Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunshine

Thong Ban Passed In Melbourne

Wearing thongs to Melbourne's beach, local parks or out on the street could cost you $500 and perhaps jail time.

Tuesday night, the Melbourne City Council voted unanimously to stop the super-skimpy swimwear amid a series of new adult entertainment regulations. Brevard County has banned thongs since 1995.

Melbourne council members also slashed the city's adult entertainment zone from 937 acres to 40 acres along North Drive.

During the meeting, a small contingent from the American Association for Nude Recreation in Kissimmee unsuccessfully lobbied council members to delay any nudity decisions, Local 6 News partner Florida Today reported.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thong is also banned in Daytona Beach.

Do you think it should be banned?

Melbourne gets behind thong swimwear ban

City shrinks area for adult district

BY RICK NEALE

FLORIDA TODAY

MELBOURNE -- Wearing thongs to Melbourne's beach, local parks or out on the street could cost you $500 and perhaps jail time.

Tuesday night, the Melbourne City Council unanimously outlawed super-skimpy swimwear amid a series of new adult entertainment regulations.

The legislation established the "Melbourne Public Nudity Code" and added sweeping restrictions on adult establishments, such as exotic clubs and bookstores.

During the meeting, a small contingent from the American Association for Nude Recreation in Kissimmee unsuccessfully lobbied council members to delay any nudity decisions.

Patricia Orner, a grandmother of eight, said the code unfairly punishes those who enjoy nude sunbathing and "an occasional innocent skinny-dipping in remote areas."

Michael Kahn, the lawyer who drafted Melbourne's revised adult laws, said the city has no areas zoned for social nakedness.

He said the City Council could create such an area if it chooses, regardless of Tuesday's vote.

Mayor Harry Goode said the thong regulations conform with Brevard County law, a rarely enforced mandate established in 1995.

So no cheeks in public, but it's OK to wear thongs on your private property.

The city's adult entertainment zone was also slashed, from 937 acres to about 40 acres. Melbourne's new adult district lies along North Drive.

Councilwoman Cheryl Palmer welcomed the change.

"There are even daycare centers in our present adult entertainment area," Palmer said.

Contact Neale at 242-3638

Don't know what you're talking about -- skies are bright blue where I live...  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol theres a Bush in DC and TallahassEE :whistling:

they go through this every couple of years up there in central florida. why? I don't know. Likely trying to keep the family atmosphere of the beaches so they don't turn into another miami. It's all old people anyway. The thong is rarely seen, and the laws are rarely enforced.

Playa Linda is north of Melbourne right I know both are in Brevard, is Playa Linda still a semi nude or nude beach or did they shut that down?

Daytona did scare away Spring Break to focus on the family visitors.

Playalinda is a part of Canaveral National Seashore. You can access it just north of Titusville. Last I heard you could still do clothing optional but people were fighting it. You can access the northern part of the seashore coming south from New Smyrna. I surfed there a few times when I lived there, and it was very naked at the time. My clothes stayed on however.

^^ would be interesting how closely they inspected you. As mentioned above a law is only good if its enforceable this one just seems like a drain on the police.

If I row up my speedo to make it look like thong, would I still be considered wearing thong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are butt cheeks obscene if both males and females have them, and if they are not considered sex organs? Have never understood this. If politicians have enough time to worry about passing laws like this, they better go back to counting chads instead.