Thoughts on Columbus, GA

ATLman1

I was just looking at the Dec 2003 census MSA definitions and was surprised to discover that the Macon MSA has been significantly reduced in size, making it the smallest of the MSA's being discussed here. Apparently (my best guess) is that Houston county (Warner Robbins; pop ~110.000) was removed. I hadn't heard anything about that, and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this... I'll post the 2003 MSA estimates I've calculated in a minute when I'm done compiling them... They show Augusta is (surprisingly) still leading the way in growth for 2nd tier cities in GA.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSA 2003 estimates

2003 est pop; growth (numerical from 2000); growth (%)

Augusta - 511,489; + 34,048; + 7.1%

Savannah - 304,325; + 11,325; + 3.86%

Columbus - 287,082; + 12,458; + 4.53%

Macon - 226,022; - 96,527; - 30%

Obviously Macon's stats are skewed because of new MSA definitions. Using the 2000 definitions, the numbers actually look pretty good.

Macon - 346,456; + 23,907; + 7.4%

The Columbus Trade Area consists of the following thirteen counties in Georgia and three counties in Alabama.

Chambers, AL

Chattahoochee, GA

Harris, GA

Lee, AL

Marion, GA

Meriwether, GA

Muscogee, GA

Pike, GA

Russell, AL

Schley, GA

Stewart, GA

Talbot, GA

Taylor, GA

Troup, GA

Upson, GA

Webster, GA

Total Population 586,786

Plus add the extra 18,000+ moving to Columbus in 2005. You get my picture :thumbsup:

Well if you add Aiken, SC to Augusta than you have to add Auburn/Opelika to Columbus. That means you have to add another 120,000 to Columbus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not excatly. Auburb/Opelika are their own distinct areas and don't rely on Columbus, as much as Aiken relies on Augusta for entertainment and employment opportunities. They are also farther away.

BTW, what's going on in Augusta, that's causing it to dramatically outgrow Georgia's other second tier cities?

Columbus consolidated into its county along time ago. Most of metro Columbus's growth has been in the suburbs. Harris Co. to the north has seen its population increase rapidly over the last 10 years. What is unbelievable is that the counties north of Harris (Troup which is LaGrange and Meriwether) are about to be considered metro Atlanta. So will Harris Co. (more than likely) become metro Atlanta one day?

Ok, here it is:

Columbus-Auburn-Opelika CSA consists of the following counties:

-Auburn-Opelika-

Lee County, AL

-Columbus-

Russel County, AL

Chattahoochee County, GA

Harris County, GA

Marion County, GA

Muskogee County, GA

-Tuskegee-

Macon County, AL

Grand Total of: 281,768 based on 2000 population

Harris could go either way. Heck, Columbus might be the next suburb considering the way Atlanta is growing ;)

Yes, Augusta is a consolidated city as well, but that doesn't answer why it is continue to rapidly outgrow Georgia's other second tier cities.  I haven't been to Augusta in years, so can anyone tell me why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I knew what was causing Augusta to grow more than the other 2nd tier cities, but its sort of mind boggling to me. With the potential closing of Ft Gordon, as well as the continued enormous layoffs at SRS (employment could actually dip below 10,000 this year, when it was above 30,000 not 20 years or so ago). There hasn't been an enormous amount of new business investment either. The psyche of the area feels like its withering away, but the population numbers defy that.

I do feel that Augusta is the only 2nd tier GA metro with 2nd counties that could be considered economic centers in their own rights. Recent estimates have Columbia County still with staggering growth, breaking the 100,000 population mark, and its employment and services needs are really starting to veer away from Augusta-Richmond county (new hospital, shopping, lots of new offices, efforts to establish a real town center). And Aiken county (pop ~ 150,000) continues to grow and develop fairly independently, with the exception of N. Augusta, which will always be attached at the hip to Augusta.

I think what has helped the Augusta metro's growth is the healthy suburban counties surrounding it. Whether its the sickening, wealthy sprawl (Columbia County), or the mix of smart growth/new urbanism/sprawl (Aiken and North Augusta), or the slow infill between the urban centers (Midland Valley), I think its the expansive suburbs that are keeping Augusta from flatlining. Downtown Augusta is actually a pretty good/hip dining and nightlife destination, but the best business opportunities and residential growth are in the suburbs.

Recent estimates have Columbia County still with staggering growth, breaking the 100,000 population mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that Columbia county has a fairly high population, but have you ever been to Appling? Talk about a one horse town. It doen't represent the population very well, though it may better represent the county.

