• Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Richmond
    • Lexington
    • Knoxville

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OKC is no bigger than anything that Nasvhille has. Nasvhille just has 200,000 thousand more. Thats not that big of a difference. Bell South building(620 ft. tall)

Bank one tower(500ft.)

Nashville in the last 20years has built seven buildings taller that OK's 3 tallest.

Thats allot of buildings. It has 3 proposed bigger, 1 taller than any of those buildings, and one being buit bigger than your second tallest.

I cant update the polls anymore.

Whoever said that Charlotte, NC could possible compete with Atlanta's skyline must be crazy. Atlanta's skyline is so much bigger. Just Buckhead's skyline is bigger than Charlotte's. There is no way you can compare Charlotte's skyline with Atlanta's. Charlotte's skyline is 30+ years behind Atlanta's. Atlanta has one of the best skylines of any city. The two cities just don't compare in anything. Charlotte's skyline is a joke to Atlanta's :rofl: .

In the city limits proper yeah Columbia isn't as large but Columbia's MSA is larger than both Lexington, and Knoxville. I guess I was looking at the wrong thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I don't know. I hadn't really considered waht we were discussing. Maybe you are right then. Perhaps Knoxville and Lexington don't need to be in the list? I have never thought of Knoxville as having any skyline to speak of.

Whoever said that Charlotte, NC could possible compete with Atlanta's skyline must be crazy. Atlanta's skyline is so much bigger. Just Buckhead's skyline is bigger than Charlotte's. There is no way you can compare Charlotte's skyline with Atlanta's. Charlotte's skyline is 30+ years behind Atlanta's. Atlanta has one of the best skylines of any city. The two cities just don't compare in anything. Charlotte's skyline is a joke to Atlanta's  :rofl: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who was trying to compare these two?

While Charlotte has added some very nice talls in the last 10-15 years, it still seems sparse to me. IMO, it has a nice skyline for a city its size though.

Getting off topic just a bit: I have lived in Atlanta my whole life, and I have family keeping me here, but (damn!) I'm sick of the incessant growth, and I'm not even an anti-sprawl nut. Hell! in Atlanta, growth is an industry.

Personally, I prefer smaller cities that have a bright future. If there is anybody out there who wants Charlotte, or Jacksonville, or Nashville or any other city for that matter to be big like Atlanta, then I've got a warning for you. Sure, there are the big-city amenities, but it comes at such a price.

I think that was me (guilty as charged) lol

Driving through Charlotte it just was very impressive to me, Atlanta is nice but denser and more, I believe Charlottes BofA is taller then any in Atlanta, nicer layout in Charlotte, just my two cents.

Personally, I prefer smaller cities that have a bright future.  If there is anybody out there who wants Charlotte, or Jacksonville, or Nashville or any other city for that matter to be big like Atlanta, then I've got a warning for you.  Sure, there are the big-city amenities, but it comes at such a price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very good point ATLBrain. Atlanta is always cited as an example of what can go wrong in a growing metro that has no sense of planning whatsoever. I can't speak for the other cities you mention, but in Charlotte there is a concerted effort to keep from reproducing what has happened in the ATL metro.

PghUSA, the christmas tree like crown that was bolted on the top of the former C&S tower in Atlanta was put there specifically so it would be taller than the then BofA tower being built in Charlotte. Personally I think that crown makes it a rather ugly building that looks like a burning cigarette at night.

And even more importantly, let's not forget how much is happening "near the ground" where we actually walk, live, work, and play. I'm all for new towers, sure, but when it comes to livability, what makes better sense for me? Avenues which will resemble 1st, 2nd, 3rd Avenues in NY. Now THAT's city living. Towers are things you walk by or see from a distance, the streetlife and streetscape is the most important of all, and that's where I see Nashville heading. A tall city? Tall is fine, but the streets are where life happens. The streets are where you see the most inspiring and interesting aspects of urban life. Tall, ultra modern towers full of the rich don't do it for me, but a city full of the "us" among us, does. I certainly hope we don't screw it up.

I'm really excited about the H.G. Hill's food store that's to be included with Viridian. Downtown's only grocery store! I think that's really going to be a boost for downtown and for its residents. I think tomorrow I'll be visiting downtown to eat at The Old Spaghetti Factory on 2nd. I'd also like to take a look at Viridian's progress.

I'm all for new towers, sure, but when it comes to livability, what makes better sense for me? Avenues which will resemble 1st, 2nd, 3rd Avenues in NY. Now THAT's city living. Towers are things you walk by or see from a distance, the streetlife and streetscape is the most important of all, and that's where I see Nashville heading. A tall city? Tall is fine, but the streets are where life happens. The streets are where you see the most inspiring and interesting aspects of urban life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on, Dave. You guys in Nashville are fortunate that most of the old buildings with character are still standing. I love 2nd Avenue, and now it looks like that whole concept is moving down Broad and over to 3rd, 4th, and Church. I wish Atlanta had done the same thing.

I appreciate your keeping us abreast of the development up there.

Rocket, is that second pic taken from Vandy? It looks like Neely Auditorium. When I was at Vandy (early 90s), we would go down to Ichiban downtown for sushi. Now that place had a very NYC/urban feel to it. Is it still there?

