Where does NC fit

blueize74

Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who Cares

North Carolina is both Mid-Atlantic and Southern. The Mid-Atlantic region is a subset of the North and South, therefore some states can be seen as both Mid-Atlantic and Northern and Southern. NC is definitely not in the Deep South.

Dudepussi,

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dudepussi,

I couldn't have said it better myself.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Bronx. Also, I think Charlotte is more Southern than RDU not only because it is significantly further south and less Atlantic, but also because South Carolina is bordered by South Carolina, an unequivocably southern state that some even consider to be in the Deep South. The Charlotte media give South Carolina a lot of coverage, whereas people in RDU are oriented more towards Virginia and DC. I have also noticed that the Outer Banks area and Northeast North Carolina tend to have a more mid-Atlantic identity than Charlotte because of their much closer proximity to DC, Philly, and NYC. Also, people from the megalopolis routinely vacation in the Outer Banks, increasing the feel that it is not very Southern.

Thanks Bronx. Also, I think Charlotte is more Southern than RDU not only because it is significantly further south and less Atlantic, but also because South Carolina is bordered by South Carolina, an unequivocably southern state that some even consider to be in the Deep South.  The Charlotte media give South Carolina a lot of coverage, whereas people in RDU are oriented more towards Virginia and DC.  I have also noticed that the Outer Banks area and Northeast North Carolina tend to have a more mid-Atlantic identity than Charlotte because of their much closer proximity to DC, Philly, and NYC.  Also, people from the megalopolis routinely vacation in the Outer Banks, increasing the feel that it is not very Southern.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow the Triad always seems to be forgotten in these disscussions. :(

Somehow the Triad always seems to be forgotten in these disscussions.

Triadcat,

I think the Triad definately has a Mid-Atlantic feel to it. When I travel to NC from NY and I go through that area,I've noticed that the Triad Region is a BIG test market for northern companies(I'm just waiting on them to get a WaWa's.. I love that place :) ) Also I've seen rowhouses(not many) in Winston-Salem & Greensboro that I haven't seen in other major cities in the state, to me that alone gives it a Mid-Atlantic / Northern feel. Personally, I always thought Winston-Salem & Greensboro had strong ties to the North( I know ALOT of people from the Tri-State area that call those 2 cities home now).

Just my opinion.... :)

Triadcat,

I think the Triad definately has a Mid-Atlantic feel to it. When I travel to NC from NY and I go through that area,I've noticed that the Triad Region is a BIG test market for northern companies(I'm just waiting on them to get a WaWa's.. I love that place  :)  ) Also I've seen rowhouses(not many) in Winston-Salem & Greensboro that I haven't seen in other major cities in the state, to me that alone gives it a Mid-Atlantic / Northern feel. Personally, I always thought Winston-Salem & Greensboro had strong ties to the North( I know ALOT of people from the Tri-State area that call those 2 cities home now).

Just my opinion.... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks BRONX BOY!

Yeah, I have met quite a few people from up north that live here in the Triad area. I visited Denver a while back (very nice city) and strangely even though it is much bigger than Greensboro, it was much more laid back and slower paced than the Triad. I have also seen breads, rolls, and other food items from the grocery store that are custom for northeastern cities.

I think North Carolina is southern AND mid-atlantic in geography and culture.

I think sometimes there are some people that tend to buy into the thought that southerners are dumb, uneducated and the like (by far, untrue). There are stereotypes that are perceived, if not also believed about the southern US. To call this area of NC anything but Southern by trying to give it a name of "mid atlantic" only denies what is rightly our traditional and right place within the southern region of the USA. I wonder if some of the rejection of being called a southern state has to do with many of the transplants that have moved here that are ashamed and embarassed for some reason that they now live in a southern state...and so they try to rename it to save face. ::shrugs:: Just a thought.

born and raised here..

To call this area of NC anything but Southern by trying to give it a name of "mid atlantic" only denies what is rightly our traditional and right place within the southern region of the USA.

ILoveCallingNCHome,

Wow!! This thread must've really gotten under your skin.....I don't think anyone denies the fact that NC is a southern state, as is Virginia & Maryland. What we're saying is geographically NC is positioned between 2 regions. Historically no one can argue with NC ties to the south, but culturally things are starting to change

(therefore tradition starts to take a backseat). Let's face it, people come to NC from all parts of the country & the world for various reasons (ie:School,Business,Vacation,Relocation,Television & Film Industry,etc..) and they bring with them some of their cultures & lifestyle(most of the time it's good, but sometimes a few bad apples bring trouble).