The last time I was in downtown Columbus I couldn't believe all of the changes. Bars, clubs, restaurants were all along broadway. Great place to go on the weekends. Plus the new Synovus building looks great at night. Columbus is a growing city, and it is growing in the right direction.

There have been some new developments going up, but they are not too tall. Synovus just finshed a nice 6 story building overlooking the river. I heard that Columbus State University has plans to build a 30 million arts campus downtown along with a 5 story dorm building and 5 story parking deck. Also, Columbus Regional hospital is finishing a new cancer building a little north of downtown. So in regards to height there isn't much planned for now. The new buildings will be a great addition to downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you guys think of Columbus, GA. It is a city of 200,000 with 500,000 in the metro area. It is home to a few Fortune 500 companies such as AFLAC, TSYS, and Synovus. There is a definite construction boom going on in the city. Just wanted to get some feedback on this city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My parents settled there after we returned from Germany. Its nice in some ways, quiet and peaceful. There are some nice areas and good neighborhoods. But I find it stifling, I get tired of the same few stores, restaurants etc. Not enough variety.

For someone who likes adventure,not good. But if you dont have wanderlust and like familiarity,its a great place.

I have only been to Columbus, GA once and that was for my brother's graduation from Ranger training at Fort Benning. We stayed at a great Bed & Breakfast that was in the Historic District and just a little way from the riverfront area. They totally reworked/improved/added to, etc their riverwalk environment back in 1998 and it's pretty nice. The "downtown" area is nifty enough with shops, boutique retail, bars and restaurants. The Historic District has some nice places and it was very walkable (our seven and three year old had plenty of fun walking and getting around). It's not a big area, so it's easy to see most of it.

As was stated previously, the town itself is spread out and is not overwhelming. I don't see us visiting again as we were there solely to see my brother graduate. Then again, should we have a reason or inclination, it would not be a bad thing. We really enjoyed the Historic area and the river. If I can figure out how to post pics, I will return to post some pics of the nice stuff we came across.

Thanks.

The Urb

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you add Aiken, SC to Augusta than you have to add Auburn/Opelika to Columbus. That means you have to add another 120,000 to Columbus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ATLman,

I know it was stated earlier but Augusta is much closer to Aiken than Auburn/Opelika is to Columbus. Augusta's Downtown is only about 12-13 miles from Aiken, and it is pretty much continously built up between the two cities. Augustans consider Aiken just a suburb in all reality.

About a week ago I went down to Augusta to take pics (they are all on skyscrapercity), and was amazed by all the growth I saw. Most of the growth, of course, was in the suburbs, but there were some nice new buildings going up around the Medical District too and a planned 19-20 floor Judicial Center for Downtown which is getting ready to be built. Ive spent alot of time in both Augusta and Columbus and Augusta just seems (and is) much bigger. Columbia County with Evans and Martinez ...and now even Grovetown, are growing like mad. Not sure what is up with all the growth there but perhaps the Medical Industry to helping it a bit.

ATLman,

I know it was stated earlier but Augusta is much closer to Aiken than Auburn/Opelika is to Columbus.  Augusta's Downtown is only about 12-13 miles from Aiken, and it is pretty much continously built up between the two cities.  Augustans consider Aiken just a suburb in all reality. 

About a week ago I went down to Augusta to take pics (they are all on skyscrapercity), and was amazed by all the growth I saw.  Most of the growth, of course, was in the suburbs, but there were some nice new buildings going up around the Medical District too and a planned 19-20 floor Judicial Center for Downtown which is getting ready to be built.  Ive spent alot of time in both Augusta and Columbus and Augusta just seems (and is) much bigger.  Columbia County with Evans and Martinez ...and now even Grovetown, are growing like mad.  Not sure what is up with all the growth there but perhaps the Medical Industry to helping it a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Augusta's downtown is any bigger than Columbus's. There are already a few tall buildings downtown such as the Government Center (11 or more stories but looks a lot taller), unnamed building (9 or 10 stories), some retirement home a few blocks from DT at 10 stories, Wyndham Hotel (8 stories), Carmike Cinemas HQ (7 stories) Suntrust (6 or 7 stories) Synovus (6 stories) and TSYS huge campus but it's only 3 buildings at 5 stories. AFLAC which is about a mile from DT is 20 stories and has another building on it campus that is 8 or 9 stories. Columbus's skyline is too spread out. There are plans to eventually add to the Wyndham. Also, a warehouse along the river is being torn down and will hopefully be a site for a future hotel. Columbus State University is building a new 5 story dorm and parking deck for their new arts campus along the river. If you add in the medical district a little north of downtown, that would add a lot more midrises and 1 highrise at 11 or 12 stories. About the growth, most of its out in the suburbs with new shopping centers, restaurants, hotels, etc. Phenix City is also growing like crazy with a new hospital and a 300 million dollar downtown revitalization with new hotels and shopping. There is really too much to name when it comes to the growth the Columbus/Phenix City/Opelika/Auburn area is seeing.

