Gainesville projects

zed

JRadeker,

Yes and no. The city created an online database that lists all minutes, agendas, etc. of public meetings. Unfortunately, the information is usually about a month behind. It is a great place to learn about past city issues.

Browse to www.cityofgainesville.org, click on Legislative Portal on the left, then click on Legislative File Search. From there you can search key words within the city's database.

It's a good resource. Hopefully they'll keep it more up-to-date in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The city of Gainesville is selling a downtown parking lot to a condo developer. The developer is going to build a 12-story (you heard me right), 120+- unit mixed-use condo development on the site. I was at the Community Redevelopment Agency meeting when this proposal was approved, and it actually looks like this project is going to happen.

The project will be built on city parking lot #10, which is located just south of the Market Street Pub. The site is framed by SW 1st Ave on the north, SW 2nd Ave on the south, SW 1st St. on the east, and SW 2st St. on the west. This will be yet another catalyst development in Gainesville. If only the University Corners project would break ground.

The city of Gainesville is selling a downtown parking lot to a condo developer. The developer is going to build a 12-story (you heard me right), 120+- unit mixed-use condo development on the site. I was at the Community Redevelopment Agency meeting when this proposal was approved, and it actually looks like this project is going to happen.

The project will be built on city parking lot #10, which is located just south of the Market Street Pub. The site is framed by SW 1st Ave on the north, SW 2nd Ave on the south, SW 1st St. on the east, and SW 2st St. on the west. This will be yet another catalyst development in Gainesville. If only the University Corners project would break ground.

University Corner's still hasn't broken ground?! :o How long have we been talking about this one? Thats the 8 story complex witht he nice architecture right?

Yep, that's the one. I'm trying to be patient. :wacko:

You are patient. We're going through the same thing with our Convention Hotel downtown. Your project probably stands a much better chance than ours of coming to life soon. This project has been waiting ground breaking since 1998... and they keep telling us "tomorrow".

Of course there are other things going on to take our minds off of it, but one can't help but dream about the one that got away. But yours isn't getting away. See how weird I am! :silly:;)

TaureanJ,

You're not weird. You're just passionate about your city.

Are you a member of any city advisory boards, etc. in Tally. If not, you should be. Tallahassee could benefit from your enthusiasm. Many of us rant and rave on sites like this, but I strongly feel that most of us could greatly influence our communities if we decided to get involved.

Word of caution: once you do get involved, you begin to take city issues very personally (if you don

Rock,

LOL! Thanks. It feels good to know there are others out there like me. I am on a single advistory board, Keep Tallahassee Leon County Beautiful. But I must say, I haven't attended a single meeting since early this year and they may be in the process of replacing me (school, and work pressures).

Its great to have a medium like this to express my feelings, ideas, and concerns. I wish government leaders would use this site for insite and save us a trip to city hall and those long drawn out commission meetings. You're right, we do get passionate when we get involved. Stay that way.

Other news: Shands healthcare is planning to build a new 200-bed cancer treatment facility. Shands has already purchased the property, the site of the hideous University Centre hotel. The hotel will be demolished next spring (It's about time!! I will be there to watch!!). The new Shands facility will be 6-8 stories. Here is the Sun article:

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...1/1078/DAYBREAK

Man that game was rough!

I hear ya. Based on that performance, I'm not too confident we'll beat anyone else on our schedule except for MSU and maybe Vandy.

Oh, and FSU. B)

Other news: Shands healthcare is planning to build a new 200-bed cancer treatment facility. Shands has already purchased the property, the site of the hideous University Centre hotel. The hotel will be demolished next spring (It's about time!! I will be there to watch!!). The new Shands facility will be 6-8 stories. Here is the Sun article:

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...1/1078/DAYBREAK

And to think the University Centre Hotel was a marvel in its time. Remember the rooftop restaurant ?

There was a rendering of the Cacer Center in yesterday's Gainesville Sun, although the rendering was not put on their website. If I see one, I'll post it.

I have a question for everyone: A friend of mine suggested uplighting the smokestack on the downtown GRU electric plant. He suggested uplighting the stack in a deep (Gator) blue, possibly with an orange hue near the top. If done tastefully, I think this would be a fantastic addition to the city. It would be visible from Archer Rd. over the trees, from both ends of Main St., and from East University.

Watcha think?

Well that was a good article. It sounds like we're a while away from talking about a start date based on the article. Seeing has how this Gainesville Green just won the bidding, they now face the permitting processing which could take as much as a year in many places.

One thing I really like about this development, that I wish other developers would follow, is the concept of affordable units 40% below market rate. I'm an instant fan of this developer.

If you don't mind, I'll post the rendering from the article.

post-3748-1129338649_thumb.jpg

post-3748-1129338649_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, both UF and FSU fans are notoriously fickle. Many college teams would love to have a three, four, or five loss season. For many fans of the powerhouse Florida teams, this isn't good enough. I guess we've all been a bit spoiled over the years.

Even if we have a losing record (don't see that happening anytime soon), I'm standing behind my Gators.

By the way, I believe Firemick did intend his comment to be a joke.

Oh yes... it was funny. And I was only joking when I suggested the team must win for community support. I am the type of person who hates to see my teams loose (Lakers and Noles) but it bothers me more when there are fly-by-night fans who only hoot and hollar when the team is winning, then turn to another team as soon as we loose. Kinda makes me wonder about all of the Boston Red Sox fans that were around last year...