• Jacksonville
    • Nasvhille
    • Louisville
    • Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Richmond
    • Lexington
    • Knoxville

All Charlotte has on Nasvhille is two buildings. Take away BoA and Hearst and charlotte is not as spectacular. If you take the financal center and bell sout away from nasvhille it would be ok.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, the unbridled zeal of youth! Watch it brewerw, you're treading on thin ice with the Carolina contingent (j/k).

I voted for Nashville for what I think may be the same reason that brewerw is saying. It has a bit more breadth. It seems to have more buildings over a certain height (I don't know what that is... maybe 150'). Also, its midtown is bigger right now. I still think Charlotte's is nice. And let's not vote based on what some city is going to have built (not yet anyway).

Bot cities look like they'll gain several exciting new towers in the next few years. Best of all, the projects on a smaller scale to weave those often-impersonal towers together are on a tear right now.

Also, folks, please do not cite Emporis with a lot of credibility. I know that it's missing 5-6 over 10 stories in Atlanta, and at least that many on the Vanderbilt campus in Nashville.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be noted that recent announcements in Charlotte include a 48 story, a 35 story, a 28 Story, a 25 Story, a 24 Story a 21 Story and a couple in the teens, towers. Most of these are condos which have alreadly mostly sold out. These are going to be augmented by the downtown trolley, light rail, commuter rail and street car systems currently under construction, being planned, or in operation.

CBD%201104%2031.jpg

This graphics shows all of the projects currently under construction in the DT area.

2004_Clt_Aerial_with_Projects.jpg

1 Trolley Barn

2 South Light Rail

3 615 East Morehead

4 Irwin Creek Greenway

5 Trade Street Streetcar

6 Multimodal Station

7 Third Ward Park

8 5 Wachovia

9 Davidson Street Extension

10 Metro School

11 Independence-Kenilworth Intersection

12 Little Sugar Creek Greenway

13 Target - Home Depot

14 Midtown Square Condo and Shops

15 Grubb Elizabeth Ave Development

16 CPCC Academic Center

17 Meck Courthouse Parking Deck

18 Meck Courthouse

19 The Park Condos

20 Trademark Condos

21 City View Towers Student Apts.

22 CVS Pharmacy

23 Novare Church St. Condos

24 NBA Bobcats Arena

25 Trammel Crow Caldwell St. Offices

26 Courtside Condos

27 Court6 Condos

28 Renwick Condos and Apartments

29 Drakeford 8th St. Townhouses

30 M Street Condos

31 Piedmont Court Hope IV Redev.

32 Alpha Cotton Mill Apartments

33 Brevard Street Widening

34 First Ward Park and Parking Deck

35 Imaginon Children's Theatre/Library

36 Graham Street Condos

37 Fourth Ward Greenway

38 North Commuter Rail

39 I-77 HOV Lane

40 230 S. Tryon St. Condos

41 Hampton Inn Clock Tower

42 North East Light Rail

43 Millenium Square

44 Trade Street Federal Courthouse

45 Johnson & Wales Business School

46 Queens University Law School

47 Westin Condos/Offices

48 Cornerstone 300 S. Tryon Offices

49 Amtrak High Speed Rail

50 Opt12 Condos

51 Bechtler Art Museum

CBD%201104%2024.jpg

I think all our large cities are doing incredible things. No need to list them, they're all doing it. I personally think Nashville, Charlotte and Jacksonville are more immediately poised for greater things, but Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, the NC metros (and the others, you know who you are) are nipping at our heels. Doesn't matter, does it? I've enjoy seeing the rebirth of our cities after the goofs of the past. Sure, let Birmingham build another mall...they're sure not going to be the last city to pander to the desires of the great suburban nation we live in. Nashville's doing it, too. But our prime concerns as members of urban life don't really need to focus on such nonsense. I can spend hours around the core of my city and never get bored. There's just so much going on or about to. The burbs will happen; I'm afraid they'll just get worse. But when I'm downtown or in my little "close to town" neighborhood, what goes on on the "outside" ceases to interest me.

Even today, a new upscale residential project was announced for another ugly empty parking lot next to the new Symphony Center. It promises classical architecture and street level retail. That's what I want to hear.

I've been to all our southern forum cities and there are things to like about every one of them. It sure makes road trips worth it. Personally when I come back home, I like where I am. I'm sure everyone else feels the same way about their cities too. I sure hope so.

Wow, Marc, I wish I had the energy to do something like that. Amazing work, my friend.

Seeing pictures like this of Charlotte is fun. It gives me an idea of what we might look like in a few years (you guys are ahead, no doubt about it). I'm just happy to be here to be watching all the new stuff happening in front of me.

Great pictures. If I ever get a couple of week off, I'll check out all those links! lol

Dave, my goodness, you are so right. Now that I live downtown, I could care less what goes on in the sprawl. I have my own life here and that's all that matters.

There were actually several new announcements today in Birmingham as well - I'll be sure to post them in a January update. Some are quite large, and all are what we love in new projects.

Wow, monsoon.  Nashville needs to follow in Charlotte's footsteps.  I hope that after the commuter rail connecting downtown to Lebanon is finished, a light rail between downtown and Opryland Hotel will be built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Claw  i havent heard about other opryland hotel and a light rail please give me more info

Forget what i just said. I had a bad source, thats amazing. Im really glad charlotte is in the south. Mabe i was wrong about Jacksonville to. Thats really cool and i wish that i had the TIME to do what that guy did for Charlotte. My school, MBA, give like 5 hours of HW a night. I've had alot of time recently b/c of exams. Davce, what was announce today? How big? Where?

I'm not sure brewer, it's the big lot bordered by the Symphony Center, the Market Street Apts. and the Shelby Pedestrian bridge running between Second and Third.

Gee, before long, where will all the party people leave their after hours beer bottles? Downtown parking lots remind me of my college days waking up and thinking..."who's gonna clean up this mess?" Fortunately, they do quickly.

Downtown is going to get interesting pretty soon. Almost like a feud, the Pradas vs. Levis. That could get fun.

I think our Wig Land (or whatever it's called is still open).

The old Family Dollar (by the Arcade) is closing. I'm not a fan of Family Dollar at all, but people will still need sundries and such. Is there any such thing as a mini-urban Target? That might be a nice idea. It's next to the Kress lofts which stalled a bit, but is now on track again.

Maybe I'll write 'em a letter.

I don't worry too much about the area being "too yupped up." I think our Philadelphia-native mayor is too much the proponent of diversity to not at least promote the development of affordable housing. Yups are okay, and spend lots of money, but from an interest factor, they're a bit boring. Hopefully, there will be room for everybody.

Boy, do I agree!  The BellSouth Tower is my favorite skyscraper of all time.  It may be relatively short, but it more than makes up for it in style.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love the BATMAN,,,,------,,,,I CANT WAIT UNTIL THE BATMAN GETS SOME COMPANY BECAUSE ITS LOVELY....GO SIGNATURE TOWER

Well, TT, just hang on to your horses. This just in:

A well-known developer only needs additional two parcels in the Symphony District to complete the purchase of two blocks of property in SoBro. He states "a different kind of building" with ground floor retail, and "several hundred" residential units.

Could this mean yet another large bump in the future skyline? Just might be.

a skyscraper in sobro would be awesome. and in all honesty, i don't like the batman building that much. i know it is a nashville landmark though so i don't totally hate it either. my favorite has to be the financial center. it just looks classy and not gawdy like the.....umm....formerly mentioned :whistling: . here's a link to it financial center. i also like city center, but i'm kinda partial cause my dad works there and i get to park there for free, so downtown parking for me is awesome!

Really? I've never cared too much for the Financial Center. It's bulky and the facade is grossly overdone, especially if you look at it up close.

Oddly enough, I don't really like many of Nashville's skyscrapers individually, but together, they form a great skyline. Does that make any sense?

Oh, and who loves SNODGRASS?

I do!!! :lol:

Really? I've never cared too much for the Financial Center. It's bulky and the facade is grossly overdone, especially if you look at it up close.

Oddly enough, I don't really like many of Nashville's skyscrapers individually, but together, they form a great skyline. Does that make any sense?

Oh, and who loves SNODGRASS?

I do!!! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i still like the financial center. well except this one time when a bum chased me outside the lobby. i guess that's what i get for drunkenly hitting signs at 3 in the morning. i wish they would write messages in snodgrass again. and yes, it is the most visually stunning building in nashville :lol:

Yeah Columbia's looking nice, but I wouldn't count it among the cities listed.  I've lived there for about 16 years and nothing much has changed except for growth in the northeast area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure waht you're talking about. Columbia has come along way since 3 years ago! Its not quite in the league of Charlotte or Jacksonville, but progress is being made :)

Archived