Prague, Czech Republic

LeTaureau

Prague is truly an amazing city, an archituctural gem hidden in the heart of Bohemia. Walking through the ancient cobblestone streets is like stepping into a time warp, the inner city is perfectly preserved, and looks much as it did 200 years ago. Prague was lucky enough to have been spared during world war II unlike other Baroque capitals like Dresden. Czechoslovakia was one of the first "Germanic" countries to be annexed by Hitler, so the area was never invaded, or bombed by the allies.

There are fine examples of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and art nouveau architecture all throughout the old city. The colorful and highly ornamental facades blend harmoniously into a definative style that gives Prague its character. The city is surpisingly dense as well, most of the buildings are in the 6 to 8 story range, and sometimes taller.

Here are some quick stats:

Population of Czech Republic: 10.28 million

Population of Prague: 1.21 million

Area of Prague: 496 square km

As far as the eye can see....

bigview.jpg

In Winter

praguesky.jpg

Tyn Cathedral

Praguesky.jpg

Prague Castle

praguecastle.jpg

Charles Bridge, with St Nicholas Cathedral in background

charlesbridge.jpg

Awesome Square

praguesquare.jpg

"The City of Golden Spires"

praguestreet.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome Pics!  Do you know much about Prague?  I was wondering who the statue on the bridge was made to honor, looks like the pope.  Should be an interesting story behind that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question. It sounds like most of the statues are Saints or former Popes. Here is a breif history of the bridge that I found on the web...

Charles Bridge (Karlův most)

Charles Bridge and Prague Castle

Charles Bridge is a stone Gothic bridge that connects the Old Town and Mal

• 1 month later...

Awesome Pics!  Do you know much about Prague?  I was wondering who the statue on the bridge was made to honor, looks like the pope.  Should be an interesting story behind that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think this was who it was meant to honor per se, but I just saw a great show on the Travel Channel on Prague that said one of the big things on Charles Bridge is the statue of Saint John of Nepomuk who was killed there and thrown in the river. If you rub it with your left hand, it brings good luck!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've traveled a good deal in Europe and been to Prague twice, most recently in March 2004. In my opinion (and I've not seen Paris), central Prague and Venice are about as close to perfect as urban form gets. I've noly been in Prague during the colder months, but adding some of the park attributes of London is about the only thing I would change.

The quality of the architecture is outstanding, and the continuous amount of urban fabric is amazing. Unfortunately, there is a good deal of modernist Le Corbusier garbage on the outskirts, but still, Prague at night is unreal. You couldn't imagine more dramatic, inspiring cityscapes.

One of my friends and I walked alone into the Castle after hours while the snow was falling- the guards just let us through without questioning us. It was meserizing and haunting.

Seriously, if you can, get to Prague. We went on a cheapy trip using go-today.com.

Worked out very well, nice accomodations, and the US dollar still goes far.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived