Autumn in New England

Scott

pumpkinmum.jpg

With cool temps at night, photosynthesis in trees ends, the lack of chlorophyl in the leaves reveals a brilliant display of reds, oranges, yellows and purples.

treefall.jpg

copleystatue.jpg

Copley Square

hancockfall.jpg

Boats are put away as autumns chill signals the end of another season on the Charles River in Cambridge

charlesriver.jpg

More to come... Got any good ones? Post em!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics, Scott. The fall colors are at their peak here. Only the oak trees haven't started changing yet - they'll keep their leaves until November. I left on Saturday afternoon & the tree in my front yard had all of its leaves still on it...when I came home Sunday afternoon every last leaf off the tree was laying on the ground. I was going to take a pic of it...the colors on it were especially nice this year, but I guess I'm not going to now. Now I've got to help clean up the mess it made on the front lawn :(

Thanks for the pix. I like the shot of the Pru area from that angle in the rain.

Future Architect, am I right in thinking you are from Detroit? The leaves around Boston have not changed color yet for the most part, but we are starting to see hints of things to come. The weather has been right for a good show this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to go to Boston on Thursday for work. I took the commuter rail. When I left Providence the snow was coming down pretty hard. I got to around Mansfield and it was actually sticking, didn't expect that.

That was the earliest I've ever seen snow. Even when I was living in Maine we didn't have any 'til Halloween.

Here's twp pics taken on that crazy thursday! These two real nice farms are right across rt. 119 in Littleton, Massachusetts from each other.

Gary's Farm

garysfarm.jpg

-----------------------------

Spring Brook Farm cir.1713, the 11th oldest active farm in Massachusetts.

springbrook.jpg

Pumpkin farms....those bring back memories! When I was little, my parents always took me to our local pumpkin patch, where they had a corn maze & free cider & doughnuts. And of course, I always picked out a huge pumpkin that I couldn't even lift! All that is gone now...it's been replaced with houses & parking lots.

Archived