• Jacksonville
    • Nasvhille
    • Louisville
    • Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Richmond
    • Lexington
    • Knoxville

It is really silly to compare cities purely on tower size, particularly of similar sized metros. Now in terms of just talking about skylines, yeah some of certainly better than others, but the context here has become we have this building so obviously we the bigger more sophisticated-lookout-NYC city.

If the discussion is about skylines then it should be purely about the appeal of the skyline, not how better or worse the city is compared to its peers.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess I am biased. I have got to go with Jacksonville first and then Nashville is my close second. The Batman building is just so impressive!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jacksonville is definitely first! The reason for this is that it has other features which enhance the skyline: bridges and water. Most of the other cities listed do not have these additional attributes.

Nashville should be number 1 in this poll I know that charlotte is on top now but lets have this poll two year from now when the West end summit and the signture tower is starting to go up and also the viridian should be finished GO NASHVILLE...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since this poll is asking for current skyline, don't vote ahead. Besides, both Jacksonville and Charlotte have more projects going on downtown than Nashville.

According to Emporis:

Nashville:

8 proposed

1 under construction

Charlotte:

6 proposed

5 approved

1 under construction

1 reconstruction

Jacksonville:

5 proposed

7 under construction

1 under reconstruction

Jacksonville also has 13 projects at 20 storys or higher that are not yet listed in Emporis. I've also noticed that Davidson county has been losing its population every year since 2000. That can't be good for its future.

Davidson lost some people to rutherford and williamson county the people are now going far its just the spawl of thoses county but I think its not a bad thing thats why we have the commute rail projects but nashville is growing into a major major city that has a hugh suburban area..

That is why I don't think Nashvilles skyline will continue to grow much after the current projects. The people are moving outward, Hendersonville and Murfeesboro and the like, and that limits what Davidson will be capable of if it continues to lose people. That is a huge county and to be losing people is not good. Nashvilles suburbs begin well before the city limits ends.

Jacksonville is also a city-county consolidated government and has a very large county but its gaining more in county than it ever has and so are the surrounding counties. This is why I think it's skyline has more potential.

2000 census had Jacksonville at 735,617 and current projections have it over 800,000 now. See what I mean? Nashville metro is still growing as a whole just fine but it's insides aren't doing as well.

I agree with viper but the skyline will continue to grow because of all the people that are moving downtown... if u have notice people are flockin downtown because nashville is building everything downtown,,, Coliseum, Gaylord Entertainment Center, future Sounds park so the city is not losing as many people as it seem its just the outline areas in Davidson because of the cheaper real-state property in the surrounding counties

The one feature that I love about  the Nashville skyline is that all of the building seem like they are the same height. The batman 617ft  and the L&C is 400-425ft because of the hills downtown they look also the same size thats cool ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there really that big of a height difference between the Bellsouth building and the L&C? blink.gif I would never have figured.

No, they look the same height because so much of the Bellsouth consists of... antennas.

I do wish people would start moving into Davidson County, not the suburbs. It's getting so crowded in Franklin. You wouldn't believe it's the same town if you haven't been here since 1990. We're approaching the half-century mark very quickly and the infrastructure won't be able to handle how many new people are moving in.

Archived