Woonsocket

Well, I explored Providence and vicinity this afternoon. I'm looking for a single family home around $200,000. I really like what I saw!  nice area. Thanks everybody.

Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really wish I could still reccomend my neighborhood (West End) for cheap living, but alas it is getting very expensive very fast. There was an open house yesterday for the condo's right behind us and I walked over to take a look. It was a real derelict house that they spruced up, but everything was done as cheaply as humanly possible. Off the shelf cabinets from HomeDepot, junky off the shelf laminate counters, wallpaper to hide lousy plaster... It was pretty damn crummy and they are still asking $192k per unit for 800sqft on Dexter, 3 houses down from Cranston St. They had 3 under contract and it seems like there were a lot of people coming through just happy they could find something for under $200k.

Pawtucket is definitely a good idea, but jump quick! I dont see it lasting much longer. I havent seen Jasons house in person, but from the picture and how he describes it, I cant beleive it was only $225k. Great deal. If you do want to live in Providence proper, about your only real viable options are a condo or a multifamily house. The multi's are getting real pricey, but you still might be able to make the numbers work on one, as rent is pretty high too. They are currently building a pretty half assed duplex on the Hammond Street and are looking for $399k. Ouch.

Liam

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats great !  It Looks like your really putting in some time and learning about the various great neighborhoods that Providence and vicinity have to offer.

I live right behind Lukes records on Broadway in Pawtucket.  its pretty cool... very working class.  no-one bothers us at all..  you hear the occasional booming system from a car once in awhile but i think that you hear that anywhere.

Its funny...  our budget was also 225000 at the high end and thats what we ended up spending on our single family.  there is a single family next to us that will be going up for sale in the next few weeks.  I understand and its pretty nice.. 2 car garage bungalow type place. If your looking around that area our house is 9 daniels st and the house i mention is the yellow single right next to ours. -Jason

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot, Jason. I very much liked what I saw of Pawtucket. Are there any areas I should stay away from? My situation is dependent on how much I can sell my condo in Westborough for. I'm pretty confident I can get $200,000 for it. Take it easy.

Tom

I really wish I could still reccomend my neighborhood (West End) for cheap living, but alas it is getting very expensive very fast. There was an open house yesterday for the condo's right behind us and I walked over to take a look. It was a real derelict house that they spruced up, but everything was done as cheaply as humanly possible. Off the shelf cabinets from HomeDepot, junky off the shelf laminate counters, wallpaper to hide lousy plaster... It was pretty damn crummy and they are still asking $192k per unit for 800sqft on Dexter, 3 houses down from Cranston St. They had 3 under contract and it seems like there were a lot of people coming through just happy they could find something for under $200k.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't you love the homemade condo conversions?

I know what you're talking about with the condos on Dexter...playing off the park address, but the units are pretty damn crappy. They have been going slow, on the market for at least 6 months now, and relisted with 2 different brokers. Now I know why...

Did you see the Octagon House condos? Those were pretty cool and went for 10k less and you're in a truly landmark house!

Archived