Top 4 or More R&B artists by region

Urbanrailfan

For R&B fans here, post your list of Top 4 or more R&B artists by each region. Old school and/or new school, it doesn't matter

My list

SOUTH

- Usher - Atlanta via Chattanooga

- Beyonce - Houston

- Erykah Badu - Dallas

- KCi and Jojo of Jodeci - North Carolina (what city were they from??)

- H-Town - Houston (Knockin da Boots)

- Silk - Atlanta

- Anthony Hamilton - Charlotte

- TLC - Atlanta (except Left-Eye from Philly)

EAST

- Boyz II Men - Philadelphia

- Mary J Blige - Yonkers

- Luther Vandross - NYC

- Marvin Gaye - DC

- SWV - Brooklyn/Bronx

- Alicia Keys- NYC

- Musiq Soulchild - Philadelphia

- Ginuwine - DC

MIDWEST

- R Kelly - Chicago

- Avant - Cleveland

- Tempttations - Detroit

- Gerald Levert - Cleveland

- Babyface - Indianapolis

- Earth Wind and Fire - Chicago

- Isley Brothers - Cincinatti

- Prince - Minneapolis

- Stevie Wonder - Saginaw

WEST

- Tony Toni Tone - Oakland

- Tyrese - LA

- DLS - Sacramento (Gangsta Lean)

- Whispers - LA/Oakland

- En Vogue - Oakland (except Terry Ellis from Houston and Dawn Robinson from Connecticut)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My interest in R&B is big but not die-hard enough to fill out all four regions. It's also mainly rooted in the soul subgenre. I stuck with the traditional difinition of R&B, as well. It seems these days anything done by young black artists that's less abrasive than rap is labeled R&B, which I think is totally rediculous.

Booker T. & The MGs (Memphis)

John Lee Hooker (Detroit/Chicago)

Isaac Hayes (Memphis)

Otis Redding (Memphis)

Joe Louis Walker (San Francisco)

Sam & Dave (Memphis)

The Blues Brothers ^_^ (New York/Chicago/Memphis)

Basically I love anything to come out of Stax/Volt in Memphis.

I don't know enough about R&B/soul/ or oldschool R&B (from what I was taught it was called doo-wop) to give an intelligent list by region but I'll help out with my little corner of the world ;)

George Benson ("On Broadway" in the 1970s, multiple grammy winner) is from Pittsburgh as well as the "original DJ" Porky Chedwick (WAMO FM) who was the FIRST MAJOR MARKET (TOP 25 MARKETS) DISC JOCKEY TO PLAY R&B AND DOO WOP! Porky had strong relations with the R&B scene and forced the hand of major labels and major media in giving the genre a shot. With Porky Chedwicks influence Pittsburgh one might say "invented" mass-media R&B!

Other notables include:

http://www.pittsburghfirst.com/ae/20040210...nlist0210p5.asp

"Art Rupe: Grew up in McKeesport and established Specialty Records, which recorded gospel hits by The Soul Stirers with lead singer Sam Cooke. Cooke's "You Send Me" was also recorded at Specialty but released by another record company. Rupe also recorded early hits by Little Richard, including "Long Tall Sally," "Tuttie Fruttie" and "Lucille" and Lloyd Price's "Lawdy Miss Clawdy."

Chuck Jackson: Grew up in Pittsburgh and became a member of the renowned Del Vikings. As a solo performer, he recorded the million-selling hit, "Any Day Now," which was also the first hit by the writing duo of Burt Bacharach and Hal David. In 1992, Jackson received Rhythm and Blues Foundation Pioneer Award.

Syreeta Wright: Born in Pittsburgh, songwriter and singer for Motown, also former wife of Stevie Wonder. Co-wrote "Signed, Sealed Delivered I'm Yours" with Wonder, Lulu Hardaway and Lee Garrett. Recorded hit duet with Billy Preston, "With You I'm Born Again"

Melvin Steals: Aliquippa native, co-wrote with his twin brother, Mervin, "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love" for the Spinners. The brothers also wrote a song for disco diva Gloria Gaynor called "Honeybee."

Johnny Daye: Born in Pittsburgh, a blue-eyed soul singer compared by some to James Brown. He recorded for several record labels before Otis Redding brought him to Stax Records, where his recording career stalled."

great topic interested in seeing all hometowns represented :)

Archived