Gainesville projects

zed

dgreen,

I assume you mean the last two developments that were discussed? The parking lot 9 parcel is very early in the planning stages. The SW 2nd Ave. has just begun.

Here's the other two major projects. The West University Ave. Lofts project construction is going quickly. All three floors are framed. Brickwork should start soon.

As for the University Corners project, I think the developer is waiting for a few more leases to end. I believe all previous leases will end in August. Then the final stages of demolition. Then construction. It's gonna be sweet!

I've recently heard of two more large projects coming in Gainesville, both are planned along south SW 13th St. near UF. One is a four-story mixed use project across from campus. Another is a five-story 200-unit multi-family development with a four-story parking garage. This project is located near the intersection of Archer Rd. and SW 13th St.

Urban infill is picking up, at least around the UF campus. The challenge will be to spread this development more towards downtown.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dgreen,

I assume you mean the last two developments that were discussed?  The parking lot 9 parcel is very early in the planning stages.  The SW 2nd Ave. has just begun.

Here's the other two major projects.  The West University Ave. Lofts project construction is going quickly.  All three floors are framed.  Brickwork should start soon.

As for the University Corners project, I think the developer is waiting for a few more leases to end.  I believe all previous leases will end in August.  Then the final stages of demolition.  Then construction.  It's gonna be sweet!

I've recently heard of two more large projects coming in Gainesville, both are planned along south SW 13th St. near UF.  One is a four-story mixed use project across from campus.  Another is a five-story 200-unit multi-family development with a four-story parking garage.  This project is located near the intersection of Archer Rd. and SW 13th St. 

Urban infill is picking up, at least around the UF campus.  The challenge will be to spread this development more towards downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like Gville is coming alive.

How far away are the last two projects you mentioned (13th St)?

thanks.

Timeline for both? The larger development was approved by the city commission two-weeks ago (the project is a PUD). So, it's probably at least a year before ground is broken, the way things around here go.

The other one, I'm not sure about. The city commission just approved a change in zoning for the property. The property was zoned residential. The developer had it changed to mixed use high density. The developer owns the entire property (two parcels or so), so the front end of the project won't be as slow as University Corners has been.

Both projects are within blocks of the UF campus.

I'll keep you updated the best I can.

For those still interested, the Holiday Inn on the corner of 13 St. and University Ave. is finally being painted. The painting is probably 10% complete. The horrible pinkish color is being painted over with earthtone colors. The building is being painted an earthtone brown and a light tan. It actually looks pretty sharp. The paintjob is definitely a major improvement. Hopefully they will get rid of the ugly turquoise awnings while their at it. Even if not, the paint looks good.

One day I'll learn how to post pictures to keep everyone better informed (all two of you). Right now, I just don't have time.

• 3 weeks later...

The 13th St./Univ. Ave. Holiday Inn is probably 90% painted. As we all wished, they are getting rid of the turquoise awnings. The new awnings are maroonish-garnet. I'm sure the FSU fans out there are smiling about that. But, I have to admit the hotel looks much more classy (not that garnet has ever been a classy color - hehe).

Other news, the Target Copy on 13th St. has successfully moved into its new building, the former Specs Music building on W. Univ. Ave. The interior renovation turned out beautiful. Hard wood floors, upper-end lighting fixtures, etc. Funny thing though. The Specs building was too big for Target Copy's needs, so Target divided the floor plan into three ares. Target Copy is keeping the largest area in the center of the building. And, the two areas on the left and right were framed up to seperate these spaces from Target Copy's space. Both of these leased spaces have storefront entrances facing inside the building. There are no exterior entrances to either leased space. It's an interesting setup, almost similar to a shopping mall. But I think it was a very creative way to use an existing building, and I'm sure Target Copy and its tenants will be successful in the new building.

The two leased tenants will be Fireside Subs (excellent - because Gainesville does not currently have a Fireside) and The Leasing Connection (basically, an apartment hunter). Also, there is a small bagel stand/coffee stand in the store as well. Target Copy also did minor renovations on the exterior of the building, mainly a fresh coat of paint. When you're in town, check it out.

Edited by Rock2uf

• 3 weeks later...

Seems that Gainesville has caught come of the flu from its northeast called Jacksonvilleitis, i.e., leaders and politicians can't agree on anything or get nothing done!

I have been to Gainesville and it is a beautiful, laid back but decent sized city of almost 100,000 inhabitants.  Sarasota, Florida, with a population of a little over 60,000 has skyscrapers all over its downtown; Gainesville should look like St. Petersburg or even any other major Florida City; instead, it is a cowpoke college town.

The leaders in Gainesville work similar to the leaders in Jacksonville, they can never agree on anything or get anything moving or completed.  A high-rise or several high-rises in downtown Gainesville would really boost the image of this already popular town notorious for its college and educational amenities.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this is an old quote, but I just had to laugh at the comment of how Gainesville "should look like St. Petersburg or...any other major Florida city." The Gainesville metro is nowhere near St. Pete. Just comparing populations, there are 250k residents in the St. Pete city limits alone, more than all of Alachua County. Sarasota is more comparable to Gainesville/Alachua. The major difference between Sarasota and G'ville is that Sarasota is a coastal city where highrise development is common and pretty much accepted.

Ok, back to the current conversation...