I wonder if some of the rejection of being called a southern state has to do with many of the transplants that have moved here that are ashamed and embarrassed for some reason that they now live in a southern state...and so they try to rename it to save face.

Ashamed? Embarrassed? Who's ashamed? So just because some posters on the thread feel the way they do, that automatically makes them ashamed of NC and the south? :rofl: Please!! Again, As another poster said, The Mid-Atlantic region is a subset of the North & South, and NC definitely falls into that category. See I think people that aren't from the East Coast believe NC to be in the Deep South, and we know that is not true.

DCMetroRaleigh Posted Jul 9 2005, 11:53 AM

North Carolina is both Mid-Atlantic and Southern. The Mid-Atlantic region is a subset of the North and South, therefore some states can be seen as both Mid-Atlantic and Northern and Southern. NC is definitely not in the Deep South.

I have 2 questions for you...

1. Please tell me another southern state besides Virginia & Maryland that's within 9hrs or less (by car) to 4 of the nations largest cities (D.C.,Balt,Philly,NY),and one of the most populated regions of the U.S.? The only one I can think of is North Carolina .

2. Why does some businesses & organizations consider NC to be Mid-Atlantic ?(If you look back a few post,you will see I listed a few) I'm from NY and I still live here, but I come to NC alot because my mother lives there. But I remember some time earlier this year when I came down, they were having a boat show in Charlotte.... the boat show was billed "Mid-Atlantic Boat Show"(you can check that via google.com if you like). I'm sure it was geared more to the people from the Lake area, but the point is they didn't call it the "Southern Boat Show".

I think sometimes there are some people that tend to buy into the thought that southerners are dumb, uneducated and the like (by far, untrue). There are stereotypes that are perceived, if not also believed about the southern US.

I just wanted to touch on this...I think that perception has faded for NC and much of the south, it goes back to what I was saying before about all the different people and cultures that are coming to NC. I think if people were more open-minded about "change" ,and forward progression for their state ....you would definitely change the views of those who "still" perceive southerners to be dumb and uneducated. IMHO, the south has risen again!! (Not the old south). From Hip Hop to corporate business relocating to the black migration back, the southern presence is being felt globally.

ILoveCallingNCHome.... I hope you don't feel I attacked you or anything, I just wanted you to see it from a Northerners perspective. IMO... By 2015, the NC that you consider "southern"will be no more. Just my thoughts.... :)

I think there should be a "Mid-Atlantic" Region forum on this board...... Because you guys have included TX,Ark,and Okl to the Southern Forum.

You have North Atlantic Seaboard & Southern USA, clearly there is room for a

Mid-Atlantic Forum. It would look a little something like this:

North :

New Hampshire

Massachussetts

Vermont

Rhode Island

Conneticut

New York

Maine

New Jersey

Mid-Atlantic :

Pennsylvania

Delaware

Maryland

West Virginia

Virginia

North Carolina

Washington,D.C.

South:

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Alabama

Mississippi

Tennessee (yeah I know it borders NC, but it's not an Atlantic state.)

Arkansas

Texas (which i think is South Central)

Posters don't have a cow!!! This is just my opinion, but doesn't this look like it would work?

I am a born and bred North Carolinian and I don't find anything objectionable about recognizing that NC while part of the South, is geographically in the Mid-Atlantic. There is no rule that you can't have dual identities. For instance, I am both Christian and Presbyterian. Saying I am Episcopalian doesn't undermine my Christianity. Moreover, even many of us born in North Carolina, don't feel or identify as particularly southern these days. I recognize the state's roots, but I am not stymied nor stuck in time by them either.

