Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Tdawg,

Where did you move to?

The higher end model seems to be where Westminster is trying to go, Providence's Newbury Street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Cotuit... metrowest mass, so I still get down to prov once a year, just long enough to see changes and hit my favorite spots.. I miss living there thought.. not a native RI, lived in prov about 10 years 92-02, followed a lot of developments over the years, used to save the pictures of the projects as they appeared in the projo....

still trying to navigate my way around this sight but its great. is there a collection of projects unfulfilled? i.e. the patriots football stadium?

No, that would be cool though, but a lot of work.  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I recall, sometime last year Brown hosted a show called "Unbuilt Providence", which was a collection of projects proposed for Providence throughout the ages, but never realized. There is an info page at http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/David_Wint...ry/unbuilt.html, which has some renderings, but it doesn't give a lot of detail. There may be a better site out there with more info on the projects, but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

--Ed.

The Box Lunch has opened a new location on Westminster next to the Arcade. They are based on the Cape, and this is their only off-Cape location. They make great sandwiches, and their location on Main Street in Hyannis is always packed in the summer. The Providence location is in walking distance of my office. :)

Not open today ( sign read tomarrow ) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad I didn't walk down there for lunch, I was too lazy and too tired. When I walked by this morning I hadn't had my coffee yet, so I didn't read any signs.

Heard from a reliable source that Dean & Deluca (of New York) will be the "groceria" at One Ten Westminster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would confirm the rumour that Duany was spreading last year.

That would be great if they came here. I'd like to think I helped (a month or so ago by writing and encouraging them to come downcity) :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good work! :thumbsup:

ProJo article about Providence Place: ProJo

This spring, new stores are replacing a number of older ones as General Growth shakes up the mall's lineup.

The twin Eddie Bauer stores, shuttered after Christmas, are giving way on the first floor to Ann Taylor Loft and a Sony store.

On the second floor, Perfume Plus drifted into the space left behind when Parade marched out.

Foot Action stepped into the Athlete's Foot space, also on the second floor.

Fashion-accessory store Bijou Bijou replaced Xccessoreez, which carried similar lines of bracelets and bangles.

Gourmet India is taking over a spot in the third-floor food court once held down by Spike's Junkyard Dogs .

Late last year, Smokey Bones jumped into the former Hops locale on restaurant row along Francis Street.

No word on an Apple Store, good news for Westminster????

The article also goes on to state that the Filene's/Lord & Taylor situation hasn't been settled yet. There's also a lot about how the mall has exceeded expectations, and gets more per square foot than suburban malls in the region.

Apple is still seeking a prime location in the mall.  They've vetoed Westminster over and over again.  Resume the letter writing campaigns!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Westminster isn't quite right for them, but it looks like they lost the Eddie Bauer first floor spot to Sony. Perhaps the retail spaces along Francis in the GTECH building would be a good fit, also there is supposed to be Francis Street retail in the new Westin Tower.

Although with OneTen Westminster and RISDs 15 West on the horizon, I really don't see what is wrong with Westminster, the old parking issue I assume.

I know a few of you have written to Apple about providence.. but I never heard if Apple made any interest they might have in a Providence location public. Have there been any announcements?!? if So.. I'll save my  $$ and buy a laptop when they come here :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They usually don't make any announcements about new stores until they sign leases. They dont make any sort of announcement that they are looking for a place in Providence for instance. Once they've found a place, they'll announce it.

Also I'd like to make a comment. I've got a filmmaker friend who lives in atlanta and kinda brags about how fast Atl is growing and how hot the music scene and economy is... So I saw the post about Sony getting a spot in PPlace Mall, and wHat I usually do is go to the company's website and check out where their other store locations are. Sony currently only has 17 STORES! NONE in atlanta. Mall of America and the King of Prussia mall in Pennsylvania ( The 2 biggest malls in our country as far as sales and # of stores go if I'm not mistaken) don't even have a sony store. Providence is Sony's only (opening soon) location. So i give HUGE kudos to whoever brought sony to Providence.. unless it was sony themselves :) It just made me really happy to notice that little fact of life. All we need now is Burberry, Luis Vuitton, French Connection, Von Dutch and the gays will be all set ;) LOL :rofl: JUST playin'. :wub: much <3 guys n gals

The Box Lunch has opened a new location on Westminster next to the Arcade. They are based on the Cape, and this is their only off-Cape location. They make great sandwiches, and their location on Main Street in Hyannis is always packed in the summer. The Providence location is in walking distance of my office.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ate at Box Lunch with the family today. Excellent wrap sandwiches and very good prices. Good selection of sodas and chips too. Very friendly service as well.

Definitely plan to go back soon.

Been twince. I agee with you and plus they are open on the weekend which is rare for downtown.

Ate at Box Lunch with the family today. Excellent wrap sandwiches and very good prices. Good selection of sodas and chips too. Very friendly service as well.

Definitely plan to go back soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New owner shake up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked what the story was when Eddie Bauer moved out. Turns out, leases are up. I guess we've hit the 4 or 5 year mark?

In E.B.'s case, I was told that E.B. wanted to close the home store, but keep the clothing store. The mall didn't want to divide the space, so out they went.

Speaking of... I'm not one for food court, but of all places did Latin Grill really have to leave? That was the one place there I actually enjoyed.

Ok... I'm done.

It appears the newer places downtown have hours on weekends like Quiznos & Cilantro and now Box Lunch.

Yesterday I went to Quiznos and noticed that someone strategically placed a brochure for Box Lunch amongst the chips.

I went to Box Lunch today which is pretty good, but I am wondering if downtown can support another sandwich place (although I imagine Box Lunch will be successful).

We could use a good burger place and a good pizza place downtown.

Maybe a few more places will stay open later and on weekends once the Peerless Building and 15 West open later this year.

Archived