The University Heights area must be the hottest area in the city in terms of redevelopment. I kind of like how a dense, urban environment is steadily being created there with the small apartment and townhouse developments coming up. Hopefully, the University Lofts project will start the process of filling in the gap in activity/urbanity from the University area to the downtown core.

Jahi98,

I also laughed at the same comment you referenced above. As I've said before (and others on this site), building height does not equal a great city. And you're right, Gainesville has nothing in common with St. Pete, and very little in common with Sarasota other than size. Gainesville is actually a pretty unique city when compared to its Florida counterparts.

...but, yeah, the development immediately east of UF is crazy. Every time I drive through that area, I see a new 3-5 story semi-urban apartment complex going in. And I have to say, most of them are very attractive structures and they fit nicely in the area.

Rock, what's the latest on University Corners ? I got the impression from the article in the Sun yesterday that the city was reluctant to grant the (last minute ?) incentives package the developer was demanding.

I got the impression they were voting on it last night.

Dale,

Here is the Sun article that came out today:

http://gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...160326/1078/APS

I'm torn on this one. The University Corners will transform the area, but at the same time the developer's request is very steep for a city that has a weak tax base to begin with. If this project falls through, the developer will be out a crapload of money.

Should be interesting.

The 13th St./Univ. Ave. Holiday Inn is probably 90% painted. As we all wished, they are getting rid of the turquoise awnings. The new awnings are maroonish-garnet. I'm sure the FSU fans out there are smiling about that. But, I have to admit the hotel looks much more classy (not that garnet has ever been a classy color - hehe).

:D:D:D

Jahi98,

I also laughed at the same comment you referenced above.  As I've said before (and others on this site), building height does not equal a great city.  And you're right, Gainesville has nothing in common with St. Pete, and very little in common with Sarasota other than size.  Gainesville is actually a pretty unique city when compared to its Florida counterparts.

...but, yeah, the development immediately east of UF is crazy.  Every time I drive through that area, I see a new 3-5 story semi-urban apartment complex going in.  And I have to say, most of them are very attractive structures and they fit nicely in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone taking pictures in the Gainesville area... I'd like to see a few shots of these new buildings going up.

New to this forum, and have to say everyone's comments are interesting as well as exciting. Its great to see the passion and interest that everyone has in the development and growth of the Gainesville area.

If anyone catches wind of, or wants to discuss the investment in developing our city, please feel free to discuss that with me. I work for a regional commercial bank that is extremely interested and already involved with local projects. Thanks for all the support thats visible on this site... lets get others involved! -JR-

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone... Yes, Gainesville has a changing cityscape and its exciting. Rock2uf, I can't agree with you more about the student migration, and lets face it, that is this town's lifeblood. Pulling the students back in closer to town centers and the university is only going to bump up the revenue that these small business owners/TAX PAYERS are seeing in their stores. That type of movement will inherently spark increasingly enhanced developments, such as the plentiful condo units going up very close to the school, as well as new strip centers with quality buildouts.

I know there's been alot of discussion about UCorners... the tax issue is a very temporary stall from what I hear from the people involved. UCorners, undoubtedly, is deep in this project, and they don't have any plans of turning back.

The plans for the SW 2nd Ave redevelopment is genius in my opinion. The ease of development and simply the open space that's aleady there will help to compound the effect that revitalization and development already occurring on Univ Ave is having. Creating two conduits from University to downtown, each with their own appeal, will foster a long standing and successful playground for business and residential establishment. The rehab of that area might even help to improve the areas south and west of downtown, bordered by Depot Ave. The historic neighborhood of Porter's Oaks could benefit from higher property values, and could incent developers to work with that community to provide better housing and commercial space.

Just a few thoughts on Sunday... yes, go Gators and I sure can't wait till Saturday! -JR-

Hello everyone. I just found out about this forum and I have to say that it is wonderful to see so much good information about Gainesville. I am espiecally interested about the redevelopment of 2nd Ave and downtown, as the city is in dire need of some change.

As a matter of fact, the development firm I work for has recently submitted a response to a Request for Proposal (RFP) from the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) regarding Lot 10. Lot 10 is the city owned parking lot diagonal to the new downtown parking garage and across 1st Ave from Market Street Pub.

We hope to be chosen to develop this parcel and bring an amazing mixed-use project with upscale residential, office, retail, and resturants to downtown Gainesville. I will keep you all informed as to the status of this process and our project.

-Jason Weisbrot

Hello everyone. I just found out about this forum and I have to say that it is wonderful to see so much good information about Gainesville.  I am espiecally interested about the redevelopment of 2nd Ave and downtown, as the city is in dire need of some change.

As a matter of fact, the development firm I work for has recently submitted a response to a Request for Proposal (RFP) from the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) regarding Lot 10. Lot 10 is the city owned parking lot diagonal to the new downtown parking garage and across 1st Ave from Market Street Pub.

We hope to be chosen to develop this parcel and bring an amazing mixed-use project with upscale residential, office, retail, and resturants to downtown Gainesville. I will keep you all informed as to the status of this process and our project.

-Jason Weisbrot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to UP

Up in Charlotte, NC

jweisbrot,

I attended the Lot 10 CRA proposal. Were you there? Which company are you with?

Well, the CRA staff has selected a favorite proposal for Lot 10. The staff still has to present their recommendations to the CRA board, which will then present to the City Commissioners.

I was very impressed with two out of the four proposals, and I strongly feel these two would be great assets to the city of Gainesville.

Glad to see all the interest on the forum.