Bronx Boy wrote what's in bold:

"Wow!! This thread must've really gotten under your skin"

No, not really...well ok maybe a little bit ;)...Just I have my own opinion and thoughts about it all. I am a 7th generational North Carolinian. My accent and roots run deep and solid here in North Carolina. Unless God takes us to some other place, I plan to die here as well. My ancestors were farmers and businessmen. Tobacco probably has had a big influence in my life (between farming and then my father working @ Lorillard from the time it opened until his death in 1988) My grandfather was a potter with a shop and home on US 220 that passes through Seagrove back before it was "cool" or "decorative" to use pottery as an artform. (he ran that shop in the 1920's and 30's until the depression forced him to go out of business.) My dad's father worked as a railroad man, His grandfather owned farmland that now has the old A T&T building on it off Mt Hope Church Rd. I am a part of the HOLT family from Alamance County that has a rich history there. And so on and so on. That might not mean a lot to you...but to me it is MY history...my Southern roots here. We have our ways of doing things...and while change is sometimes good...we cannot change who we are just by calling ourselves something else. (and I understand you suggest we are both) I suggest we are just southerners...at least the ones that have lived here as i have. I am proud of my heritage and the legacy I leave to my kids where this is concerned. I am sorry if it seem(s) as if I am/was attacking...really I am. These are just my own opinions shared coming from one that was not transplanted here...but was grown here . From the sandhills to the triad area...my family has lived here, worked here, raised families here for many years.

.....I don't think anyone denies the fact that NC is a southern state, as is Virginia & Maryland. What we're saying is geographically NC is positioned between 2 regions. Historically no one can argue with NC ties to the south, but culturally things are starting to change

(therefore tradition starts to take a backseat). Let's face it, people come to NC from all parts of the country & the world for various reasons

But that doesnt change what is. I think by stating this, you prove my point. Nothing is changing but the folks that are transplanting here wanting to call it something else.

(for whatever reason)

Ashamed? Embarrassed? Who's ashamed? So just because some posters on the thread feel the way they do, that automatically makes them ashamed of NC and the south?

I am just suggesting that the only reason anyone would try to give the south (or this part of the south) another name of Mid Atlantic might come from some apparent stereotypical thoughts concerning what the south is . Some might not want from a business pov, to say that they are looking at a southern location as it might allienate some of their business partners. They appeal to a greater market trying to rename the region. That is the only reason I can see that folks might (from the outside looking in) try to change the main region label from southern to mid atlantic. If it is happening from within, I would most likely say it is happening because someone on the inside track trying to attract business is using Mid atlantic rather than southern to try to lure more business in. (which is disgusting to me)

oh good, I love questions ;)

1. Please tell me another southern state besides Virginia & Maryland that's within 9hrs or less (by car) to 4 of the nations largest cities (D.C.,Balt,Philly,NY),and one of the most populated regions of the U.S.? The only one I can think of is North Carolina

Im sorry, honestly I dont see that this has anything to do with this.

2. Why does some businesses & organizations consider NC to be Mid-Atlantic ?(If you look back a few post,you will see I listed a few) I'm from NY and I still live here, but I come to NC alot because my mother lives there. But I remember some time earlier this year when I came down, they were having a boat show in Charlotte.... the boat show was billed "Mid-Atlantic Boat Show"(you can check that via google.com if you like). I'm sure it was geared more to the people from the Lake area, but the point is they didn't call it the "Southern Boat Show".

Actually the only ones I see trying to change the regional name of our fine state from southern to mid atlantic are those that are transplants or those coming from out of the state to try to do business. I mentioned that stereotypical view thing...it lives...and it is alive...Most of the folks that are born and bread here are proud of their southern heritage, and what this state is. Most of the folks that started moving here...migrating here came because of what we had to offer as a great southern state, not because we were going to move over while they took over what was good already. When in Rome sort of thing. There have been many shows that have come like the boat show you mention...and in the past they did carry the name "southern" . If that trend is now changing it is being done by outsiders that do not appreciate our being in the south of this great nation...and would hope to appeal to more people by erasing that fact by saying "mid atlantic". To what I see it is purely a business move to even try to call it Mid Atlantic above calling it Southern. A rose by any other name is still a rose. A southerner by any other name is still a southerner.

ILoveCallingNCHome.... I hope you don't feel I attacked you or anything, I just wanted you to see it from a Northerners perspective. IMO... By 2015, the NC that you consider "southern"will be no more. Just my thoughts.... :)

Wow, and see, you are not even from here...you visit...but you are not a part of what is reality for our state.That's like saying that NY will no longer be a Northern State. NC is more than just the bigger cities, its more than just a place to plunk down big box factories . We are more than just a stopping point for a trade show. We were here before all that and have remained. By 2015 we shall still be a southern state...it might be changing...but only IF it is forced upon us by folks that do not appreciate our charm that are not from 'round these parts. ::grinz::

Going to fix myself a nice bowl of grits with some sweet tea...want some?

