Year in Review : 2004 US Northeast US Part 1

hkskyline

Summary

I visited Philadelphia and New York twice in 2004 and added Buffalo in the summer. In total, I probably spent about two weeks travelling in the US. I've pretty much swept all the major cities in the Northeast in the past two years (Washington DC 2002, Boston 2003, New York & Philadelphia 2004).

April in Philadelphia

I visited a long-time friend studying in Philadelphia in April. He is a triple-major engineer living at the University of Pennsylvania, one of the top American schools. However, his place didn't resemble anything like an academic factory. His apartment was the congregation point for the Hong Kong crowd, with a red wine and mahjong tournament a few times a week. The "stupidest" person among the group was some double major with Wharton attached.

Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love. Here are some photos from the apartment building :

52857.jpg

52856.jpg

52853.jpg

52855.jpg

I really liked the rooftop lounge :

LZz04089.jpg

MEB04119.jpg

J7n04136.jpg

eQ004151.jpg

Philadelphia played a very important role in US history. Many of the original buildings from the 18th century are still here and open to the public.

52859.jpg

52852.jpg

52851.jpg

52847.jpg

52849.jpg

Philadelphia City Hall

The tourist brochures never mentioned that I could go up to the top of the City Hall tower. I think I got a tip from a fellow forumer in here when I was doing research for my trip. Too bad it was rainy that Monday morning, but the view was spectacular and free!

Times Square

RwJ03850.jpg

MRX03869.jpg

QUw03881.jpg

Qdf03892.jpg

6fg03905.jpg

3tc03925.jpg

li903941.jpg

SW403951.jpg

eaa03963.jpg

August in Philadelphia

I had just returned from Buffalo the night before and flew out early in the morning. It was a cold August morning .. only 7C or so. On the bright side, the skies were clear throughout the flight :

Three Mile Island

RIMG7928.jpg

Lots of farms in rural America

RIMG7936.jpg

More urban look

RIMG7949.jpg

Approaching PHL

dJw07603.jpg

hwf07675.jpg

kbV07719.jpg

My first order of business upon arriving in sunny Philadelphia was not to tour the city. It was back to bed! It only took about half an hour from disembarking to reaching the hotel in Center City. Later, I met some students from my university working in Philly on internship, and we went to beaches in Ocean City. It was unusually cool for August, so it was very comfortable walking outdoors. The Atlantic Ocean was freezing cold, though!

Ocean City

zsP08239.jpg

LCR08277.jpg

1N408302.jpg

Notice Atlantic City in the distance. I was actually planning to go there for a day, since the bus from Philly was extremely cheap! However, my classmate, who had flown to New York the day after I left for Philly, persuaded me to stay in New York one more day with her!

SwN08371.jpg

Goodbye Ocean City!

nu108387.jpg

Touring Philly

My 2nd trip to Philadelphia had a different purpose. I was visiting a friend who was working there. Her company rented her an apartment in upscale Rittenhouse Square with valet parking. It was great. The gentleman working at the front desk remembered my name after meeting me only once. He even remembered I went up to New York everyday and the day when I will leave Philadelphia, too. Talk about professionalism!

DSCN1420.jpg

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1450.jpg

city03.jpg

city01.jpg

city02.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived