Cities that you have obsessions with

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am eyeing Moscow. Anyone want a tour of the Kremlin? Lets go on a vacation! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to go. My only regret was not seeing it during the midst of the Cold War when the Soviets were running things. Same for East Berlin before the wall was torn down. I would also like to see St. Petersburg (aka Leningrad) as well, preferably in the winter.

A couple of other cities that I would like to see are Buenos Ares (sp), Sau Paulo & Brazilia, and Melbourne. Mostly because these are in the Southern Hemisphere and are quite different from Western cities in the North.

• 4 weeks later...

Los Angeles--especially because growing up in northern California I was told over and over again that LA is awful but I found out that I love it.

Detroit--amazing history and (sadly deteriorating) architecture, Sander's hot fudge, Coney Island hot dogs!

Las Vegas--hedonism, American-style. And really friendly residents.

outside of the US:

Buenos Aires--so many reasons: amazing architecture, great people-watching at all hours, distinct culture, residents' fascinating addiction to caffeine, fashion and psychotherapy LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel ya on that Brickell,.. its not an obsession,

But I have always had a thing for my home town.

Miami is a fascinating place that is pleasing to the eyes in so many different aspects. Its unlike any other city in the county, and is now primed to establish its self as a world class city.

Other distant cities relavant to me are......

Atlanta

Los Angeles

Hong Kong

and of course,.. New York City

What cities do you have obsessions with?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right now my biggest obsession is with Pittsburgh. It seems to be that combination of decaying Rust Belt city combined with reforming up-and-comer. Like an old city which didn't die, people just got more elbow room and everything still seems pretty alive.

Then of course there's all the other up-and-comers which interest me: Denver, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh (Las Vegas and Phoenix and other SW cities could be included here, but the first 4 are the ones that really interest me right now).

Then I am very interested in the still-dying cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Albany, Richmond, New Orleans.

The Left Coast has the prettiest cities from an aesthetic perspective to me (you can't get prettier than water and mountains with skyscrapers in between): San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle.

Then there's the oddballs that intrigue me: Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Sacramento, Fresno, Reno, on and on.

Then there's New York and LA, which aren't obsessions - they are a permanent mental preoccupation!

No idea what ties them all together. First and foremost I guess is the fact that I want to see more of them all. My obsession with a city doesn't go away until I'm "done" with it, meaning I no longer care to revisit it.

MM

Archived