ILoveCallingNCHome,

I'm very happy for you & your family's deep history in NC ,but it's totally irrelevant to what is being said here. You seem like a very proud North Carolinian, but I think you pride is keeping you from looking at things open-mindedly. After reading your reply the only thing you kept saying was transplants this, and transplants that.....Well I sorry to tell you, but some posters that also thought NC could be both Mid-Atlantic / Southern aren't transplants. They were born and bred here just like you!

DCMetroRaleigh Posted Yesterday, 06:16 PM

I am a born and bred North Carolinian and I don't find anything objectionable about recognizing that NC while part of the South, is geographically in the Mid-Atlantic. There is no rule that you can't have dual identities. For instance, I am both Christian and Presbyterian. Saying I am Episcopalian doesn't undermine my Christianity. Moreover, even many of us born in North Carolina, don't feel or identify as particularly southern these days. I recognize the state's roots, but I am not stymied nor stuck in time by them either.

BRONX BOY Posted Yesterday, 05:20 PM 

I don't think anyone denies the fact that NC is a southern state, as is Virginia & Maryland. What we're saying is geographically NC is positioned between 2 regions. Historically no one can argue with NC ties to the south, but culturally things are starting to change.

ILoveCallingNCHome Posted Today, 01:34 AM

But that doesn't change what is. I think by stating this, you prove my point. Nothing is changing but the folks that are transplanting here wanting to call it something else

HUH? What did I prove? My friend, as I stated before (please go back and read) The Mid-Atlantic Region is a subset of Northern States & Southern States . I'm sure this is not that hard for you to understand....therefore NC,VA,MD fall into that region. Again, no one is denying that these are southern states ,but they are Mid-Atlantic States also. And what do you mean nothing is changing "just the folks transplanting here that want to call it something else" . Obviously you are very much in denial....You're so hung up on thinking transplants are trying to change your state. For once have you ever stop to think that maybe college bound kids from NC that go away to school in other states,then graduate and when they return home they have different views,opinions and ideas about NC from what they had when they left? Things change, people change...it's a part of life.

Ashamed? Embarrassed? Who's ashamed? So just because some posters on the thread feel the way they do, that automatically makes them ashamed of NC and the south?

I am just suggesting that the only reason anyone would try to give the south (or this part of the south) another name of Mid Atlantic might come from some apparent stereotypical thoughts concerning what the south is . Some might not want from a business pov, to say that they are looking at a southern location as it might alienate some of their business partners. They appeal to a greater market trying to rename the region. That is the only reason I can see that folks might (from the outside looking in) try to change the main region label from southern to mid atlantic. If it is happening from within, I would most likely say it is happening because someone on the inside track trying to attract business is using Mid Atlantic rather than southern to try to lure more business in. (which is disgusting to me)

This quote just lets me know that you didn't fully read my post..... Here let me help you.

I just wanted to touch on this...I think that perception has faded for NC and much of the south, it goes back to what I was saying before about all the different people and cultures that are coming to NC . I think if people were more open-minded about "change"  ,and forward progression for their state ....you would definitely change the views of those who "still" perceive southerners to be dumb and uneducated. IMHO, the south has risen again!! (Not the old south). From Hip Hop to Corporate Business relocating, to the black migration back south, the southern presence is being felt globally .

1. Please tell me another southern state besides Virginia & Maryland that's within 9hrs or less (by car) to 4  of the nations largest cities (D.C.,Balt,Philly,NY) ,and one of the most populated regions of the U.S.? The only one I can think of is North Carolina

ILoveCallingNCHome Posted Today, 01:34 AM Im sorry, honestly I dont see that this has anything to do with this.

This has plenty to do with what we're talking about....if anything it proves my point about were the state lies geographically, and that it can sit between 2 regions . Plus it matters for various businesses(Export,Trucking & shipping etc..) , getting a delivery from NC to say Philly via freight trucking is a closer & faster than any other southern state besides VA and MD . Trust me it's relevant and it matters...

