Cities that you have obsessions with

For me, it is:

1) Mumbai, India

2) Orlando, FL

3) Chicago, IL

Those are my top 3, then others in no particular order are: Rome, Brussels, San Francisco, Albuquerque

Then there are a number of places that I look forward to visiting.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Buffalo, New York. It used to be a significant city, even on a national level. Now, however, it's barely important as a regional city. Yet it still has all the hallmarks of a major city. Lots of suburbs, pro sports, a light rail line, good museums and a zoo.

It has the unfortunate distinction of being one of the only metro areas (not just the city) to actually lose population. Upstate New York is perhaps the largest economically depressed region in the country. Last year, Erie County was about to shut down all but the most vital services, including the libraries. Imagine a county of over 1 million, without a single library open in 2005. The thought is just terrifying to me (I'm a frequent and avid library goer), but fortunately a very last minute sales tax increase spared the county. Political infighting keeps local politicians from addressing the regions problems and they are almost completely ignored by the state. Some of their problems are not their fault. New York is a high tax and high regulation (and thus bad for business) state. With no clout, they can't do much to change things at the state level.

Despite all these drawbacks, there are still a lot of good reasons to live in Buffalo. Home prices are probably the lowest in the country for a major city. It's is one of the most architecturally diverse cities in the country. Great museums and parks. There's a thriving arts community. This is one facet of the city they are using to try and promote regional tourism. Even Detroit is better off to a certain degree. They have much more name recognition, even if it's generally negative, and they have thriving suburbs to keep the region afloat. Buffalo is like a ghost, fading into nothingness. :(

What cities do you have obsessions with?

I've always had a thing for various cities, including (but not limited to):

Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis-St Paul

Each one of those places have always held a place for me to think about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charleston, SC

San Francisco, CA

Berlin, Germany

New York, NY

London, UK

Rome, Italy

Venice, Italy

Jerusalem, Israel

Foreign:

Hong Kong (not only a great skyline, but my best friend is from there)

Dubai (Where the hell do they come up with those designs, damn their rich)

London

Paris

Vancouver

US:

Boston

NYC

Philly (once my home)

Seattle

San Francisco

New Orleans

Close to Home:

Charlotte (I am blown away at what is going on here development wise. It is really exciting as each new project is proposed then built. I have seen six high rises built in my span of time here and I am waiting on another 8-15 to be built in the the next three years. You can see the change without having to wait decades)

Atlanta (love/hate relationaship there. Love the diversity and the location. Hate the sprawl. I used to live in Hotlanta and really saw it grow in the 80's, but it grew out away from the CBD and sprawl killed the inner city density. It does have one hell of a linear skyline though. It seems to stretch for quite a while. I-20 going eastbound near six flags is the BEST skyline shot of ATL there is to understand the nature of how long it really is). Plus I have to like ATL, it is where my livelyhood comes from. :D and of course most of my family is still there except for Parents.

Birmingham---Possibly one of the most overlooked cities for future potential. The heart of the south. My birthplace. A city that is laid out like a northern city (grided street pattern). GREAT MUSIC ! Plus a decent aray of things to do for a metro of a million. Mom and Dad. :D

International:

Stockholm, Sweden...AMAZING city! I was amazed by the beauty of the entire area...its just amazing.

London

Tokyo

Hong Kong

Mexico City...sure the pollution is horrible...but I loved my trip there, and hope to go back

United States:

New York

Miami

New Orleans

Chicago

Dallas

Madison,WI....I loved my time in Madison, the entire area is beautiful

It's always been Miami for me. It's so unique and beautiful and flavored with different cultures and there's always an element of danger. Unfortunately it falls into the "places you live to visit BUT..." category for me, though Ft Lauderdale and West Palm are close enough to still enjoy the area and I want to live in the lower half of Florida somewhere someday.

I've always been intrigued by the history and mystique of New Orleans but couldn't see myself living in South Louisiana for a variety of reasons.

In Europe, I visited a number of Western European cities and London and Dublin definitely were the ones I liked best. Many great cities just didn't seem aesthetically pleasing to me, just dirty. I never did get to visit Italy.

Charlotte (of course)

Boston

The Hague

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why is The Hague one of your favorite cities? I've been there tons of times. The whole city is being re-built, especially the city center. The public transportation is disfuntional at times because they tried to built the tramways underground while they were working just fine above the ground.

And besides that, the population density is the highest in the Netherlands. The city just seems overpopulated and chaotic to me. However, there are a few nice places there like Scheveningen, Kijkduin, het Binnenhof, and the many parks in the city.

Anyway, I have (had) obsessions with these cities:

Seattle

Vancouver

Los Angeles/ Orange County

San Diego

Miami

Portland

Phoenix

Nice and Monaco

Why is The Hague one of your favorite cities? I've been there tons of times. The whole city is being re-built, especially the city center. The public transportation is disfuntional at times because they tried to built the tramways underground while they were working just fine above the ground.

And besides that, the population density is the highest in the Netherlands. The city just seems overpopulated and chaotic to me. However, there are a few nice places there like Scheveningen, Kijkduin, het Binnenhof, and the many parks in the city.

I enjoy it because of much of what you described. It's both a classical dense European city, but also a very foreward looking city ( I would assume I would love Rotterdam as well, though I've never been) You have the classic pedestrian shopping streets, skyscrapers, old/mixed with new architecture, tourist areas, and an amazing Tram system regardless of whether it is dysfunctional at the moment.

For many of the same reasons I think Boston is the perfect American city (though the T does have it's shortcomings)

Archived