Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Trader Joes in Boston across the street from the ICA convention center.  It would be nice to see one like that in downtown Providence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trader Joes would be perfect for Providence... I'm hoping it goes where the current Wayland Sq Whole Foods is when it closes (and according to the people I have been talking to, it apparently will be closing, when is uncertain, could be '07 or '08, but it will close after the opening of the Cranston one :angry:). I can't think of any other business that could make it in that Wayland space. However, Downcity would probably also be perfect as well. Perhaps we could have two Trader Joes? It's not like there's much Downcity/Wayland shopping overlap.

- Garris

Trader Joes is definitely coming.  Apparently they need to find a location with at least 68, dedicated surface parking spots.  Not likely Downcity...Believe me, Buff would love to have them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's dumb, if they go somewhere outside of the Downcity core, they lose my business. I want a place Downcity where I can stop on my way home from work and pick up what I need for dinner (I already use the Kennedy Plaza 7-Eleven as my ice cream store on the way home from work). Not someplace outside Downcity with parking. Even if I had a car, and even if I drove it to work, I'm not looking for a place that I can drive to to shop, I already have that.

Trader Joes is definitely coming.  Apparently they need to find a location with at least 68, dedicated surface parking spots.  Not likely Downcity...Believe me, Buff would love to have them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<Trembling> Need... to... go... count... Wayland... Square... Whole Foods... Parking... Lot... Spaces...

<Teeth chattering> Need... Trader... Joes... to... replace... XR^@#$!&... Whole... Foods...

:D

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having lived in Boston (Brighton to be exact) for 8 years the one thing I really miss in Providence is a Trader Joes. Seems to me like the perfect environment. One less Whole Foods would be fine with me, as long as TJ's replaces it. Are you sure that TJ's is coming? Hate to get my hopes up :(

Their reps were in town over the summer actively looking for locations. I remember that parking stipulation as the main reason they were going to avoid Downcity. Maybe once the local downtown population eclipses a certain number they would be more likely to consider...?

Not even with the new parking garage that will be built on the old Traveller's Aid (Union St)? RISD kids as well as all the new tenants in Cornish properties will be all over it if it was there, as well as J&W across the street. Icant believe an outlet like Trader Joe's wouldn't be interested in such a high foot traffic area... too bad.

be closing, when is uncertain, could be '07 or '08, but it will close after the opening of the Cranston one .

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is Whole Foods opening in Cranston?

I must say I dont understand the purpose of the Wayland store. With East Side Marketplace next door and a much bigger nicer Whole Foods in University Heights it seems really redundant. When theyt were building University Heights I alsways just assumed the old store would close. I was surprised that they kept it open.

On matters of west side food shopping: I finally started going to the Eagle Sq Shaws instead of the S&S at the Parkade. I always hated Shaws, but I must say this is a really nice market. I only wish I had started going there sooner. And with all the construction on Rt10/CranstonSt it is actually a shorter drive than the Parkade.

Liam

That's dumb, if they go somewhere outside of the Downcity core, they lose my business. I want a place Downcity where I can stop on my way home from work and pick up what I need for dinner (I already use the Kennedy Plaza 7-Eleven as my ice cream store on the way home from work). Not someplace outside Downcity with parking. Even if I had a car, and even if I drove it to work, I'm not looking for a place that I can drive to to shop, I already have that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How bout if it was on the Westside, say off Broadway near the Public Safety Complex? Trader Joes, then open up Westminster through the reviled Pei Auditorium, and then we're getting somewhere!

Easily accessible to all the downtown development, plenty of parking, a good-sized westside population clamoring for an "alternative" grocery. Perfect location if Trader Joes were my company....

How bout if it was on the Westside, say off Broadway near the Public Safety Complex? Trader Joes, then open up Westminster through the reviled Pei Auditorium, and then we're getting somewhere!

Easily accessible to all the downtown development, plenty of parking, a good-sized westside population clamoring for an "alternative" grocery. Perfect location if Trader Joes were my company....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Selfishly, as a West Sider, I'd love that. :)

On matters of west side food shopping: I finally started going to the Eagle Sq Shaws instead of the S&S at the Parkade. I always hated Shaws, but I must say this is a really nice market. I only wish I had started going there sooner. And with all the construction on Rt10/CranstonSt it is actually a shorter drive than the Parkade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to go the the Parkade before Eagle Square opened, what a pain in the ass. I was so happy when Shaw's opened, I went to the grand opening! :lol:

Selfishly, as a West Sider, I'd love that.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thought you'd like that!

(as would I, its easy walking distance from my house!)

But seriously, its a prime spot that I think is going to undergo a drastic change in the next couple of years...

Thought you'd like that!

(as would I, its easy walking distance from my house!)

But seriously, its a prime spot that I think is going to undergo a drastic change in the next couple of years...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd still prefer a Downcity location. That would be more in my direct line of commute and more importantly, many peoples direct line of commute. Unless it were right on Atwells, it would still be out of the way for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be just wonderful. In my fantasy world they would open up on Westminster street somewhere between Citizens and Bridgham St.

Liam

I prefer East Side Market to Whole Foods.  On Saturdays I take the fake-trolley to ES Market even though Whole Foods Univ. Heights is quite close by.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe we can get East Side Marketplace to open a sister location, West Side Marketplace.

I must say I dont understand the purpose of the Wayland store. With East Side Marketplace next door and a much bigger nicer Whole Foods in University Heights it seems really redundant. When theyt were building University Heights I alsways just assumed the old store would close. I was surprised that they kept it open.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard a rumor that Trader Joe's had been interested in taking over the WF Wayland Sq. location after WF committed to University Heights, and that WF decided to keep the Wayland location open simply to block Trader Joe's from moving to the East Side.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

don't know how true it is but I recently heard that Whole Foods is lobbying to keep Trader Joes out of Providence all together...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that wouldn't surprise me, but I can't see how there's really anything they can do about it.

Maybe we can get East Side Marketplace to open a sister location, West Side Marketplace.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paolino floated the idea of an urban market on the sie of the old Police Station at LaSalle square. The idea didnt gain much momentum but as all these residential towers move in, I wouldnt be surprised to hear that again. He was talking with the owner of East Side Market.

Archived