Why does some businesses & organizations consider NC to be Mid-Atlantic ?(If you look back a few post,you will see I listed a few) I'm from NY and I still live here, but I come to NC alot because my mother lives there. But I remember some time earlier this year when I came down, they were having a boat show in Charlotte.... the boat show was billed "Mid-Atlantic Boat Show"(you can check that via google.com if you like). I'm sure it was geared more to the people from the Lake area, but the point is they didn't call it the "Southern Boat Show

Actually the only ones I see trying to change the regional name of our fine state from southern to mid atlantic are those that are transplants or those coming from out of the state to try to do business.

I've already touched on this....see, you're still stuck on this transplant thing. :rolleyes:

Oh I had read your replies. A few times at that before I responded. The difference is that you are looking at it from the outside in. I look at it from being a generational North Carolinian. Our POV's are very different. I understand perfectly what you are TRYING to say, I just differ in opinion. That doesnt mean denial, that doesnt mean someone didnt read your post, it mainly means they dont agree with your opinion or how you arrive at it.

To me the whole issue is much like how one might have said they sold used cars, now they say they say they sell pre owned cars. Either way...you still get a used car.

Regardless of how you try to catogorize or sub catagorize this region, you still get a southern region when in NC.

I just think it is a shame to try to deny that by subcatagorizing.

Calling NC mid atlantic anything leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The above is my opinion. Respecting it, even when different than yours goes a long way. I've heard yours. Now you've heard mine. We can agree to disagree and move on.

LoveCallingNCHome Posted Today, 01:34 AM

I mentioned that stereotypical view thing...it lives...and it is alive...Most of the folks that are born and bread here are proud of their southern heritage, and what this state is. Most of the folks that started moving here...migrating here came because of what we had to offer as a great southern state, not because we were going to move over while they took over what was good already. When in Rome sort of thing

ILoveCallingNCHome...No disrespect to you,but the stereotypes & perception that you say still exist will continue to be perceived that way by others, as long as people such yourself continue to deny the fact that with time comes change. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for showing love & standing up for where I'm from..but I'm also a realist. Shhh, I'm glad NYC today isn't the same NYC from the 70's & 80's ...as time went on things changed,now more people live in NYC than they have in the last 30yrs .

Just for the record.....with all the new progress in NC , you could drop the state anywhere and it still would thrive. People aren't just migrating to NC because it's a southern state, they are coming for better jobs, great collegiate oppurtunities, retirement etc.. What do you mean.. "not because we were going to move over while they took over what was good already"? What the hell? :unsure:

ILoveCallingNCHome.... I hope you don't feel I attacked you or anything, I just wanted you to see it from a Northerners perspective. IMO... By 2015 , the NC that you consider "southern"  will be no more. Just my thoughts....

Wow, and see, you are not even from here...you visit...but you are not a part of what is reality for our state.That's like saying that NY will no longer be a Northern State. NC is more than just the bigger cities, its more than just a place to plunk down big box factories . We are more than just a stopping point for a trade show. We were here before all that and have remained. By 2015 we shall still be a southern state...it might be changing...but only IF it is forced upon us by folks that do not appreciate our charm that are not from 'round these parts. ::grinz::

Ok...First of all, You don't even know me or anything about me. Only what I'm sharing with you on this thread, so don't say what I'm not a part of. You don't know when I'm in NC or for how long I stay when I'm there. Trust me, I know alot more about NC than you probably think I do... My mother is orginally from the Charlotte Metro Area , so I've spent ALOT of years between NYC & NC !!! I'm in the Music Industry, and I travel alot....When I worked for SONY MUSIC, I covered the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic Region .Guess what state was part of that region? I covered records store & chain stores from Boston to Charlotte , so I'm very fimiliar with the state. And I'm fully aware that NC is more than just it's major cities.. but like ALL other states in the US(gasp..even NY) once you step outside of the urbanized cities, it's mostly rual. So what's your point?

ILoveCallingNCHome,

I'm so glad that you posted.....I respect you opinions, as I wish you would mine. But I'm much more than a "outsider lookin in". I have roots there just as you do...I may not have been born there or currently living there for that matter, but I know alot about the state,and I have ALOT of family there.

I'm so sorry that the word " Mid-Atlantic" leaves a sore taste in your mouth.....But when i'm driving down 95 and hit NC, still feels Mid-Atlantic to me.

