Where does NC fit

blueize74

Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who Cares

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would consider NC to be a southern state both culturally and geographically speaking. In my eyes I see Anything north of southern Virginia, through Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, southern New Jersey, and southern Pennsylvania to be    Mid Atlantic.

How can people say that North Carolina could be considered mid atlantic geographically, but Tennessee still southern?? NC is no more north geographically than TN.

I hope you don't take this as me trying to argue, just saying what I think

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NC GUY,

NC can very much be considered Mid-Atlantic.. as I wrote in a previous reply, I've heard and actually seen signs in Tennessee that say"Mid-South". You say that NC is no more northern than Tennessee this is true, but the difference there is, NC borders the Atlantic Ocean. So if Tennessee can be called Mid-South, why can't NC be called Mid-Atlantic? Also how can you split a northern part of a state (VA), and call it Mid-Atlantic and southern(VA) is Southern? As I said before the more the state progressively grows(developers have turned northward for ideas about housing, transit etc..) people will start to change their views about the "cultural" side of the state. But geograpically....I'm sorry it's Mid-Atlantic in my opinion. Even in the business world NC is considered by many to be in the Mid-Atlantic region...I say this because,and correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Dell name NC (Triad Area) their "New Mid-Atlantic" hub? I'm sure this won't mean anything to you, but when I'm watching the news here in NY and the weather report comes up, VA & NC are always shown when they zoom out of the Tri-state area to cover the forcast for the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic region. Just speaking on what I see... :)

Just curious would Charlotte be considered southern or mid-atlantic, and would that make Rock Hill southern mid-atlantic, northern south, deep south, or just the south?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte would be considered MID-ATLANTIC , because it's in the state of NC. Rock Hill would just be considered part of the Charlotte Metro.... Just like part of Eastern NC is included in the Hampton Roads Region or Metro. :)

Wait, was this an argument of whether NC was a DEEP SOUTHERN state or just a southern state??

How can I say that Part of VA is southern and the other Mid Atlantic.....Well for the same reason that people say certain portions of states are in the south and the other portions in another region.

Wait, was this an argument of whether NC was a DEEP SOUTHERN state or just  a southern state??

How can I say that Part of VA is southern and the other Mid Atlantic.....Well for the same reason that people say certain portions of states are in the south and the other portions in another region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The poll was is "Where does NC fit"? And I said that it was Mid-Atlantic..So because I said it was Mid-Atlantic, you come back with this? :huh:(Well for the same reason that people say certain portions of states are in the south and the other portions in another region.) :rolleyes:

I will say it one more time...... Some Businesses & other Organizations also group NC in the MID-ATLANTIC REGION . People view things a little different than others......I'm glad that you're a proud North Carolinian, but times have changed... Dell seems to think that NC is a MID-ATLANTIC state, because it named the TRIAD region of NC for their new MID-ATLANTIC HUB Why is it so hard for you to accept the fact that NOT everyone consider NC is to be a Southern State?

Bronx Boy, Definitley not hard for me at all, I just asked a Question and you jump all over me, yes I do consider NC southern, you might think differently and thats cool, no need to freak out because somone dissagrees with you. Oh and thank you so much for posting those wonderful facts again which are obviously the deciding factor for you.

Bronx Boy, Definitley not hard for me at all, I just asked a Question and you jump all over me, yes I do consider NC southern, you might think differently and thats cool, no need to freak out because somone dissagrees with you. Oh and thank you so much for posting those wonderful facts again which are obviously the deciding factor for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NC GUY06

I'm sorry if i came across that way, that is totally not my style. Sometimes we get a little caught up in these forums. Again, please forgive me. :)

• 2 months later...

As a person who was born and raised in NC but moved to Va Beach (Virginia) ten years ago I can attest (at least to this region) is not the south - at least as most southerners would know it. For instance you don't hear the word y'all as much and generally there is just a different attitude of people. A lot of the attitudes of folks around here is just very different from the true south. I compared Raleigh to Va Beach and I was like whoa. Big difference there. Here is for instance. This is not personal as remember I am from NC myself lol. IMO NC has a gritty feel to it even in the cities but I seldom come across that here. People here are more emotionally laid back. One would really have to experience it to understand it. I am not saying Va is not the south but just that it has pretty good ties with the north that reflects in its people. Personally, I consider NC the south and Va the Mid Atlantic. B)

I didn't vote because I don't live in your state, but most sources (books, websites, magazines, TV shows, people from the rest of the South, etc.) tend to list it as a Southern state. Most sources also list VA as a Southern state. The reason most sources do so is because the two states are typically associated with the South because of geographic and cultural ties. I usually consider you part of the South, too (not that what I think is a defining thing by any means).

