Slum clearing in Sao Paulo

marcelo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this housing replace the favelas, or just relocate people to a place with urban services?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there is a favela in a not so valuated ground, they are just replaced by such buildings. If the favela is on expensive ground, the ppl are settled around with all infrastructure. :blink:

That is a neat project in Sao Paulo! Also, do you know the actual current population of the city? That is something that I would like to know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The actual population of the city proper is 11,289,000 ppl, Graeter Sao Paulo is 19,577,000, Complexo Metropolitano Expandido (on an area of about 42,000 km

I like how SP names their buildings after exotic towns around the world.  Any HP named for Pittsburgh? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know whether there is a building called Pittsburgh, but a there is a street named after Pittsburgh.

We have city neighborhoods with NA names:

Jardim Los Angeles, Brooklin Novo, Brooklin Paulista (yes with I not with Y...;-) ), Ch

• 2 months later...

Gee, those low-income housing buildings would be a boom to SF's comparatively small 15,000 homeless; it could use a few of those. For Sao Paulo, nice-looking redevelopment to the city.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a problem with your assumption. The slum dwellers in Sao Paulo weren't homeless, only their "houses" weren't much more than tin shacks with unsanitary living conditions. The homeless people are well, homeless, and the vast majoirty of them are where they are for entirely different reasons than the those in the shanty towns of developing countries.

There is a problem with your assumption. The slum dwellers in Sao Paulo weren't homeless, only their "houses" weren't much more than tin shacks with unsanitary living conditions. The homeless people are well, homeless, and the vast majoirty of them are  where they are for entirely different reasons than the those in the shanty towns of developing countries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, S

• 2 weeks later...

Sao Paulo seems to be doing something to help its shanty town residents.  How come Rio doesn't do anything about it's enourmous favelas that are all over the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not true Rio has the favela bairro projets. Many of the favelas of Rio were improved a lot. Rocinha is one example of a favela with schools, health service, post offices etc. But many of Rio's slums are held by the drug lords, thus the city admin has no means to take control of them. Unfortunately, it isn't so easy with a favela climbing up a steep mountain... In S

• 2 months later...

DAMN!!.......theyfinally help out the poor (its seems) instead of bulldozing them out of the area........this project looks good and actually is a nice change for Sao Paulo super highrise nature....add some trees in there and it'll be even better.......however with Rio....I would be against even attempting to build anything like this......Rio has the hills and if they could ever do some real renovations and improvements those hillsides could have San Francisco city view value and promise......of course that becomes doublespeak for gentrification.....but still the favelas in Rio need improvement and not bulldozers

DAMN!!.......theyfinally help out the poor (its seems) instead of bulldozing them out of the area........this project looks good and actually is a nice change for Sao Paulo super highrise nature....add some trees in there and it'll be even better.......however with Rio....I would be against even attempting to build anything like this......Rio has the hills and if they could ever do some real renovations and improvements those hillsides could have San Francisco city view value and promise......of course that becomes doublespeak for gentrification.....but still the favelas in Rio need improvement and not bulldozers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There actually is the favela-bairro project, improving infrastructure and housing inside the favelas instead of knocking them down. I agree with you!

• 6 months later...

Archived