Year in Review : 2004 US Northeast US Part 3

hkskyline

Ground Zero

I walked around the perimeter of Ground Zero and visited the WFC complex one cloudy morning. I decided to take photos in cloudy weather because I don't think a bright blue background would've fitted the solemness of the scene. I remember on 9/11, I was checking my email at the university and I thought I had stumbled across a movie review when I saw a short blurb : World Trade Centre destroyed.

RIMG8516.jpg

RIMG8531.jpg

RIMG8541.jpg

RIMG8543.jpg

United Nations

The UN offers tours regularly throughout the day. As a student, I got a special discount, and with the coupon I picked up from my free guidebook, I saved an extra $1. As with my previous visits to the UN, I stocked up on stamps and souvenirs at the gift shop. I didn't expect to see the General Assembly hall. I was quite surprised and delighted it was part of the tour!

RIMG8757.jpg

RIMG8777.jpg

Cruise Around Manhattan

My friend and I bought a New York pass, and one of the tickets included in the package price was a 3-hour cruise around Manhattan. I actually had taken the 2-hour version before, but it was during the windiest and coldest day in December and I opted to stay indoors than to venture out for some phototaking.

RIMG8951.jpg

RIMG8957.jpg

RIMG9056.jpg

RIMG9066.jpg

RIMG9073.jpg

RIMG9400.jpg

RIMG9434.jpg

RIMG9439.jpg

RIMG9443.jpg

RIMG9462.jpg

RIMG9470.jpg

52901.jpg

52902.jpg

52904.jpg

52905.jpg

I thought I saw you in Hong Kong!

RIMG9014.jpg

.. and we quickly hopped over to the USS Intrepid to see the Concorde and all those planes!

USS Intrepid

RIMG9496.jpg

RIMG9536.jpg

RIMG9514.jpg

RIMG9523.jpg

New York is an incredible city. There are skyscrapers everywhere, yet at the same time, a lot of the residential areas are very pleasant. There are lots of trees and the heights don't range too much, so the view from the street is very good. I regret not having taken more photos on Park Avenue looking towards Grand Central. The view from the bus was very good but I was too lazy to hop off and snap a picture. My friend and I did a lot of walking for those 5 days. We were shuttling back and forth throughout Lower Manhattan and Midtown. By now I think I can navigate the New York subway system pretty well.

Buffalo, New York

Buffalo is western New York State's largest city. It is across the border from Canada and home of HSBC USA's headquarters (formerly the Marine Midland Bank). Interestingly, their skyscraper dominates the city's skyline. 2 hours away in Toronto, HSBC's skyscraper is hidden somewhere downtown.

RIMG7529.jpg

Buffalo's downtown is pretty quiet, but I like how they pedestrianized the main thoroughfare and put a transit line in it.

RIMG7533.jpg

RIMG7525.jpg

RIMG7543.jpg

City Hall has an observation deck near the top that is free. The view is great. Strangely, it is quite deserted. I went twice on two different days and I didn't see many people there at all.

52918.jpg

52919.jpg

52921.jpg

52923.jpg

52925.jpg

52926.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived