Year in Review : 2004 in Canada Part 2

hkskyline

Vancouver

The trip to the West Coast was quite ad-hoc. A bunch of us decided to go somewhere after we finished our professional exams. I have been to Vancouver several times before, with my last visit in December 2002. However, this was the only visit where I was greeted with very good weather. Vancouver is a much more laid-back city, and perhaps with the best setting among Canada's largest cities. The mountains and ocean are clearly visible, and the Asian food is great. Richmond feels like a lowrise version of Hong Kong, and the CAD$20 sashimi buffets were spectacular.

Vancouver International Airport - the port of entry from Asia to Canada

RIMG0034.jpg

DSCN2344.jpg

A piece of home - Cathay Pacific, flying direct from Hong Kong to Vancouver, Hong Kong to Toronto via Vancouver, and Hong Kong to New York via Vancouver. Which route did this plane take?

RIMG0052.jpg

It was quite a contrast compared to week before when I was scrambling around in New York and Philadelphia.

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1765.jpg

DSCN1707.jpg

DSCN2233.jpg

Look at how clean the water is! It was just as clear in Stanley Park and almost everywhere I looked. The only exception was the muddier waters off Richmond next to the hotel that I was staying. However, a sea otter managed to pop out of the water and said hi to us.

DSCN1737.jpg

Water and boats everywhere :

DSCN2272.jpg

I tried taking pictures in Stanley Park twice. These ones turned out a lot better since it was sunny.

DSCN2289.jpg

DSCN2294.jpg

DSCN2297.jpg

Prospect Point

DSCN2305.jpg

I was wondering how to get down to the path by the water when I was up at Prospect Point. By accident I stumbled across a dirty path down the hill and after 20 seconds I reached Lion's Gate Bridge ... snap snap ... then another few minutes down a steep slope and I was by the water or this shot :

DSCN2331.jpg

Descending into Granville Station

RIMG0256.JPG

Victoria

BC's provincial capital, Victoria is a very lovely small city. What surprised me was the double decker bus that greeted us at the ferry terminal from Vancouver. Victoria and several other BC cities purchased Dennis Tridents and are among a very few operators in North America.

DSCN1919.jpg

I saw the Egyptian exhibit in Toronto earlier in the year. It was well worth my 5 bucks!

DSCN1914.jpg

The Queen is Canada's head of state.

DSCN2062.jpg

There are so many beautiful flowers at Butchart Gardens that I didn't even know where to start snapping. I think I was at photo #1000 at that point.

DSCN2100.jpg

DSCN2105.jpg

DSCN2124.jpg

Rocky Mountains

The weather was not good during my 4 day trip to the Rockies. Luck wasn't on our side, as the power went out in the small town we were staying on the first night. The sun did manage to peek out as we pulled into the Columbia Icefield :

RIMG0086.jpg

Back in the old days, tourists rode on this coach onto the glacier :

RIMG0108.jpg

RIMG0125.jpg

RIMG0132.jpg

Banff is the ultimate tourist spot in the Rocky Mountains. Heavily commercialized and overflowing with tourists, Canadians are very concerned that this mountain retreat is losing its charm :

RIMG0311.jpg

RIMG0300.jpg

Fall Colours

Truly spectacular, but due to exams again, I had to postpone my much-anticipated trip to Mont Tremblant, a ski resort in Quebec with stunning views of the fall colours. Instead, I snapped these :

DSCN3352.JPG

DSCN3354.JPG

So why do the leaves change colour? When temperatures drop, chlorophyll production stops and the other pigments in the leaves become more visible, such as red, orange, and yellow. They eventually fall off and are a nightmare to rake. Of course, some trees, such as evergreens, don't experience this problem.

DSCN3373.JPG

We stopped in a whole bunch of small towns and cities along the way. Kelowna is famous for its apple orchards, and they even grow fuji apples :

RIMG0573.JPG

RIMG0574.JPG

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived