Where does NC fit

blueize74

Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who Cares

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typically we are grouped with the South.  I would say 90% of the time. But if you say deep south then no we are not Deep South.    Peep the Farmers Almanac weather forecasts; they say north carolina is considered south and the Farmers would know best right?

South for Sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as weather goes, NC typically borders on snow lines, keeping climate mild compared to say a Maryland but would definitely not be anything like FL or MS winter. As far as demographics, terrain, scholarship (read universities) and attitude - I would include NC in the more northern group.

**Speaking of scholarship, Raleigh is tied with Seattle for most adults with a bachelor's degree or higher at 48%

NC is southern, no debate about it, and so is Virginia.  It may not be Deep South, but neither is most of the Southern region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say that all of NC is Southern, no doubt. I would also call Virginia below Fredricksburg a part of the South as well. Exactly what "southern" means is a nebulous concept that's harder to define than to ... feel. Undoubtedly, many southern cities lack the easy-goingness and drawl of the stereotypical south, and there also tend to be a lot of northern transplants these days, but there's just something in the air... in the way we think, the way we eat, the way politicians speak... that lets you know you're in the south.

In one class here at NC State, the teacher asked us how we define what is "southern." After some discussion, she handed out copies of an article, where the author had compiled a number of maps of various things in an attempt to define what "southern" is. These maps showed things like the predominance of southern baptism, weather, ethnic background, secession from the union in the civil war - all sorts of things that one might associate with the South, but none of them quite seemed to fit. But the last map the author had found fit perfectly: it included everything from the southern half of VA to northern Florida, west to Arkansas. The mystery map that so effectively defined the south was:

(wait for it)

The range of Kudzu in North America. Crazy, huh?

I'd say that all of NC is Southern, no doubt. I would also call Virginia below Fredricksburg a part of the South as well. Exactly what "southern" means is a nebulous concept that's harder to define than to ... feel. Undoubtedly, many southern cities lack the easy-goingness and drawl of the stereotypical south, and there also tend to be a lot of northern transplants these days, but there's just something in the air... in the way we think, the way we eat, the way politicians speak... that lets you know you're in the south.

In one class here at NC State, the teacher asked us how we define what is "southern." After some discussion, she handed out copies of an article, where the author had compiled a number of maps of various things in an attempt to define what "southern" is. These maps showed things like the predominance of southern baptism, weather, ethnic background, secession from the union in the civil war - all sorts of things that one might associate with the South, but none of them quite seemed to fit. But the last map the author had found fit perfectly: it included everything from the southern half of VA to northern Florida, west to Arkansas. The mystery map that so effectively defined the south was:

(wait for it)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't try to define parts of the country by stereotyping large regions, by culture. I just stick to geographical location and leave it at that.

Before "Verizon" the local phone company was called BellAtlantic as in the mid-Atlantic region not BellSouth, so there are some points for both mid-atlantic and south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But in North Carolina (At least Asheville, where I was) the "bell" wireless provider was BellSouth Mobility DCS. The landline phone service provider was, at first, Southern Bell, and is now BellSouth across the state.

Interesting - Kudzu actually was imported to the South from Asia in the 1920's to control soil erosion and fifty years later was declared a weed by the US Dept of Ag.

(wait for it)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

North Carolina is southern all the way. We talk southern, we cook southern, we act southern. Go Southern!! It is relative decision however. If one looks historically, we are southern by virtue of the Mason Dixon line. Geographically, we are at the top of the geographical cental longitudal line which would put Virginia in a nebulous situation. Anyway, I hope we are all proud of where we are from.

North Carolina is well below the Sweet Tea Line, and is therefore unquestionably a southern state. The Sweet Tea line, as close as I can tell, falls just south of Charlottesville VA. That might be a good poll... Is your city above or below the Sweet Tea Line... For those of you who are unfamiliar with this southern institution, EVERY (with very few exceptions) restaurant in the south serves tea sweetened and sometimes offers an unsweetened option (to be hospitable to our northern guests).

The grit line is also useful. Grits can be purchased well into Indiana, Illinois, and other northern states. I lived in Columbus, Ohio for a few years. I had no trouble getting grits and my southern accent didn't draw particular attention. Many people in Columbus also have southern accents. Doesn't really mean that they are southern only that the southern culture is present above the "Mason/Dixon" line.

NC is definatly a southern state with its " cary " cities allover the state, especially Cary/Raleigh and Charlotte. Virginia is a state to debate on whether its the south or not due to a vast majority of Northern Virginia being mostly northerners as well as Richmond and Hampton Roads.

Cary acroynum stands for " Centralized Area [for] Relocated Yankees "

Archived