As you said let's respect each others opinions, and move on...It was great chatting with you. :)

Peace

I decided to google Mid Atlantic and these are the states I found. I will list my sources too:

DE, PA - www.capegazette.com

NY, NJ, PA, WV, DC - www.money.com

DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, WV - www.epa.com

DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, DC, WV, VA - www.answers.com

DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WA, WV - www.hostels.com

And finally, this site shows the MidAtlantic states to be DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA and VA.

I cannot recall seeing NC listed as a Mid Atlantic state.. at least so far.

I decided to google Mid Atlantic and these are the states I found. I will list my sources too:

DE, PA - www.capegazette.com

NY, NJ, PA, WV, DC - www.money.com

DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, WV  - www.epa.com

DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, DC, WV, VA - www.answers.com

DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WA, WV - www.hostels.com

And finally, this site shows the MidAtlantic states to be DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA and VA.

I cannot recall seeing NC listed as a Mid Atlantic state.. at least so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GUYNVB,

I listed a few organization on page 7 that has NC in the Mid-Atlantic region, but look at some of the responses you got from the different sites. The Mid-Atlantic region varied in states on different sites,right? As ILoveCallingNCHome wrote...it's opinions. Correct me if I'm wrong the info listed above was written from a persons personal perspective(that worked for each site) What I listed in my reply on page 7 was organizations & businesses in NC and surrounding states (ie: VA & MD) that include NC in the region.....As I stated to another poster, VA & MD are southern states but fall into the Mid-Atlantic region as well....

Hey.... That site (encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com), look at it again. I quote this from the Mid-Atlantic page. Check the site, and scroll down

It reads a little something like this:

As defined by the US Census Bureau, the Mid-Atlantic is a division of the U.S. Northeast region, and comprises New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania . Delaware, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. are treated as being in the U.S. South region .

As a matter of fact that site doesn't have a catergory for NC...If you go to the US South(whatever it's called on the site), you will see NC isn't even listed. They have SC,GA,FL etc...

So to be quite honest...these sites don't really mean anything, because the info varies from site to site.

If you ask me, and I'm from the North...NY and NJ are not Mid-Atlantic states, they're more Northeastern states....and that's coming from a Northerner. :)

Honestly, I don't care if one was to include NC as a Mid Atlantic state but I grew up in NC and never heard it referred to as such - only the south - but after moving to VA I have heard Mid Atlantic tons of times. Either way, its all good. :)

I've always understood NC as a Southern State. I live here in the western part between Asheville and Charlotte, and the thought of us being zoned north would make many people shudder. (I don't mean that in the stereotypical fashion) I'm sure a large portion of the population in the piedmont and coastal areas feel the same.

As for an oncoming "culture shift" in the next decade...I doubt it.

I can remember that kind of chatter back in the 70s/80s when I was growing up as well- "By 19__ North Carolina will be a very different place!"

It doesn't amount to anything.

Yea, we've came a long way in the last 20 years...banking is in control in many areas, the arts are thriving, etc...But the spirit of the state itself is still the same. It's not like we've just thrown everything out and started over.

And about "transplants"...In all honesty, I've found that most of the people that move here respect the culture rather than look away from it. The South is not something to be ashamed of like it was "way back when".

Just look at Charlotte...the city is in a rapid period of change right now, but I'm sure it will always be "The Queen City of the South", just as the tourism brochures say. (No, I didn't forget Atlanta, which I suppose is King) :thumbsup:

I am a native washingtonian (northern VA suburb of Reston). I just moved down here to Charlotte and there is NO doubt that NC (at least Charlotte) is the South. Furthermore, I think there isn't a distinct "line". For example, NYC is generally considered mid-atlantic, that doesn't mean though that the whole state is. I've lived in upstate NY (Rochester) and I can assure you that upstate NY is as Northeast as you can get. I came to this realization as I was shoveling 4 feet of snow from my driveway lol

