Job Interview in Fort Lauderdale

ElGobernador

Good morning forum,

I recently had an interview for a job in Fort Lauderdale and have been invited down for a visit. I need info from anyone who knows anything about the city/area. What's it like? Is it expensive to live there? etc. etc.

Just so you know a little more about me to gauge what might fit my interests--I have a wife and young daughter and I'm a devout Christian. So a kinda 'traditional' family--sorta. We're an interracial family, but I don't think that should be much of a problem in that area.

My wife and I like stuff like museums (especially for the little girl) and sporting events. Then of course there's the beach, and also great restaurants. Do they serve sweet tea in that area? Is there a great aquarium in that area? What is the typical rent for a good 2 bedroom apartment? How often would we have to "go to Miami" to do something?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy to help! I live in Boca Raton, which is about 30 minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale. But I'm pretty familiar with the downtown and surrounding area.

What's it like?  Is it expensive to live there?
It's more expensive in South Florida than other places, but it's not as bad as New York or San Fransisco, from what I've heard. Ft Laud is a fun place, with lots of culture and sunshine!

Just so you know a little more about me to gauge what might fit my interests--I have a wife and young daughter and I'm a devout Christian.  So a kinda 'traditional' family--sorta.

There's great churches in the area! I'm familiar with First Baptist Church (www.fbcnet.com and they have an awesome music department that puts on a renowned Christmas Pageant every year. There's also Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterian and many more, but I haven't been to them.

My wife and I like stuff like museums (especially for the little girl) and sporting events.  Then of course there's the beach, and also great restaurants.  Do they serve sweet tea in that area?  Is there a great aquarium in that area?  What is the typical rent for a good 2 bedroom apartment?  How often would we have to "go to Miami" to do something?

As far as culture goes, there's a really nice art museum, science museum/IMAX theatre, amphitheatre, performing arts center, and cinema all located downtown! Plus alot of park space for the little girl, lol. There's plenty to do!

Where sports are concerned, the Florida Panthers play hockey out in the suburbs at the Office Depot Center (but I had heard that they were on strike) But there's also other minor sports around town, and the Swimming Hall of Fame.

It's funny that you should ask about sweet tea. We're from "the south" and when my mom ordered sweet tea down here, they brought out a hot pot and mug. You have to order "iced tea" to get it southern style, lol.

I don't know if there's an aquarium, but there's plenty of nice zoos and waterfront places.

I don't know about Broward's rent prices, but here in Palm Beach County, a 3 bedroom apt. went for $1200 a month.

:D Hope that helps!

I don't have much to add that UL didn't touch on. Broward is the more "family"oriented part of South Florida. Depending on where you live, you'll find that "going to miami" isn't such a big deal. We're a spread out metro with a lot of interaction between the three counties. That being said, Ft. Lauderdale/Broward county is very much it's own area, and I'm sure you'll find almost everything you need there.

Hollywood is still pretty cheap and conventient to just about everything.

There's the Miami Sequarium down in Miami.

The Beaches are great and there's never a lack of great places to eat in South Florida.

We have all kinds of colors down here. Being an interacial couple is one of the last things I'd worry about.

As a big fan of it myself, the Sweet Tea is hit and miss down here. Even in the same chain, some places have it and others don't. I do find it's more prevalent in Broward than in Miami though.

Archived