
    • F: Horrible architecture!
    • 0: Worst-designed building on Earth!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Here is the new world's tallest building, completed just last year (2004). It is located in the city of Taipei, Taiwan. This single tower rises to 509 meters and it beats Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers by about like 57 meters. I was curious to see how people thought of the design of this new world's tallest, so take the poll and add any additional comments below.

466%20Petronas%20Towers.JPG

Old world's tallest buildings.

taipei%20101.jpg

New world's tallest building, under construction, this is probably summer 2003.

wd.jpg

Almost finished...

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b18

I couldn't find any pictures on the completed tower, so click on the link above to see the finished tower plans. If you have a picture of the finished Taipei 101, post it here.

It's a beautiful building, but good lord.....it looks like Yao Ming standing among a group of 4 year old kids. It has to be 800 feet taller than anything around it, for what looks like miles.

Its definately out of place. It is a unique design, which is a plus. Its not my favorite building, but its not bad :)

I agree it doesn't blend into its enviroment a lot, then again it is future thinking in a way, being that it sticks out so much I'd be interested in what Freud would think on this one! ;)

It's a beautiful building, but good lord.....it looks like Yao Ming standing among a group of 4 year old kids. It has to be 800 feet taller than anything around it, for what looks like miles.
:rofl: Hahaha! LOL. Actually I think it's more like 7'-6" German Shawn Bradley standing in a bunch of kids-he is thin for his height and so is Taipei 101. :rofl:

That "Taipei 101" has only 5 segments of 8 stories each (total 40 floors) , compared to the real one that has 8 segments of 8 stories (total 64 floors). Maybe it's the height limit for the building designs in SC4. <_<

I like how it looks like a pagoda or something. I'm sure it must be nice for its tenants to have such an unobstructed view, since there's like no other tall buildings nearby, lol.

The Taipei 101 holds the world's tallest building in 3 places: tallest structurally with a spire at 509m, tallest roof at 448m, tallest floor with the 101th floor at 438m. However, if China pulls off the Shanghai World Financial Center in 2007, Taipei would hold the record in only being structurally tallest. The Shanghai World Financial Center would hold the tallest roof at about 492m and floor with the 101th floor a few meters below the roof. If NYC could finish the Freedom Tower with a spire at 541m (in feet, that was the year of the Declaration of Independence, 1776) in 2009, Taipei 101 would hold nothing in 5 yrs because of both of these buildings.

IMO, all the "tallest" records don't really mean much. Each year, we get a new tallest, and it usually surpasses its predasessor by a few feet. I think aesthetics are most important!

IMO, I find the design for this builiding rather underwhelming, considering its prominence in the sky-line and the bona fide title of worlds tallest. I dont really think the pagoda motif applies well to such a tall tower. Its almost as if when designing the building in CAD or whatever they used, the designers just held down the copy/paste button and said OK its done! It doesnt do anything to draw the eye up.

I think it looks kind of thin and lonely; since it towers over the neighboring buildings and there's no tall building(s) close by, but maybe later there will be.

Taipei 101 is a beauty, and nothing to complain about in my opinion. But i agree it looks lonely to this date, but i actually kinda enjoy seen Taipai 101 all alone...:)

200402.jpg

Well there is an upside to standing tall alone, it's visable and prominent for many square kilometers around!

I think that it is alright. Someone BATTed this building and it didn't look good. I downloaded it because it looked cool in the picture they had of it, but when I saw it in game it was just not a pretty sight to see.

The building looks ok. I've seen much better, but I've also seen 1000 times worse. The building looks alone now, but Taipei is starting to emerge as a world city, so I doubt it will be alone for very long.

It's impressive, to be sure, but I'm more of a "gradual setbacks and clad in stone and ornamentation" skyscraper fan. A lot of new supertall postmodern and structural expressionist building are, IMO, rather hideous. Taipei 101's all right, but for the me the main draw is its height, not its beauty.

man i got to congratulate you people because the asians over ther are banging it with the buildings.I know its the over population but they got it going over there.props to you people over there,you blew us away.