Where does NC fit

blueize74

Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who Cares

On second thought how could one Carolina be in one region and the other Carolina be another.  The Dakotas and Virginias aren't considered in different regions are they?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I often ask myself that. But like the other reply said, the Virginias aren't always in the same boat.

As a matter of fact, some people might consider WV and VA to be at opposite ends of the spectrum! Before the civil war, there was only one state - Virginia, but During the civil war, Virginia seceded, with Richmond becoming the capital of the confederacy, while the region we now call West Virginia remained with the union throughout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that Virginia suceeded, and then West Virginia receeded or whatever back to the US?

Funny question. :lol:  I guess when you put 'North' in front of Carolina, some people forget that it was once part of a Southern colony.  All you have to do if you're unsure is to take a vacation into the western NC mountains for a while. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People also forget that NC used to be a part of SC, with Charleston as the capital. North Carolinians didn't like going to Charleston (which wasn't the least bit convenient) so they got the Lords Proprietors to create a new colony. At least I think thats how it went. I'm not an NC history buff at all :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the Fayettville, Wilmington, Jacksonville area is deepsouth, Florida definetly is not deepsouth for much of the state south of I-4 (speaking demographically). There is no mileage limit on the "deep south". I like that tea line, grit line idea.

To me the Fayettville, Wilmington, Jacksonville area is deepsouth, Florida definetly is not deepsouth for much of the state south of I-4 (speaking demographically).  There is no mileage limit on the "deep south".  I like that tea line, grit line idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strangely enough, I have friends in Miami that are 'Florida Crackers' (families moved to Fla. generations ago) that have a somewhat southern accent and consider themselves totally southern and are offended if mistakened as a transplant. I bring this up as there have been threads saying that Miami is a northern city??

I often ask myself that. But like the other reply said, the Virginias aren't always in the same boat.

I thought that Virginia suceeded, and then West Virginia receeded or whatever back to the US?

People also forget that NC used to be a part of SC, with Charleston as the capital. North Carolinians didn't like going to Charleston (which wasn't the least bit convenient) so they got the Lords Proprietors to create a new colony. At least I think thats how it went. I'm not an NC history buff at all :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to burst your bubble spartan, but Charleston wasn't even in existence when North carolina was formed. North Carolina was formed in 1653. Charles Town was founded in 1670. North Carolinians had their capital in New Bern.

thanks randy1... I was floored by that post, and was certain that my elementary school NC history ciriculum would have covered that. I didn't have the dates to to reply confidently...

That is a pretty elaborate story though Spartan... where do you think you heard it?... could it have been another state?... Georgia maybe? Maybe that is the way they teach it in those fine SC schools... :whistling:

I preface my comment by saying I am a native to san diego and speak only from an outsiders perspective. I am relocating to NC and my grandfather was born in NC for what its worth :P

I have aways looked upon NC to be a part of the MId Atlantic Region.

In the category. I would view the coastal region, particulary the Outer Banks region as belonging to the MID Atlantic region. A quick scan across the web has sites listing NC definately in this group:

http://midatlantic.rootsweb.com/

"This site is dedicated to the genealogy, history and culture of the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States. By our definition this region is made up of the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and the District of Columbia."

Even the THE 2005 MID-ATLANTIC BOAT SHOW is located in Charlotte, as is the MID ATLANTIC STEEL GUITAR ASSOCIATION and numerous other 'Mid Atlantic' societies like:

The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council

states.gif

Mid-Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin Catalog

The Mid-Atlantic Sea GRant encompasses "The Mid-Atlantic region is a gateway to the five Sea Grant programs in the coastal and near-coastal waters between New Jersey and North Carolina"

Anything revolving around the weather includes NC in the MID ATLANTIC term.

I consider anything below NC to be The SOUTHEAST. I think the most prudent way to approach this question is to ask:

Would you say North Carolina is located in the SOUTHEAST?

My .02

This brings up a good point, and one that I think makes this question so fun to debate. To me, a native NCarolinian, I feel very attached to a Southern heritage, and feel that many fellow NCarolinians would agree. What is interesting to me, is the fact that NC is changing and seems to be headed in a very different direction than many of the traditional southern states. NC's economy is growing and its demographic is changing. In that respect, I think that an agrument could be made that NC is more Mid Atlantic, even culturally, than most of the southern states...

Hello Fellow Posters,

I'm new to this forum,I've occasionally posted over @ SSP.com...but I think I found my home here. I would like to throw my 2 cents in regarding if NC was considered a Mid Atlantic State or a Southern State.I personally considered NC to be a Mid-Atlantic State, I think these states make up the Mid-Atlantic Region: NJ,PA,DE,WV,VA, NC, and the District Of Columbia.

OUTLAND...... thanks for the Websites, there are many, many more organizations & websites that also consider NC to be Mid-Atlantic. Trust me, this is clearly because of it's geographical location. As for culture, I would say outside of NC's major cities you will find more of the Southern Charm that NC was known for in the past(hence the word "past"). I'm from NY,and I think NYstate should be placed in the Northeast region instead of Mid-Atlantic, it totally doesn't belong there.

Just so I don't ruffle any feathers "too much", I go as far as to say that NC much like MD, and VA can be considered Mid-Atlantic /Southern.

