Downtown Memphis

memphismike

Given the first 5 minutes of being in Memphis involved lots of razor wire, druggies, and passed out hookers in doorways along West Crump, I'd say that my attitude certainly disqualifies me for a job at the chamber of commerce or the CCC. Unfortunately, Memphis hasn't done much of anything to improve my attitude of it. The only thing I like about this place is my job and sometimes the food. Don't worry. Once I'm through having to pay child support, I'm out of this dump. Unfortunately, I know of too many other people who refer to it as a black hole because they've also made the mistake of moving here and now can't afford to move any further away than the outskirts.

I know too many current and former MCS teachers to know it's just not 'bad kids'. Whitestation does as well as it does because of location and the disproportionate amount of funding it recieves. I also didn't say "corporate relocation" either...many of the corps doing your hyped residential sections are still getting bigtime tax breaks. Peabody Place is just an extension of the Beale Street tourist trap. Nothing special there except for the big screen. One of the first things anyone usually asks me after I tell them I live downtown is "where the hell do you go to shop?". My ex-relatives have told me that the Southland Mall used to be a really great place. I've been there. It's not much better than the Mall of Memphis before it was torn down.

"the uniqueness of an authentic, urban setting, " :D that's damn funny considering that South Bluffs, the overpriced condos on S Front, Harbor Town, etc. are all different variations on cookie cutter development that is often sneered at if built in suburbia. The novelty will wear off. I hope the new residents like the smell when the wind comes from the south. I've also been to Overton park several times and have found nothing unique about it that would have justified not running the interstate through it. It's a disservice to anyone that has to use I-40 that it didn't go through the original route.

The people who seem to think Memphis is a great place need to get out of town and check out other places, preferably outside of the South. A friend of mine at work is a lifelong Memphis resident and he went to Denver a year or so ago for something with his church group. He came back somewhat depressed. Why? His answer: "I never realized how much of a dirty, scummy, rotten place this city is. Now I want to move, but can't. That sucks". Nashville and Memphis fighting over which one is better is like trying to decide which side of a cow pie is more pleasing to the senses. Nashville is better, but the entire exercise is still funny from an outsider's point of view.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stucinmfs: You seem to be an extremely bitter person. You also seem to be suffering from the grass is greener syndrome. I suggest you seek help.

As to Memphis, I think it is a nice town and I am not biased in any way as I am from FL. I also have liked Nashville when I have visited there. If I had to choose one place to live though, it would be Memphis, b/c I like the history, the architecture, the food and the river. Any place has positives and negatives though. There is no paradise on earth.

you obviously don't know how much we're trying not to be like atlanta. we've seen the problems that atlanta has faced and are attempting to not make the same ones. notice the insurgence of downtown residential development. even the plan of nashville was meant to combat the problems that atlanta faces. not that i'm bashing atlanta, it's a great city, it just has some problems with it's tremendous growth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you don't realize how much like Atlanta you've become. I'm not talking so much about the growth issues, traffic, etc. as I am about culture. When I lived there in the 1980's, the whole town was embarrassed to be associated with country music, Hee Haw, etc. It seems as though the '90s were all about flushing that image away and replacing it with a more "sophisticated" one. So, Music Row was boarded up, Opryland cleared away and replaced with a mall, more pretty towers go up and the NFL and NHL come to town. That's all great, but now without it's southern, honky tonk, country music, home-to-the-stars image, how is Nashville any different than Atlanta or any other fast-growing southern city?

There are those American cities that have very distinct, historic, original cultures (NY, Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans, San Antonio, Charleston, etc.). Everyone can identify with their food, music, architecture, accents, etc. Then, there are the cities that lack any real traditions distinct from regular pop culture. They're filled with sexy new skyscrapers, malls, suburbs and freeways but really don't look or feel or sound or smell that much different from each other. I'd put LA, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte and Orlando into that category. I'm afraid that Nashville belongs more in the second group than the first.

Unfortunately, I know of too many other people who refer to it as a black hole because they've also made the mistake of moving here and now can't afford to move any further away than the outskirts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we all know why they refer to it as a "black" hole. They probably also like to call it "Memfrica". There are enough native bigots here - we don't need more moving in from elsewhere.