The language difference...I don't hear too many "ya'll's" and so on in Metro ATL. You usually hear those in the farmlands of Alabama and Mississippi where the area is called the Deep South. NC, SC, GA, and FL are not Deep South states. They are usually called Southern states, though, just not "Deep Southern" states. (My dad, who is from Pascagoula, Miss. will attest to this. He is an English teacher, ironically from a Mississippian :silly: )

However...

You actually live in the state and may have different opinions. Just figured I'd post this as a voice from the outside.

IMO NC has a gritty feel to it even in the cities but I seldom come across that here. People here are more emotionally laid back. One would really have to experience it to understand it.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow..and somehow your gritometer needed charging when you rolled through Norfolk and Portsmouth B) Sorry but the "Tidewater" is definately Southern...I have experienced it. Isn't Va Beach the place where that black greek fesitval "beat down" was all over the TV? Can't get any laid back than that :D

This whole discussion depends on how you define the South. If you base it on shared historical experiences (slavery, "the war", segregation, etc.) as I usually do being a student of southern history, then NC is certainly southern. I would argue that if you look at demographics, politics, religion, and other cultural aspects, it is also still pretty southern with much more in common with South Carolina than say Pennsylvania. If you base on other criteria, then perhaps not. I imagine that the John Shelton Reed crowd and Institute for Southern Studies crowd at Chapel Hill would find this whole discussion rather amusing if not disturbing. Anyway, I also want to throw out the possibility that living in the state's larger cities (as it seems most NC forumers here do) may create a greater sense of non-southernicity (is that a word?) than is real for the state at large. I know living in Atlanta, I frequently realize that I am in a very marginally southern place. But I also know that thirty miles in any direction and I am in communities as southern as southern gets.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't resist this one. It all dpends on were you are located in the state. Meaning hearing the yalls and southern slang. Growing up in Fayetteville I didn't hear much of that at all. Remeber that area has a diverse demographic due to Fort Bragg. I also didn't hear it much in Greensboro either. However I did hear it when I visited my grandmother in Clinton(30 miles to the east). I think NC is south. Although there are some good points made in these post. I lived in the Hampton Roads area for 4 years and it was about the same concept. You knew it was southern but it was subtle. 10 to 20 miles out in any direction the southern dialect was thick. Like up in York county or across the James river bridge to Smithfield. I have moved around a lot and been around people all over the country and world. I left NC in 1996 and have only been home for a total of 2 months since. I have lost my accent so people ask me where I am from and they say I don't sound like I am from the south. As soon as I visit Grandma though it comes right back. I am proud to be from the south and NC even though I can't visit her that much anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to North Carolina(Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Raleigh) quite a few times and I dont consider it to be part of the south IMO, and as far as southern accents go.. well I can count on one maybe two hands how many southern accents I've heard.

Plus I agree with Bronx Boy on some points that he made.

Charlotte is definitely Southern, although a little more cosmopolitan than other NC cities I've visted. When you can't find one bunch of collard greens in town on New Year's Day, I don't think it can get any more Southern than that, and I was told such was the case in Charlotte on January 1, 2005. :)

CatDaddy,

This is what I was saying before....People in the state of Tennessee or businesses in Tennessee call the state Mid-South. So since Tennessee & N.Carolina border each other, and N.C. borders the Atlantic Ocean, why can't it be called a Mid-Atlantic State? Geographically it really is.....IMHO

Here's some companies or organizations that place the state of N.C. in the Mid-Atlantic Region :

[url=http://www.mid-atlantic.seagrant.org/]

[url=http://www.longandfoster.com/]

[url=http://chapters.redcross.org/midatlanticblood]

[url=http://www.usalights.com/midatlantic]

Archived