I am a native washingtonian (northern VA suburb of Reston). I just moved down here to Charlotte and there is NO doubt that NC (at least Charlotte) is the South. Furthermore, I think there isn't a distinct "line". For example, NYC is generally considered mid-atlantic, that doesn't mean though that the whole state is. I've lived in upstate NY (Rochester) and I can assure you that upstate NY is as Northeast as you can get. I came to this realization as I was shoveling 4 feet of snow from my driveway lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I can agree with some of your points..... As a few posters said before, and I kinda feel the same, Charlotte does seem more southern than cities in the northern part of NC. I totally agree with you on the the whole NYC & NY state thing (being from NYC)... So I guess I should say that the Northern part of NC (to me) feels more Mid-Atlantic than say the Charlotte Metro area. I aslo agree, there isn't a distinct line for "The South", which is why I was saying that NC could sit between the 2 regions... If you look back at my past post, I NEVER DISAGREED that NC wasn't in the south as is VA & MD. I was simply pointing out, for various reason people,businesses & organization give NC a dual label...We can pull up websites,maps and charts all day, and I guarantee you we would all find various site that show NC as both.......but and the end of the day, I guess it boils down to one's opinion.. :)

I really hope I didn't offend anyone...just looking at it objectively.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a question for you....

Let's use history for the moment....I think everyone on this board can agree that VA (Richmond to be exact) was the Capital of the Confederacy.

Do you feel that today's VA is southern? I mean it's still considered by many near & far to be a southern state, but on this website it's place in the Northeasten Forum. I mean aside from Wash,D.C. Metro the rest of the state is southern (no doubt about that).

Hmmm.... Maybe I answered my on question, I went back & read your comment on the NYC/ NY State thing. Basically I just wanted your personal opinion.

**I really like that point you made..."There is no distinct line".

I have a question for you....

Let's use history for the moment....I think everyone on this board can agree that VA (Richmond to be exact) was the Capital of the Confederacy.

Do you feel that today's VA is southern? I mean it's still considered by many near & far to be a southern state, but on this website it's place in the Northeasten Forum. I mean aside from Wash,D.C. Metro the rest of the state is southern (no doubt about that).

Hmmm.... Maybe I answered my on question, I went back & read your comment on the NYC/ NY State thing. Basically I just wanted your personal opinion.

**I really like that point you made..."There is no distinct line".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we are saying exactly the same thing bro B)

Washingtonians love to consider themselves "northerners", when they are FAR more southern than they are northerners. There was this interesting online quiz that was something to the affect of "Yankee or Dixie?". It gauged one's dialect as more southern or more northern. I passed that on to all my friends in DC and every single one of them were distinctly more southern. I think the entire DC metro is more southern than northern. I have lived in NYC, Chicago, upstate NY, and now Charlotte so I have seen "southern" and "northern" as well as "midwestern".

To answer your question, I would say that VA is very southern. For example one could drive 20 miles southwest of DC to Manasas and there would be no doubt that you are VERY much in the south. The accents, the dialects, the culture, is all VERY southern. I think though that is sort of what makes up the mid-atlantic region; that mix of south meets north. Once you get north Baltimore, you "feel" like you are in the northeast, whereas if you head south of DC, you "feel" like you are in the south.

I agree. I also agree Va has regions that feel more southern than others. This is only my opinion but Richmond seems have a more southern feel than does Va Beach/Norfolk and that is probably due to the influx of the military. And like BronxBoy said Nova has a northern feel to it although it has a hint of southerness to it as well.

we are saying exactly the same thing bro  B)

Washingtonians love to consider themselves "northerners", when they are FAR more southern than they are northerners. There was this interesting online quiz that was something to the affect of "Yankee or Dixie?". It gauged one's dialect as more southern or more northern. I passed that on to all my friends in DC and every single one of them were distinctly more southern. I think the entire DC metro is more southern than northern. I have lived in NYC, Chicago, upstate NY, and now Charlotte so I have seen "southern" and "northern" as well as "midwestern".

To answer your question, I would say that VA is very southern. For example one could drive 20 miles southwest of DC to Manasas and there would be no doubt that you are VERY much in the south. The accents, the dialects, the culture, is all VERY southern. I think though that is sort of what makes up the mid-atlantic region; that mix of south meets north. Once you get north Baltimore, you "feel" like you are in the northeast, whereas if you head south of DC, you "feel" like you are in the south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ilektronik -thanks for your input, I was trying to explain the whole Mid-Atlantic thing to a fellow poster(Mid-Atlantic =North & South). I aslo agree with the D.C. thing, D.C. does have a southern feel to it... I also to that test, being from NY I scored as aYankee, but with the time I've spend in VA & NC I was very fimiliar with some of the southern phrases & expressions. Again, I thank you for your opinion...Have a good day :)

Archived