"the uniqueness of an authentic, urban setting, "  :D that's damn funny considering that South Bluffs, the overpriced condos on S Front, Harbor Town, etc. are all different variations on cookie cutter development that is often sneered at if built in suburbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a number of architectural and city planning publications/organizations that would beg to differ with you about Harbor Town or South Bluffs. If they were simply clones of suburbia I can't imagine why they would have heralded these developments as model communities. And you're conveniently forgetting hundreds of old commercial buildings converted to loft apartments, or how about the Exchange Building, Claridge House, 10 N. Main, Porter Building, Shrine Building, and soon to come, the Lincoln American Tower and Goodwyn Institute Building. Where do you find anything like those in suburbia?

I've also been to Overton park several times and have found nothing unique about it that would have justified not running the interstate through it. It's a disservice to anyone that has to use I-40 that it didn't go through the original route.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm by no means a tree hugger, but I can't believe anyone really believes Memphis would be better off if one of its largest and most popular parks, the home of it's zoo and a place where generations of people have grown up, would have been paved over.

The people who seem to think Memphis is a great place need to get out of town and check out other places, preferably outside of the South.  A friend of mine at work is a lifelong Memphis resident and he went to Denver a year or so ago for something with his church group.  He came back somewhat depressed.  Why?  His answer: "I never realized how much of a dirty, scummy, rotten place this city is.  Now I want to move, but can't.  That sucks". 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to most of the major cities in the US as well as a few in Europe. The problems you are harping on exist in every single one of them to some degree or another. In some respects, I have found that Memphis compares very favorably to others...at least based on what I value in a city. Admittedly, some of that is hometown bias BUT I did move away and come back by choice. And, for every person like you who has moved here and hated it, I've met two or three that are glad they came. So please don't assume your experience is universal. It sounds to me like other aspects of your life have been so unhappy while you've lived here that your opinion of the city is somewhat jaded.

First of all, I was referring the gravity well type of black hole, but leave it to a Memphian to make it a racial jab. That's probably the single most disgusting thing about this city. No matter what issue, some joker is going to turn it into a racial problem. Hell, there are already grumblings from city politicians not approving of downtown's racial mix. Whether they really intend to do something about it, or if it's code that Belz, Turley, & company are late with their campaign contributions and need to write a check, I don't know. It's twisted and sick either way.

Accepting rotten behavior or conditions as normal is another strange thing about this area. All places suck, some a lot more than others, but there's no reason to deny reality. If this city is in the top-10 of something, it's usually something bad. Attitudes range from "oh, well, that's Memphis for ya" to "oh, yeah, at least we're better than 'insert some other crappy city here'." The posting of the crime ratings is an example of that. The best was when the Flyer tried to put a positive spin on the murder patterns a few years ago. Irrational attachment to things that just aren't that special boggles me too. I'm sorry. The zoo isn't that great. You'd think it was the San Diego or Omaha zoo the way it's hyped. It would have been better off moved and 40 continuing on a logical route. (Think of all the gallons of fuel that have been wasted because of the traffic jams it has caused.) Beale St is essentially a big multi-building open air bar on the weekends. Yippee skippy. The "it's got lots of character or charm" quotes sound just as hollow as saying "she's got a great personality" when referring to some fat ugly woman. I can't imagine how any of those properties supposedly won their design awards. It must have been a short list.

My co-workers, acquaintances and I probably fall into the professional category (young is up for debate :) ) that the city supposedly wants to attract. Most don't seem to be especially happy to be here. Some loathe it, some are indifferent, stuck here for various reasons and will jump at the chance to go elsewhere. One has even said that the only reasons anyone moves to Memphis are: they are originally from here, they have family that live here, or they are insane (both of us were nailed by #2). That's not to say that Memphis wasn't ever a beautiful city. From descriptions and pictures from my ex's grandparents, and the view while riding on MATA across town, it's clear that it used to be a great place to live, but it is just going to hell. For every building downtown that may be restored, I see lots of others that are rotting away or just a set of steps going up to an empty lot. That is sad. Only 13 years of usage for something like the Pyramid is pathetic.

But hey, don't expect anyone to accept it. I was googling for something else, spotted the post about how Wolfchase was "a part of core Memphis" and just had to respond. LOL! This is the same mall that some people were trying to boycott because it was killing Memphis retail. Until it got annexed. Then it was A-OK. Typical "hate the county, hate the county, boom, this area is OK now we have the taxes" behavior. Too bad the tiny town law didn't stick. The results would have been hilarious. Oh well, back to the regularly scheduled Memphis Kool-Aid party.

