Taipei 101

urban addict 20324

Do you like the design of this building?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the design of this building?

• A+: Best design for the world's tallest building!
    • A: Excellent design.
    • B: Good
    • C: Average
    • D: Subpar
    • F: Horrible architecture!
    • 0: Worst-designed building on Earth!

Here is the new world's tallest building, completed just last year (2004). It is located in the city of Taipei, Taiwan. This single tower rises to 509 meters and it beats Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers by about like 57 meters. I was curious to see how people thought of the design of this new world's tallest, so take the poll and add any additional comments below.

466%20Petronas%20Towers.JPG

Old world's tallest buildings.

taipei%20101.jpg

New world's tallest building, under construction, this is probably summer 2003.

wd.jpg

Almost finished...

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b18

I couldn't find any pictures on the completed tower, so click on the link above to see the finished tower plans. If you have a picture of the finished Taipei 101, post it here.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a beautiful building, but good lord.....it looks like Yao Ming standing among a group of 4 year old kids. It has to be 800 feet taller than anything around it, for what looks like miles.
:rofl: Hahaha! LOL. Actually I think it's more like 7'-6" German Shawn Bradley standing in a bunch of kids-he is thin for his height and so is Taipei 101. :rofl:

The Taipei 101 holds the world's tallest building in 3 places: tallest structurally with a spire at 509m, tallest roof at 448m, tallest floor with the 101th floor at 438m. However, if China pulls off the Shanghai World Financial Center in 2007, Taipei would hold the record in only being structurally tallest. The Shanghai World Financial Center would hold the tallest roof at about 492m and floor with the 101th floor a few meters below the roof. If NYC could finish the Freedom Tower with a spire at 541m (in feet, that was the year of the Declaration of Independence, 1776) in 2009, Taipei 101 would hold nothing in 5 yrs because of both of these buildings.

IMO, I find the design for this builiding rather underwhelming, considering its prominence in the sky-line and the bona fide title of worlds tallest. I dont really think the pagoda motif applies well to such a tall tower. Its almost as if when designing the building in CAD or whatever they used, the designers just held down the copy/paste button and said OK its done! It doesnt do anything to draw the eye up.

It's impressive, to be sure, but I'm more of a "gradual setbacks and clad in stone and ornamentation" skyscraper fan. A lot of new supertall postmodern and structural expressionist building are, IMO, rather hideous. Taipei 101's all right, but for the me the main draw is its height, not its beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived