• Jacksonville
    • Nasvhille
    • Louisville
    • Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Richmond
    • Lexington
    • Knoxville

"The estimated population for Davidson County in 2004 is 595,714. Households are estimated at 248,911. These values represent approximately 60% of the growth projected for the 2000-2010 period. 

Looking to 2010 - Davidson County is projected to continue its pattern of slowing growth. The 2010 projected population for Davidson County is 619,771: an 8.8% increase over 2000.  This compares to the 11.6% growth seen for 1990-2000. By 2010 approximately 50,000 new residents will be added, and most of this growth will be focused on Priest Lake, Bellevue and Far South Davidson County between I-24 and I-65."

The 2000 population of Davidson County was 569,891 and as they estimate it now (Well...at the end of 2004) its at 595,714 thats an increase of 25,823 (or 4.5%) in 4 years. Therfore according to this source, The Metorpolitian Government of Nashville (which I would say is as credible as they come since I'm sure they did a much more indepth study of the area than the World Almanac or US Census), Nashville is growing at a healthy but slowing rate.

The quoted bit is from the following link:

http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/population_projections2010.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the projections. I've learned the best thing to do is take the 3 most credible sources and give them an average. It doesn't always work, but it does pretty good compared to most individual sources.

Just for comparison. ATLBrain siad Daidson has been adding at 45k-60k each decade for the past two or so decades. As big as Davidson is, it should be adding more.

The past two decades, Duval county (Jacksonville) has added 100k each and has already added 70k by the end of 2004.

Nashville still has the bigger metro though :thumbsup:

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<

1.Duval county is much bigger. Of davidson's 502 sq mi. only like 300 are inhabitable. If you were to make Davidson the same as Duval you would have to add Williamson at least. If you did this Nasvhille would be ahead and growing faster.

2. Are you saying the Nashville government is wrong? I would rather have the local governments oppinion than anyone else. :D

Ok first of all thats not true Jax downtown has less and not as tall hi-rises though its tallest is like Tampa's but that and the modis building are generally its big hi-rises for downtown. Nashvillesdowntown it does have taller one except its just antennas that put it ahead, although i think its downtown is nice i think that they are pretty close.

Jax Nice but small downtown

Jacksonville.jpg

Tampa-lacks a few hi-rises but has some on the way a growing city

239458658dJxyXi_ph.jpg

Tampa6.jpg

Nashville i would have to see in real life to really tell how it is. Is that a dump on the lower right?

Nashville.jpg

That pic of Jax looks old to me. Where it the Adams Mark? One other problem with trying to see all of DT Jax is we have two banks. By late next year, our tallest 2 will be on the South Bank at 750 ft each. Plus at least a half dozen others on the South Bank at 20 storys and higher.

Yes, that is a very large dump/recycling thing in the middle of Nashville.

These pics show more of DT but makes the buildings look small because it's so far away.

62sq.jpg

downtownwide0ll.jpg

Yes, that is a very large dump/recycling thing in the middle of Nashville. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's really not all that large. it takes up a few blocks probably. it is an eye sore i'd like to see gone though. maybe a good place for a park to connect to the greenway.

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

1.Duval county is much bigger. Of davidson's 502 sq mi. only like 300 are inhabitable. If you were to make Davidson the same as Duval you would have to add Williamson at least. If you did this Nasvhille would be ahead and growing faster.

2. Are you saying the Nashville government is wrong? I would rather have the local governments oppinion than anyone else. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. There are 4 seperate cities in Duval county, besides Jax. They are Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Baldwin and Jacksonville Beach.

2. Like Nashville, a large portion of Jacksonville/Duval County is uninhabitable, as well. Undevelopable portions of Duval include the Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve, naval land, the St. Johns River and its tributies.

3. The city of Jax is also actively purchasing thousands of acres surrounding the developed areas for a greenbelt.

4. Regardless of county size, growth percentages would work well, when comparing population growth. What are the growth percentages for the cities?

it's really not all that large. it takes up a few blocks probably. it is an eye sore i'd like to see gone though. maybe a good place for a park to connect to the greenway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I agree...Nashville has ignored the Cumberland for far too long and hasn't treated it as an asset like it should (for example allowing such an eye sore to occupy its banks). That's all starting to change though. It started with the Titans stadium and the Shelby street bridge and is being continued with the new Sounds stadium along the river. Hopefully something will be done about the salvage yard and something of use that compliments the river and downtown will be put in its place. That being said the river is still nice and complimets the city nicely....which can be seen in the first pic here:

img3630.jpg

Tampa should have a much larger downtown, because its metro has nearly 2.5 million residents, which is more than twice the size of many cities on this list. Although, the city of Tampa has a little over 300,000 residents, its downtown is the main urban business center for the entire Bay Area metro. With that being said, Tampa's downtown is actually quite small for a metro its size, when compared with similar sized cities like Pittsburgh, Denver & Cleveland. However, I'm sure the skyscraper boom going up there, will help out a lot.

Tampa is bigger, twice as big. You do understand the economic importance of a large metro population to businesses when it comes to building downtown?

Why do you think Boston with its city of 500k has a skyline worthy of a city of 5 million? Because metro population has a direct effect on downtown development. Same with Atlanta, Miami, Pitts, Minn and more.

Tampa itself is small for a big city population.

I can understand people rating Charlotte's skyline ahead of Jacksonville's, but Nashville?? As I said before, Nashville is a nice town, but the skyline lacks the height and setting on a large body of water that Jax has. I think this is some home cookin. By the way, for its population, Tampa is bush league and is behind J-ville and Miami in Florida currently. It will apparently get better soon though.

Depends. Jax's downtown sits on both sides of the St. Johns River. So it depends on which way you view the skyline. Its very impressive and loaded with depth, when viewed from the Hart Bridge or the Beaver Street viaduct, as well as I-95 in LaVilla. However, the tall glass towers along the waterfront in the typical skyline shot of the Northbank, hides several towers behind them, as well as totally leaves out the southbank skyline. I'll if I can dig up an old pic showing some of these angles.

Nashville's BellSouth building is all spires and is the same height as Jacksonville's Bank of America bldg.  After this, we have another bldg (Modis) in the 500s.  Jax has plenty of depth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr Riverside, I think the pic of the bellsouth building is not accountable, the reason being the bellsouth building is located on the bottom of a hill in DT . All the building in the pic look the same size but the batman is 200 ft taller then any of are building DT. tHE MODIS and the BOA. building is over 100 ft shorter then the bellsouth so GO Nashville.

Archived