I did not realize that music Row was boarded up? Hmmmm I guess my friends in the music business better look for other jobs. Its odd, though with all of the new construction in the music row area and several new music lables moving here.

does that mean they're getting rid of the roundabout with the nude statues? The spot where the Memphis Belle used to sit is still empty. We can put it there. :lol:

First of all, I was referring the gravity well type of black hole, but leave it to a Memphian to make it a racial jab. That's probably the single most disgusting thing about this city.  No matter what issue, some joker is going to turn it into a racial problem.  Hell, there are already grumblings from city politicians not approving of downtown's racial mix. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ironically, I am white, so I would have no motive to "play the race card" in the manner you are suggesting. But I do know that many people (native and non-native Memphians) use various other compliants about Memphis to cover up the fact that they don't like being around its large black population. That is what is truly disgusting.

Accepting rotten behavior or conditions as normal is another strange thing about this area.  All places suck, some a lot more than others, but there's no reason to deny reality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever read any of the city's newspapers? Watched any of the TV news or listened to talk radio? You make it sound as Memphis has the enormous marketing spin-machine that covers up all the negatives. An overblown self-image is definitely NOT one of Memphis' problems. I've never seen or heard of a community that spends more time airing out its dirty laundry. But, apparently, that's not enough for you.

You obviously don't work in marketing, do you? Any organization has to promote itself by emphasizing its strengths and minimizing its weaknesses. There are plenty of people here (successfully or unsuccessfully) trying to deal with Memphis' numerous problems. There is nothing "strange" about a city marketing its strengths. Same goes for its citizens. That is called civic pride.

My co-workers, acquaintances and I probably fall into the professional category (young is up for debate :) ) that the city supposedly wants to attract.  Most don't seem to be especially happy to be here.  Some loathe it, some are indifferent, stuck here for various reasons and will jump at the chance to go elsewhere.  One has even said that the only reasons anyone moves to Memphis are: they are originally from here, they have family that live here, or they are insane (both of us were nailed by #2).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Birds of the same feather flock together. I can say that if I encountered someone, professionally or socially, that had such an irrationally bitter attitude toward my city, I would be spending as little time with them as possible.

Meanwhile, most of my friends, coworkers, and social acquaintances accept both the good and bad about Memphis but, in general, like it here. These are young professionals ranging from 22 to 40. Almost all are not native Memphians, or left here for some time and came back. The funny thing about folks with your attitude is that, dispite all the things they see wrong with Memphis, they don't lift a finger to make things better...don't get involved in any kind of service organization, ministries, school board, politics, anything. Have you done anything to help make things better? Even tried?

I think forums like these are good for learning about what people do and do not like about Memphis. Some of the issues you raise are valid and well-documented, but you do so in a way that is sarcastic, hateful, and completely unconstructive.

I did not realize that music Row was boarded up? Hmmmm I guess my friends in the music business better look for other jobs. Its odd, though with all of the new construction in the music row area and several new music lables moving here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps the reports of its demise were greatly exaggerated. I remember seeing reports 5 or so years ago that the tourist attractions in the area had closed and that many of the record labels had gone bust. Sounds like it may be on the rebound.

The point was that Nashville's civic leaders seemed to make a concerted effort to de-emphasize its country music image and become a more "sophisticated" southern city in the image of Atlanta. I'm not saying that was all bad, but perhaps some of Nashville's distinctiveness was lost in the process.

Fan Fair was bigger this year than ever before (I think). I think this shows Nashville is still the center for Country music. I do kind of like the sophisticated image the city puts out, though. I think these two things give us a balance.

About Memphis... I'd love to live there. It's becoming a rap center (sort of like Atlanta), so I'd say a lot of people should have civic pride. I know I'd be proud of that, and I don't particularly like rap. Maybe everyone just needs to put on a Memphis Grizzlies jersey and celebrate Memphis.

First of all, the research institution I work for cannot process the applications fast enough for professionals trying to relocate to Memphis. Yes the city has a lot of bad things that it needs to overcome, and that is the goal. Memphis has one of the most efficient run governments, a marvelous infrastructure for the logistics and research industries, and housing that is very affordable. Many don't know this either, but Memphis (and Nashville) is one of the least taxed communities in the nation. As for the zoo, you obviously haven't been to many. I have, and Memphis isn't the best, but it is up there. How else do you explain the Memphis Zoo having one of the only panda exhibits in America. Why don't you put your time and your money where your mouth is and solve some of these problems that have you so irritated (stuckinmfs). Pay your child support and leave. 13 years of continuous use at the Pyramid equals about $5 million a year, I think that is an acceptable price seeing as how we now have one of the best arenas in the nation now. While attending college out of town, everyone that I met was entrigued with the soul and atmosphere of Memphis and as I travel I still get the same responses.

Archived