Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats not cool.

Sidewalks are public property, plain and simple.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is absolutely true. But there are some serious issues with this. As it currently stands, sidewalks are in a "no-man's-land" of responsibility - technically, they are public property, owned by the city (or in the case of state roadways, the state). But the city does almost nothing to maintain them. That is the responsibility of the property owners.

Its one of my biggest problems with Providence - the streetscape is almost completely neglected in every neighborhood, from Silver Lake to the East Side to Downtown. If the sidewalk really is part of the common, in the service of every citizen, the city needs to take more responsibilty in their care and not shrug that responsibility solely off onto the property owner.

I have no problem investing in improving the sidewalks in front of their bldg...

I wish more companies would invest in downtown with their own money, for their own purposes, and for their own well being. this topic lends to my affinity for competition within the business sector. maybe this would put a charge in competing businesses to invest in similar projects

a concern of mine would be to begin a precedent for businesses owning the sidewalks in front of their storefronts. Not all of them can or should have this privilege, but the mayor was a lawyer, right? I'm sure he is capable of drafting up contracts that allow for the city to keep the upper hand

...in the contract, there would have to be stipulations of the public right of way and such things, comparatively similar to the westin's skybridge...

covered sidewalks in some places would also lend to more people venturing out in the elements of a cold winter or a scorching hot summer day, right?

Maybe the new DIT program will help with this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Providence needs a BID along the lines of what Philadelphia has. Check out the link below. When I lived in Philadelphia the Center City District (BID) was able to get local property owners, tenants, etc on board for a number of initiatives. One that I stilll remember was a program where retailers/landlords actually got grants to improve their storefronts (signage, lighting, etc). The CCD also went so far as to hire private streetcleaners and regulate the location of streetcorner newspaper vending machines, which I must admit had begun to overrun sidewalks. However, what really makes the CCD, is that it has power (granted it by property owners) and a really talented group heading it up. This isn't some neighborhood business group or a group of volunteers and appointees (like the Capital Center Commission) that meets every other week. The CCD has a full time staff whose pure job is to make Center City Philadelphia as hospitable to residents and business as possible and they are succeeding. I think downtown Philadelphia is a poster child for an urban area that has really turned itself around over the past 10 years.

http://www.centercityphila.org/aboutus/default.aspx

While I think many may be thinking that Philadelphia is a much bigger city than Providence (with a bigger corporate presense and more residential action downtown) and that something like this can't get off the ground and/or work in a city of Providence's size I beg to differ. Geographically speaking, Center City Philly is surprisingly small - I'd guess its a rectangle roughly 2 miles across (river to river) and 1 mile north to south. While downtown Providence is still smaller, if you throw in the Jewelry district, western college hill, wickendon street, federal hill - you're talking a similar size area with many similar attributes (universities, bohemian - "artsy" thoroughfares, a convention center, rivers, malls, etc) but even more clustered ethnic and physical diversity. The Jewelry District BID is great, but its too small as is a "Downcity" BID. A larger BID, which can pool more resources (enough for a full time staff with a dynamic leader), I think could do much more for improving the city.

What I ment by "DIT" was providence's new program DID:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5823

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Downcity Business Improvement District (BID) is great and long overdue but I would argue its purpose (and the area it represents) is too narrow. Its power seems to be limited to enhancing trash cans and keeping Downcity "clean" and "safe" whatever that means. While any BID should take care of thes etypes of tasks, we need a BID that will go further like the Philadelphia Center City District, which is working on revitalizing a huge, barron parkway with new lighting and walkways - and is taking the initiative to explore development opportunities. As the Downcity BID now stands, it can't initiate or explore anything like that. A powerful Downcity BID should champion projects like Heritage Harbor and go one step further by studying ways to generate offspin business and development. Remember Cianci's New Cities proposals??? In downtown Philly, proposals like that could have come from Center City District - they don't wait for the slow as molasses city or state government economic development or planning departments to take action.

I was walking by Kestral on the way home tonight and saw two people inside, one with what I can only assume were architectural plans rolled up. Looks like someone might be making another go at the space soon.

Also (and good news perhaps for the new owners of the Kestral spot) the Pell Chafee Theatre looks to be coming along nicely.

Empire will be two-way as well. You can see where they have the traffic lights set up for it at Washington. I'm not sure what is going to happen at LaSalle Square to tie it into the existing streets.

On a side note note with this new building being 8 floors I think its going to block the entire sun from his new peerless buildings. :/ ( the peerless enjoys wonderful sunlight becasue the old Aid building does not reach great heights.

I think 8 floors will be the tallest building on Westmin.

The parking garage will be 8 levels, but I think the building is 7 stories. Count the floors in these renderings:

GrantsBlock-001.jpg

Parking levels are generally shorter.

Also, Union Street will be widened to allow for two-way traffic to access the garage, so the new building will be set back further from the Peerless than the current building, allowing more room for light to get in.

I walked the street this morning and the sun cuts right over top of the Aid building. I'm not sure if the wider street would help due to the direction of the sun. The current 7 story buildsings block out the sunlight but since the street has a mix of building levels you get large pockets of sun. The Aid building is one of these vast pockets and in result soak Peerless in sun. ( almost all day )

I would think they would consider this since it's his building. You could be right however and maybe it will provide even more but I dont think so.

What a shame if he stripped the sun from his own project. I wonder if this have taken this into thought?

The building not gettin torn down "Roger Williams building " is that the one with "new image" store or whatever its called?

Grant's Block looks nothing like that rendering, which is about 2 years old. The building on Westminster Street will be several stories shorter than the building on Weybosset Street. The effect of the building's shadow on Peerless will of course be taken into consideration and the final design will likely have setbacks to prevent any blockage.

Grant's Block looks nothing like that rendering, which is about 2 years old.  The building on Westminster Street will be several stories shorter than the building on Weybosset Street.  The effect of the building's shadow on Peerless will of course be taken into consideration and the final design will likely have setbacks to prevent any blockage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good to know, any chance one might be able to share the new renderings with us?

I was wondering how much this had changed since I knew this rendering was pretty old.

Thanks Ari; Interesting post.

I'll be renting one of those spots in peerless that is the most likely to loose sun. While not a huge concern it is something that comes to mind. My spot only allows for noon sun so if a building height were to block the sun I would not be shocked ( though it would be missed.). On a large scale it just would be too bad since the rest of the building enjoys almost endless sunshine.

I look forward to seeing the new render. I think the last one looked sharp so I'm sure the new one follows in those same steps.

Will they be putting you up in Peerless?

On another note I'm happy to report that the providence yellow clean and watch teams work in the pouring rain.

Infact they have an entire waterproof bright yellow/green ensemble with black boots ( Logo and reflectors on the back)

Im just overly excited about how great of a job these guys are doing. The city is just the right size that this group can actually make a difference. ( I even ran into a two members of the watch team on an early Sunday morning stroll through the city )

Great origination. Great Job.

Im just overly excited about how great of a job these guys are doing. The city is just the right size that this group can actually make a difference.  ( I even ran into a two members of the watch team on an early Sunday morning stroll through the city )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My wife and I ran into one of the yellow-garbed cleaning people while walking around last week. He smiled and said hello in addition to diligently cleaning things up. Someone is doing a good job.

What retail stores would you like to see in Downcity Providence?  Please post specific retailers and/or general types that you think the neighborhood needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi great site..just discovered...moved from providence in 2002, and i am constantly on the web looking for a place to watch the evolution of that great city.

I always thought that the key to getting people to shop downcity was to have it not compete with the mall directly. Downcity should try to attract mid to high end outlet stores..

great site again

tdawg

Archived