Right on, Dave.  You guys in Nashville are fortunate that most of the old buildings with character are still standing.  I love 2nd Avenue, and now it looks like that whole concept is moving down Broad and over to 3rd, 4th, and Church.  I wish Atlanta had done the same thing. 

I appreciate your keeping us abreast of the development up there.

Rocket, is that second pic taken from Vandy?  It looks like Neely Auditorium.  When I was at Vandy (early 90s), we would go down to Ichiban downtown for sushi.  Now that place had a very NYC/urban feel to it.  Is it still there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That pic is from Vandy and Ichiban is still on second avenue. It caters more to the tourists now and its pretty low on my list of good sushi places in Nashville.

Ru San in the Gulch is my new favorite sushi place.

As of this morning, it seems there are three new restaurants opening on Broadway this month and next. The Global Cafe in the old Planet Hollywood building is curious to me. It's being touted as the first in an international chain of resturants with the next one opening in April in Wellington, New Zealand. It's operated by the Bethel World Outreach whose main emphasis is to provide a positive impact for downtown and young people...that's a switch. Tony Boselli, former Jacksonville Jaguar, and an investor, describes the business model for the cafe as one that includes various revenue streams such as its cafe business, catering, and meeting facilities. Interesting about-face from the recently opened Coyote Ugly.

Across the street Casa Bona Italian restaurant is opening in the old Harly Holt furniture building within a month.

A Sullivan's Steakhouse (out of Chicago) is opening in the former Senachi Irish Pub at the corner of 4th and Broad in the same intersection as the Global and Merchants.

Red Iguana, a multi-club concept just opened in the former NASCAR Cafe building two blocks down.

The area around the quickly rising Symphony Center is getting alot of attention south of Broadway. Just today, another announcement of a mixed-use residential/retail building was made. There are no details, but it's currently a large surface lot. I hope its capped at 3-5 stories to keep the neighborhood scale. That, along with the new Hampton Suites, a new large parking garage, whatever Novare and Giantarra are planning on their land, the new residential/mixed use projects planned by the Ragland Companies, in addition to the really big ones at the Thermal site and Rolling Mill Hill, and the opening of the first phase of Gateway Blvd this summer, the area is about to take on a whole new look. After all this time, we're finally going to see the new downtown neighborhoods that we've been hearing about come to life.

The contractors sign for the Stahlman has been placed on the building. These will be apartments for those who can't drop a quarter million on a condo.

One more thing, the crane for the Viridian is now in place. I can't wait to watch that sucker climb.

Well, I guess that's enough for those few downtown blocks. This is fun.

Coming along nicely. The Broadway is converting to condos instead of apartments. Here's some pics from last week. I think the completion is expected in a month or so.

img03381fx.jpg

img03393ke.jpg

img03410ot.jpg

img03426qn.jpg

Bristol East hasn't started yet. It appears the company is rethinking its desire for more expensive condos on Woodland at the moment and will try to balance out the project to include more "regular" people. A great idea imo. Start? Dunno.

The property across the street, the multi-acre BOA property was just purchased by CODA. Seems they've got something large up their sleeves for that. Great location.

Thanks, Dave. I was wondering why Bristol East had been taken off of their website.

They've started work on our very own Bristol Southside and I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

I saw a picture of 20th Street in the early 70s and the change that has happened since then has been simply incredible. It was hideous looking.

All Charlotte has on Nasvhille is two buildings. Take away BoA and Hearst and charlotte is not as spectacular. If you take the financal center and bell sout away from nasvhille it would be ok. Charlotte really w/o out those would not even be discussed on these boards. Nasvhille and charlotte both have 8 towers proposed or approved. They both only have one under construction.The Viridian is larger than Trademark. Nashville is in the proscess of building there fist really large tower. In the next 25 years nashville, in my opinion, will surpass charlotte. All i am saying is that Nasvhille has much more depth and is now going up. I really dont see why charlotte gets all the attention.

I see why you do vote at first glace for charlotte, but look into each city!!

Jacksonville has noting planned like Nasvhille(Signature Tower) and there tallest isnt as tall as Nashville's.

I vote NASVAGAS.

Check out the facts if you dont believe!!!!!!!! You must type in your city name in the top left.

:D

You'll learn as you get older that while skyscrapers are absolutely scrumptious, they don't make a city.

Some of the best projects going in our cities right now can't even be seen in the skyline, and that's fine with me.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true. Also, If you take away all of Chicago or New York's major skyscrapers, then what do you have? Yeah, it ain't much. I don't buy the argument of "taking away" buildings, when you just can't do that. That said, Nashville has a fine skyline IMO, and this new tower will only improve it!

Im not saying the skyline of Charlotte is bad, in fact its awsome. Im just trying to prove that nasvhille is not as far behind as people may think. Also Dallas Texan, Nasvhille is also greatly improving away from the skyscrapers, in fact they arent as important, your right. But look, to name a frew big projects near downtown, The New Sounds Ballpark, Bristol Condos/ Townhouses, Gateway Ave. or w/e, and the Kats are back in Nashville. Oh i almost forgot the symphony hall and countless the number of new restraunts opening(I.E. Germantown(nashville not memphis)).

Archived