I also noticed that a poster brought up the phone companies ( Verizon, Bell South) I guess to showthat maybe the phone companies define regions( don't know) , well i heard talk that Verizon was working on getting local service in th NC market to compete with Bell South. And if my memory serves me correctly, Verizon already has pay phone service in certain parts on NC, again if i'm wrong I stand corrected. :)

You are correct in that Verizon has pay phones in NC, I have seen many of them and they really caught my eye because it's not something I had been used to seeing.

Geographically NC is certainly mid-atlantic. Our cities have similar demographics to mid-atlantic cities. Additionally NC has a similar progressive attitude regarding state-wide rail travel (NC has more than usual in some cases), and our weather is more characteristic of a mid-atlantic climate. Our latitude places us on the southern end of the "middle" of the Atlantic coast. Objectively speaking, NC is mid-atlantic in nearly every physical way.

Culturally NC is southern--just listen to the accents in the rural areas as well as from some of the natives in the cities. Nobody is ashamed of it or attempts to hide it. South is south and there's nothing wrong with it. There are blurred lines everywhere, but the majority of NC's culture is more like that of VA. This stands to reason historically since NC was originally settled/colonized by VA (largely anyway).

This brings up a good point, and one that I think makes this question so fun to debate.  To me, a native NCarolinian, I feel very attached to a Southern heritage, and feel that many fellow NCarolinians would agree.  What is interesting to me, is the fact that NC is changing and seems to be headed in a very different direction than many of the traditional southern states.  NC's economy is growing and its demographic is changing.  In that respect, I think that an agrument could be made that NC is more Mid Atlantic, even culturally, than most of the southern states...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archi, N.C., S.C., Ga, Fla., Ala., Tenn., and Texas are are are all booming. That doesn't make all these states Mid Atlantic like. As far as culturally, I am satisfied with my culture and don't want to be anything else. I like to think that the south is going well beyond the Mid Atlantic states. What are we looking at? Baltimore, Camden, Philadelphia, Wilmington, De. No thank you. I want to stay southeastern. Baltimore and Philadelphia have had their days, lets have ours.

NorffCarolina....

Thanks for the confirmation on Verizon, because i thought It was strange too. But my cousin also confirmed that(Verizon Employee :) ). I mean it's so funny, in certain parts of NC you can reach the majority of the major cities in the Northeastern Corridor within 4-8hrs(I know this for a fact, because I've done it).

This is why I think that NC is definitely a Mid-Atlantic state. What I've also noticed in my travels to and through NC, is that when it comes to visiting "Big Cities" outside of the state(ie:D.C., Atlanta) People that live in the Charlotte Metro area seem to head to Atlanta. NC residents who live in the Northern or Central part of the state head to Washington, D.C.

Again this is just what I've come across when I've asked people in Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, and Greensboro. My sister went to NC Central, and alot of the kids that went to school there were from the Mid-Atlantic states, and they would go to D.C. every weekend to hang out because it was only like 3 1/2 hours from

school. :)

I flew to Philadelphia from Raleigh and total flight time had to be less than 50 minutes. Hell, it takes longer to fly to Atlanta! That stands to reason of course since Raleigh is actually closer to Phila than it is to Atlanta (though not by a huge margin).

We drove from Philadelphia back to Raleigh in 6 hours, despite the snow, a few bathroom breaks, and a lunch stop. What's nice about the trip is that the only really boring part is the stretch of I-85 from south of Petersburg to the US1 interchange just inside the NC state line. Other than that you seem to hit a steady line of large metropolitan areas.

Almost the entire trip through northern VA and MD is not only chock full of development, but the landscape is absolutely beautiful (especially in the snow). Hard to believe that such varied geography exists only a stone's throw from the Bay. And once you pass Wilmington and get closer to NJ and Philly, the stink from the refineries makes the trip even more interesting! :D

I wish that I-95 had been routed through Raleigh, but some silly decisions were made back in the day I guess. Raleigh/Durham (and Greensboro to an extent) are a part of the great mid-atlantic corridor, especially in terms of passenger rail. I can't wait for high speed rail to be completed from Union Station in DC down through NC's metros. I think the second environmental study has been passed for the Petersburg/Raleigh leg.

I wish that I-95 had been routed through Raleigh, but some silly decisions were made back in the day I guess. Raleigh/Durham (and Greensboro to an extent) are a part of the great mid-Atlantic corridor, especially in terms of passenger rail. I can't wait for high speed rail to be completed from Union Station in DC down through NC's metros. I think the second environmental study has been passed for the Petersburg/Raleigh leg.

NorffCarolina,

I've always wondered was Raleigh that far away from I-95, that they couldn't make like a connector to I-95 (i.e.:295 or 495) or something.....because once you come out of Richmond-Petersburg, I-95 is dead. :( Hmmmm... Do you think that something that could be looked at for the state? I mean it will definitely boost tourism travel to Raleigh.

just my thoughts......... :)

This is why I think that NC is definitely a Mid-Atlantic state. What I've also noticed in my travels to and through NC, is that when it comes to visiting "Big Cities" outside of the state(ie:D.C., Atlanta) People that live in the Charlotte Metro area seem to head to Atlanta. NC residents who live in the Northern or Central part of the state head to Washington, D.C.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well actually I live in Charlotte and always go to DC, Philly, or other points North for a quicky vacation. I haven't been to Atlanta in more than ten years as it doesn't offer anything you can't get here. When the highspeed train is built from Charlotte to DC, it will be even easier.

Archived