Atlman,

Not to make this into a pissing contest. Augusta has

18 floor Port Royal Tower

18 floor Lamar Building

17 floor Wachovia Tower

15 floor (apartments Downtown)

14 floor (another apartment building DT)

12 floor Landmark Hotel

12 floor Raddison Riverfront Hotel

11 floor Municipal Building

11 floor SunTrust Tower

Those are the ones I can think of right now. There are many more midrises (5-10 floor) buildings downtown, some are apartments, some office buildings, etc..

This is just Downtown though. There are plenty more midrises (nothing over 12 floors though) in the Medical District, in Summerville and in the Suburbs.

The Riverfront Development in Augusta is probably similar to that of Columbus though. There is a Science museum, Golf hall of Fame, and a mile or so of landscpaped parkland. Shops and Cafes sit at every entrance to the Riverwalk as well. Lots has been done down there since the early 90's. North Augusta SC (Augustas version of Pheonix city) is doing lots on their riverfront too, with new homes, golfcourse and midrise condos. It looks fantastic.

But I am glad to hear Columbus is growing like crazy. I hope it does well and maybe one day it will surpass Augusta as the second largest metro in Georgia.

Atlman,

Not to make this into a pissing contest.  Augusta has

18 floor Port Royal Tower

18 floor Lamar Building

17 floor Wachovia Tower

15 floor (apartments Downtown)

14 floor (another apartment building DT)

12 floor Landmark Hotel

12 floor Raddison Riverfront Hotel

11 floor Municipal Building

11 floor SunTrust Tower

Those are the ones I can think of right now.  There are many more midrises (5-10 floor) buildings downtown, some are apartments, some office buildings, etc..

This is just Downtown though.  There are plenty more midrises (nothing over 12 floors though) in the Medical District, in Summerville and in the Suburbs. 

The Riverfront Development in Augusta is probably similar to that of Columbus though.  There is a Science museum, Golf hall of Fame, and a mile or so of landscpaped parkland.  Shops and Cafes sit at every entrance to the Riverwalk as well.  Lots has been done down there since the early 90's.  North Augusta SC (Augustas version of Pheonix city) is doing lots on their riverfront too, with new homes, golfcourse and midrise condos.  It looks fantastic.

That sounds like a lot more than is actually represented in their "skyline", but it could very well be true. There just wasn't anything that standed out the last time I was there a few years back.

The new $70 million dollar National Infantry Museum has started construction. The blueprints for the new complex detail a 150,000-square-foot main building that will house eight 5,000-square-foot galleries, a cafe, themed cafeteria and gift shop centered around a grand rotunda. The new structure will provide climate-controlled, protective storage for undisplayed items. The museum is expected to attract 300,000+ visitors each year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have few pics of the older downtown part of Columbus, more street scenes than skyline shots. You can get a decent skyline view from the parking lot of the Russell Co CH across the river in Phenix City. I'll post them tomorrow.

Columbus feels hemmed in to me. Fort Benning eats up the entire southern and eastern part of the county, physically separating the city from any potential suburban areas in Chattahoochee Co to the south (which is part of the metro area). The more significant towers are sprinkled around the developed area, but if I remember right the tallest thing in town is the county CH.

That interstate spur has got to connect to something else. Running the proposed middle GA parkway from Macon to Columbus and then up to Auburn would be great for the city, as it wouldn't feel so isolated. And, it would give you a way to go west from Savannah/Augusta/Columbia/Charleston etc without having to fight Atlanta traffic; lots more people would go through town, in other words. Couldn't hurt.

This Columbus v. Augusta fight is silly. Both cities have advantages and disadvantages. Augusta, however, has made better use of their river than Columbus has, and any significant downtown redevelopment in Columbus needs to address that.

Archived